New D pairings

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
People love a good narrative

Currently Barrie and Rielly are killing us so if you play them less in positions less likely to hurt and maybe have them kick in a little offense i think it's a win

Yea, watching Rielly get walked the other night against Boston hurt me bad......as did Ray who kept saying Rielly and Ceci cant allow him to enter the zone. What the hell was Ceci supposed to do there? Those things make a difference though.

Their stats this year pretty much say it all though:

Rielly/Ceci pairing:
OZone starts: 49.15%
CF% 51.30
SCF% 50.69
HDCF% 50.73
xGF% 48.32
GF% 48.78

Ceci without Rielly:
OZone starts: 45.83%
CF% 53.43
SCF% 52.98
HDCF% 55.90
xGF% 53.26
GF% 62.08

Rielly without Ceci:
OZone starts: 55.88%
CF% 49.83
SCF% 49.36
HDCF% 41.28
xGF% 48.17
GF% 26.30

Although Rielly/Ceci as a pairing have faced harder comp than almost any other pairing in the league, Ceci gets a lot of shutdown minutes with Muzzin to push him to the top of the league for QoC.

Look at those goal differentials though...man. Rielly is damn lucky Ceci is having a career year. Ceci is even the only D who has good numbers with Barrie in limited minutes although we know that will never happen...

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yea, watching Rielly get walked the other night against Boston hurt me bad......as did Ray who kept saying Rielly and Ceci cant allow him to enter the zone. What the hell was Ceci supposed to do there? Those things make a difference though.

Their stats this year pretty much say it all though:

Rielly/Ceci pairing:
OZone starts: 49.15%
CF% 51.30
SCF% 50.69
HDCF% 50.73
xGF% 48.32
GF% 48.78

Ceci without Rielly:
OZone starts: 45.83%
CF% 53.43
SCF% 52.98
HDCF% 55.90
xGF% 53.26
GF% 62.08

Rielly without Ceci:
OZone starts: 55.88%
CF% 49.83
SCF% 49.36
HDCF% 41.28
xGF% 48.17
GF% 26.30

Although Rielly/Ceci as a pairing have faced harder comp than almost any other pairing in the league, Ceci gets a lot of shutdown minutes with Muzzin to push him to the top of the league for QoC.

Look at those goal differentials though...man. Rielly is damn lucky Ceci is having a career year. Ceci is even the only D who has good numbers with Barrie in limited minutes although we know that will never happen...

That's why I think we're better off running a pure shutdown pair of Muzzin and Ceci

Rielly and Barrie clearly aren't capable of playing defensive minutes right now, in fact I'd use Holl and Dermott before I'd use those two for anything difficult

Reactions: SAMCRO44

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
More offensive zone starts for Barrie, less having to watch him get owned out front of our net.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
That will be ready in 3/4 years ?
no

We are a win now team.

Dubas felt we could win this year
A great team always looks to the future as well as the present. And if we are keeping Babs for rest of season then there is ZERO point in keeping Barrie. He will never ever excel in Babs system. You can say whatever you want it does not matter Barrie will never perform offensively in a Babs system EVER. It is not designed for a player like Barrie.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I fired Babcock a few days ago.

He lost the room.

It happens.
The boys played well last night. They came out hard in first. The effort was there. I don't think he has lost the room. But unfortunately the system the boys require is NOT there. This game was all about poor coaching for this particular group of players. Babs is not the coach with his systems principles for this group.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The boys played well last night. They came out hard in first. The effort was there. I don't think he has lost the room. But unfortunately the system the boys require is NOT there. This game was all about poor coaching for this particular group of players. Babs is not the coach with his systems principles for this group.

Fine.

Maybe he didn't lose the room.

But he's done.

And the losing streak will continue until he's gone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad