New format makes for some boring races

Bending and Tending

Dec 25, 2014
U.S.A.
Having said that, I still don't like that they changed the format. What was wrong with the previous format? It was a really good format that did not need fixing. Teams seeded 1 through 8 in the conference, none of this wild card BS.

3 divisional leaders in each conference when there are only 2 divisions in each conference...

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
It is interesting that the more things change the more things stay the same. Even though the format changed to accommodate time zone irregularities, and Winnipeg's existence.

That being said, if it was under the old format playoffs would look like (as of March 24th standings)
Washington -109
NY Rangers -92
Boston -86
Tampa Bay -89
Florida -89
Pittsburgh -88
NY Islanders -87
Philadelphia -82

People would complain at how Boston at 86 points is 3rd place instead of 7th.
West would be
Dallas -97
St. Louis -95
Minnesota -81
LA -93
Chicago -91
Anaheim -89
San Jose -88
Nashville -87
Detroit (9th) -83

People would definitely be up in arms at how Minnesota is 3rd place when they're 9th in points (because of how awful the North Western teams are doing this year) and how Detroit would be missing the playoffs despite being 8th in the conference in points.

The old system was not necessarily better, and no system is perfect but the current one fixed some issues, but created new ones that will be addressed eventually.
As much as I agree that the current format is better than the old, the other thing to consider is the amount of divisional game vs other conference team games vs the opposite conference games.

I seriously doubt Minny would be floundering at 81 points if they were taking on the juggernauts:sarcasm: of Vancouver, Edmonton, and Cal-gary more often than the Central. Ditto with Colorado. Dallas with there year would have completely abused the Pacific and probably had more points. The central might have been somewhat the same (swap a milquetoast Winnipeg for Columbus, and above-average Minny for Detroit).

IMHO that's why this system is better. Divisions matter, you play 4-5 times per year and if you're good, you see them in rounds 1-2 in the playoff for a 7-game knock-down-drag-out match.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
People would be absolutely losing their minds on here over that western conference scenario.

I agree that it's a boring year for races, but that's just the way the cards fell this season. Not much you can do when the game results aren't in favor of close races.

Problem with trying to slide points as they are now to the old format is the scheduling changes that accompanied the realignment. Between a division that has Vancouver, Minnesota, Colorado, Edmonton, and Calgary, I'm sure one or two of them is feasting on the others within that division. Either way, I'll take the boring races for more exciting playoff series and improved rivalries. The California rivalries alone have ramped up since the change.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
changed the format. What was wrong with the previous format? It was a really good format that did not need fixing. Teams seeded 1 through 8 in the conference, none of this wild card BS.[/QUOTE]

Under the old system, seeds 4-8 were wildcards. So you did have "this wildcard BS".

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I would love if they started to stack divisional games in at the end of the season like the NFL does. Things could change in a hurry. In current scheduling the Caps play the west 5 of their last ten games. How boring.

Plus it would give teams less travel right before the postseason.

I've had the same thought.

Under the old system, seeds 4-8 were wildcards. So you did have "this wildcard BS".

Nobody ever called them wild card teams, but you're right.

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
If you're a fan of a Central team there is nothing more annoying then having to wait for a 9:30 game start time to play a Pacific team. Doing that for 4 games in a series is just tedious.

I love the new format.

SharksCyclops

May 4, 2010
Bay Area
Detroit and Philly duking it out for the WC spot, throw Boston in there potentially losing the third spot in the division. Plus Boston and Detroit see each other the last day of the season...I could see that being a VERY big game. Sharks/Ducks/Kings all trying to win the division, plus the Sharks see the Kings once more this season. Plus almost every division the bottom team could easily fall into a wild card spot and it could result in, for instance, a NYI/NYR series, a DET/TB series, and as it stands Pitt/NYR, a SJ/ANA series...those all sound like great first round matchups.

I think part of it might be the distinct separation of good and bad teams this season. You could say ~4 teams where middle of the pack, while the others are playoff contenders or lottery picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad