Confirmed with Link: New Coaching Staff - Tocchet, Gonchar, + Adam Foote | Boudreau, Cull Fired

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
In theory, Travis Green's coaching strategy is fine but he's terrible at executing. He has zero communication skills, can't motivate players to buy in, and didn't know how to run effective practices.

not to mention line changes.

I don’t understand the players crying over Bruce. You guys literally went 2-11 or something after finally getting to .500 while Bruce was on the hot seat. That’s not including starting the season 0-7 and blowing all the goodwill gained after the Bruce There It Is era.

plus, there's no crying in hockey.

Reactions: mossey3535

gringo

Jul 13, 2022
c'mon, that is the dumbest reasoning that I heard since the Flat Earth argument.
Deserve it or not, that is another issue. However, It does not make the management team has the right to do what they did.
If the choices are continue to allow Ownership to meddle or management drawing a line in the sand even if it gets a bit messy I’d choose the latter every time

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Really agree with #2 specifically. How fans/media have handled this is.. something. I'll bite my tongue a bit here to not offend some (well, most) people and just say that I am really in agreement.

He's been air-dropped into an awful situation. Fans are either going to complain if he wins games (ruining the tank) or complain if he loses games (this guy sucks, you should have just kept bruce!).
I won’t complain one bit if he loses. Tank in the best draft since 2013.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
100 point Petey was good while it lasted, also looking forward to Hughes playing at a 25 point pace.

Tocchet needs a certain roster, and he could be successful. The 2011 bruins would thrive under him, but this roster ain't it. I'm so dissappointed.

To blame Boudreau, one of the best regular season coaches and someone who has only missed the playoffs 4 times in 14 seasons before coming here is absurd. Especially when everyone minus Aqua + management knew how bad the defense corp was.

Looking forward for our top scorer having 65 points next season. We might just have the longest rebuild in sports history. If we thought the Keenan/Messier era was bad, the next 5-10 years are going to be brutal.

This franchise needs Brian Burke back so badly. I never imagined myself saying that. Atleast he had structure and a clue.

You have to hope Tocchet's learned something. AV got better offensively, loosened up a bit defensively.

Yeo and King are just there collecting their checks, they know they gone after the season is over. Tocchet, Gonchar and Foote is what I'm interested in.
Yeo is a JR pick, he is still here. Otoh the team went defensively backwards under JR's assistant coach picks, Cull and Yeo, one is already gone.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
You have to hope Tocchet's learned something. AV got better offensively, loosened up a bit defensively.

Yeo is a JR pick. We will see.
AV's situation was more unique, new GM takes over and has sit down with existed coach, essentially telling him it's adapt or die. I'd imagine JR must've been a fan of Tocchet's work in Airzona/Pitt to begin with.

Reactions: mossey3535

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I havent followed the thread. Has there been any speculation of who leaked the coaching change weeks ago to the media? Just curious.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It's interesting to note how far the Canucks have come in embracing Russians, since Gillis' embargo on players from that country.

Not only do we have Kuzmenko,Mikheyev,Podkolzin, Klimovich (Belarussian) in the organization..We now have a Russian assistant coach (who would have believed that..?).

This could finally be a destination for Russian players..?

Last edited:

Luongos Knob

PDO Kings
Jan 20, 2009
Tocchet always seemed like a generic coach for bad NHL teams that doesn't bring anything special and gets jobs through name power

oh no... wait.... I just realized we're the bad NHL team....

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
It's interesting to note how far the Canucks have come in embracing Russians, since Gillis' embargo on players from that country.

Not only do we have Kuzmenko,Mikheyev,Podkolzin, Klimovich (Belarussian) in the organization..We now have a Russian assistant coach (who would have believed that..?).

What was the reason Gillis never liked to draft russian players?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

I feel like the Gillis thing with Russians was kind of overblown. At the time, the KHL was a serious issue WRT Russian prospects potentially not coming over or just leaving while under contract. For a team that was going to have limited picks due to ramping into being a contender, it absolutely made sense at the time to generally avoid Russian players in the draft.

You comment on this rather a lot, so I'm assuming you're versed on the subject: Do we know that the team continued with this intention beyond 2011, when the KHL and NHL came to an agreement for player transfers, or is this based just on Gillis' comments in 2008 when the KHL was established, and then them not picking any Russians after that?

Last edited:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
What was the reason Gillis never liked to draft russian players?

The KHL presented a legitimate risk for Russian prospects to stay home or go home, especially between it's establishment in 2008 and 2011 during which time there was no transfer agreement between the NHL and KHL, which meant that there was nothing preventing players like Radulov from leaving for the KHL while still under contract to their NHL team. Hell, the Canucks had a promising former 2nd rounder do the same thing mid-season a few years prior.

It was more than just the KHL being a strong league with good pay, but also that there was no agreement that the leagues wouldn't poach each others' players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hit the post

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad