Post-Game Talk: New era begins with a win! 4-1 Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
A few thoughts from near ice level:

Helle was superb--locked in and as relaxed during breaks as I have ever seen him. Mid-season form already.

Defense: I mostly watched Pionk and Dillon, as they will both need to bounce back from last season. Dillon looked great--used his size, has good speed for a big man, and made decisions within his scope. Pionk was less noticeable, but in a good way. I think he wants to play a less risky game this year.
Stanley looked as tentative this game as Heinola did last pre-season. I think he is feeling the heat, and he should. Hope they give all three contenders an equal opportunity.

Forwards-The most noticeable thing for me by far was Scheifele's demeanour. He was pumped, especially after his second goal, more animated than all last season. What a pleasure to see!
The first line is so fast and talented that they should keep them together for a while, despite the overabundance of riches.
Wheeler played his best first-game of the season in my recollection. He is a notoriously slow starter but I think losing the captaincy has unburdened him. Not worried about this line, once Perfetti (also a slow starter historically) figures out his teammates.
Was also super-happy to see Gagner score with limited ice time and taking face-offs. He'll be able to fill in anywhere he is needed this year.

Off the ice:
Trouba--saw his post-game interview where he shrugged and said it was nothing special being back in Wpg since half the team has turned over. No statues for you in the Peg, Jaykie-boy!

Finally, kudos and congrats to Scott Arniel for a very good job behind the bench, with little to no advance warning.

Great start to a tough first-10 games.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The one thing I wasn't all that crazy about was Perfetti below the goal line on the PP. It takes away a lot of what he's good at. But I guess that is what happens when all your forwards on the pp 2 are pass first guys.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
A few thoughts from near ice level:

Off the ice:
Trouba--saw his post-game interview where he shrugged and said it was nothing special being back i since half the team has turned over. No statues for you in the Peg, Jaykie-boy!

Great start to a tough first-10 games.

Great assessment. Jacob Trouba has never been one to seize the moment and drop a bon mot.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I'm really excited to see how that 1st line does against the very top lines. That second made me think that they will get exposed defensively at times. Though I'm fully confident they can also score against any line. I thought Scheif carried them last night with both Nikky and Kyle playing slightly below average. There is just so much talent between the three that there will always be chances.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Interesting, Brendan Dillon had the most minutes by far and Stanley 7 minutes less. Also, if you subscribe to corsi, Brendan did well there too. This is more of what I expected from him last year

I honestly thought he was the Jets best D last night. He really does well in system play and not Maurices' helter skelter system

R Zardo

Oct 4, 2022
Enjoyable game. Lots to like. Team should be fun to watch. I’m just glad all the non sense summer talk of PLD wheeler Scheif getting booed and not trying can be put the rest. Should be a great season!
Reality and HFB perception are two very different things.

My first time seeing Barron in person. He moves really well. When injuries hit I hope to see how he plays with the guys at the top.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
I think my favourite part of the game last night was the crowd booing Trouba when he had the puck. The petty side of me loved it :laugh:
The game is a little more fun when you have a villain. Even though I'm sort of happy for him that things worked out.

I wonder if we'll be booing Dubois in a year or two?

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
We have pretty well much covered everything. Just a final late observation. Did others notice the play where that bufoon Reaves tried to take a little run at Saku M. in the corner, and found himself on his ass instead? Saku seems like he has really good balance on the ice. Luv`d it myself.... .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad