New dasher/glass systems being installed

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Wow. Im sure they've been tested to the nth' degree, but Man, do those panels ever look whippy!. They must work on the same principal as the spring loaded high-tension shock absorbers used in cars. Very interesting development to have finally seen demonstrated. Thanks LS. I understand the company that designed this system is also coming up with a padding system that covers the dasher boards around the player & penalty box gates (Chara on Pacioretty). I wonder how the system reacts to shots & hits in terms of full rink glass going wawa. Like a pebble in a still pond. Ripple effect.

Begs the question though; is it the glass or is it simply idiots like Cooke et al who show no respect for their fellow players?.... Also, whats the cost on these systems?. Any idea?.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The Kings have these new boards setup in their practice facility.

http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/07/11/around-the-rink-literally-at-camp/#more-15478
Finally, there have been some aesthetic changes to the Toyota Sports Center rink. The rink has been designated as one of a handful, around the league, to be a testing site for new safety features. The most notable is the movement of the glass closer to the ice surface. As you can see from the photos below, the glass is almost at the very inner edge of the boards now, which creates less of a “ledge” at the top of the boards. The thought is that the new design might reduce the frequency of odd bounces behind the net, and it mighty also eliminate some head injuries, by reducing the possibility that players will hit their heads on the “ledge.”
photo.jpg

photo1.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
True Habitant. The boards appear to be stationary underneath a rebounding 4'X8' pane of glass that reverberates arena-wide upon impact by a hit or puck. Like the frickin San Andreas Fault. East-West, North-South. All points of the compass. Thats just slightly disturbing if a hit or shot occurs on the other side of the rink and the reverb reaches you on the other side of the rink. There simply has got to be deadening effect after so many panels & the dissipation of energy. Be it 5 or 6 either way. I guess we'll see. Its either brilliant or quite possibly the biggest crippling agent ever devolved in the mind of man. :naughty:

TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Reminds me of the boards/glass set up at the Ottawa Civic Centre. They were always great to play on, because the boards had so much give to them. They made a ton of noise when you did hit against them, but as a player you knew you had a lot of give there and they wouldn't hurt you.

It really made hockey games fun to watch games there because any check against the boards made a lot of noise.

Trevor3

Nov 16, 2010
Stephenville - YJT
Having grown up on a rink with seamless glass, which feels like getting hit by a truck every time you go up against it, I can't tell you how much I would love to play on a rink with these new fangled boards. They seem to be the next best thing to pillows honestly.

I'm just thinking of all the pain that could have been avoided...

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
I remember when the seamless systems started appearing on the scene hearing that the players preferred the older framed glass in the last few remaining arenas because they had more give. Looks like they were on to something.

This system will be interesting to see in play!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad