New gm and scouting staff wishlist?

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
I heard Mirtle say that Nonis was going to get turfed at the end of the year because Mirtle believes Nonis isn't the guy for the job in Shanahan's mind. Mirtle followed that up by saying he'd look for the best AGMs around the league or good GMs who just got their walking papers this year. In which case I would like to pose 2 questions to my fellow leaf fans here
1) Who is your choice for GM if Nonis is fired?

here is some suggestions on my part:

GMs on the hot seat:
Peter Chiarelli (Boston)
Doug Wilson (San Jose)
Doug Armstrong (St. Louis if they get bounced early again)
Chuck Fletcher (Minnesota)

Assistant GMs:
Rob Blake (LA Kings)
Paul Fenton (Nashville)
David McNabb (Anaheim)
Michael Futa (LA Kings Co-Director of Scouting)

Those are just off the top of my head.

2) Since the Leafs have endless supplies of money probably even moreso than the Rockerfeller family maybe they should invest in scouting and development? Where would you pluck scouts from to create an ideal scouting team and who would you hire to create a good development system (for example Hiring Mike Eaves from Wisconsin to work with young d-men in the leafs system or something)

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I heard Mirtle say that Nonis was going to get turfed at the end of the year because Mirtle believes Nonis isn't the guy for the job in Shanahan's mind. Mirtle followed that up by saying he'd look for the best AGMs around the league or good GMs who just got their walking papers this year. In which case I would like to pose 2 questions to my fellow leaf fans here
1) Who is your choice for GM if Nonis is fired?

here is some suggestions on my part:

GMs on the hot seat:
Peter Chiarelli (Boston)
Doug Wilson (San Jose)
Doug Armstrong (St. Louis if they get bounced early again)
Chuck Fletcher (Minnesota)

Assistant GMs:
Rob Blake (LA Kings)
Paul Fenton (Nashville)
David McNabb (Anaheim)
Michael Futa (LA Kings Co-Director of Scouting)

Those are just off the top of my head.

2) Since the Leafs have endless supplies of money probably even moreso than the Rockerfeller family maybe they should invest in scouting and development? Where would you pluck scouts from to create an ideal scouting team and who would you hire to create a good development system (for example Hiring Mike Eaves from Wisconsin to work with young d-men in the leafs system or something)

I would HIGHLY DOUBT Doug Wilson would come the the Leafs in any capacity. He and his family HATE the Leafs with a passion!

Rob Blake would be my guess! Is he not a friend of Shanahan's?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'd want Mike Futa, the guy who was a big part of building the Kings.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I would HIGHLY DOUBT Doug Wilson would come the the Leafs in any capacity. He and his family HATE the Leafs with a passion!

Do you know why he hates the Leafs? Just curious.

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton

I've heard shanny and Blake are friends also any idea why Wilson hates the leafs

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I'd go with Blake or Fenton (but anyone in the AGM) position.
Chia out of those people. but some of his decisions have been ehhh lately.

get some scouts from the CHL etc, and the find a lot of "co-directors"/assistant" etc who is ready to graduate.

rinse. repeat.

then we get a coach.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Scouting Staff : Let them hire whoever. Ours hasn't worked out.

1. Wouldn't that mean whoever is who we have now.
2. Despite the well heeledness of the dept., they still have to be guided. Burke wanted character tough guys. Shanny finally drafted talent....but its all a crap shoot.

BTW What's going on with those American picks?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Nothing wrong with the Leafs amateur scouting department. One of the better ones in the league since Morrison came on board.

But their pro scouting department really needs to be examined, hard. Some of the decisions they've made, especially in free agency, are down to the pro-department which has just been atrocious.

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
Nothing wrong with the Leafs amateur scouting department. One of the better ones in the league since Morrison came on board.

But their pro scouting department really needs to be examined, hard. Some of the decisions they've made, especially in free agency, are down to the pro-department which has just been atrocious.

I agree with this but I feel like we should get better OHL and Q scouts as well as some more in depth scouting in Russia

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
GM: Mark Hunter
HC: Dale Hunter

Scouting: Who knows, though I'm sure Hunter could use his scouting connections to put a good team together

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad