Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
It's in the first word of his post.

tenor.gif

Reactions: I am toxic

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
For what it's worth, Harman Dayal of the Athletic offered a bit more detail recently on the expected roles of Harvey/Weisbrod:
Jim Benning has dropped Todd Harvey’s name on at least a couple of occasions when asked who’ll take over more responsibility in the wake of former director Judd Brackett’s departure. Harvey will function as something of a cross-checker who can give extra looks and add insight on players outside of his jurisdiction.

The fact Harvey, specifically, got mentioned was surprising. He’s only been with the organization for two drafts, serving as an assistant coach for the Guelph Storm before landing in Vancouver. Harvey was hired to scout in Ontario initially and because the Canucks have only selected one player (Ethan Keppen) over the last two years from the OHL, it’s tough to gauge his body of work. Vancouver did announce that he was gaining “additional responsibilities” as part of an organizational shuffle in September 2019, but he was one of five scouts receiving new assignments.

Benning insists Harvey will be instrumental in building this year’s draft list, but it remains to be seen how much influence he gets internally. John Weisbrod and Benning himself will have more influence in the scouting process, but from what I’ve heard, the former had his fair share of power running the department and meetings for most of this year, even when Brackett was around.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Alan Hepple (Avs' former Director of Amateur Scouting) is available. Looking at the Avs' draft record, they did a good job with first round picks but not much in the lower rounds. Overall I liked many of Avs' draft picks on draft day.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
ownership wether we want to say they are cheaping out or consolidating work, will probably not name one as it probably makes no difference with Wenbroid calling the shots. Kind of like there's no point in hiring a "President" for the team, when Aqua thanks having a Gm is more than good enough, and not hiring a director of amateur scouting is also good enough, since they will probably go by everyone's (scouts) opinion , and Benning calls the last shot and so for.

Will have to see if it works out. Personally I think it's Pejorative Slured we didn't name one, probably doesn't want a powers struggle again. We'll have to see what our prospect pool looks like post Brackett.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Alan Hepple (Avs' former Director of Amateur Scouting) is available. Looking at the Avs' draft record, they did a good job with first round picks but not much in the lower rounds. Overall I liked many of Avs' draft picks on draft day.
Would he want to work under a guy like Wormtongue?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
In the 'what does John Weisbrod actually do' category I remember it being explained some years ago prior to Brackett taking over that the scouts would report who they have their eye on to him to review and decide who Benning needs to see. So basically the gatekeeper between the amateur scouts and the the elite master scout talent whisperer Jim Benning.

With Linden/Brackett out of the way I don't see why they wouldn't just revert back to this format and not bother hiring a new person for the position.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
In the 'what does John Weisbrod actually do' category I remember it being explained some years ago prior to Brackett taking over that the scouts would report who they have their eye on to him to review and decide who Benning needs to see. So basically the gatekeeper between the amateur scouts and the the elite master scout talent whisperer Jim Benning.

With Linden/Brackett out of the way I don't see why they wouldn't just revert back to this format and not bother hiring a new person for the position.

I get the impression that's what they've done, without saying as much.

Reactions: MS

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Already happening here too. Bracket was forced out. All he wanted was more autonomy for his scouts. Clearly that’s because Bracket wanted no more meddling from Benning/Brod. He’s a smart guy, and left. He didn’t want his name associated with picks that weren’t led by his scouts. Smart move. Our loss though.
Brackett must hate having his name associated with Petterson, Hughes, Hoglander, Boeser, etc…

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Like him or not, Weisbrod is the AGM and his "gatekeeping" functions could either mean he presents all recommendations to Benning with his own thoughts or he only presents recommendations he agrees with. Either way there is a chain of command. Gilman was in charge of the scouting staff when Gillis was GM. If everyone reported directly to the GM there's no delegation.

The "Director of Amateur Scouting" position is simply a title. Was Delorme the "Director of Amateur Scouting" when he ran he drafts? When Crawford was running the draft he did not take on the title of Director of Amateur Scouting. I anticipate that if Harvey is going to continue running the draft he will take on the title officially. Right now, he's still listed as simply an amateur scout and likely earning his usual salary. Eventually that has to change if he's actually working in a Director of Amateur Scouting capacity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad