Speculation: New coach discussion

Who would you like to be the new coach

• Total voters

radkison

May 14, 2011
Mississippi
Threads keep getting closed, but this needs to continue to be discussed as it’s unlikely that Zito plans on intending on a rookie coach to carry us the entire season.

we’re in win now mode. Especially with a Huby extension looming

for me, it’s Babs or Gabby. I’d be thrilled with either one.

torts is a yuge no for me

I feel terrible for the players. Especially the guys that have been here awhile. They finally seem to have everything to win it all and the rug gets pulled from them

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I’d compromise with Julien. Boudreau is a big no. Torts is a yes, but probably after Julien.

Babcock would be intriguing but I’m sure he’s not even an option because of the player claims of psych abuse.

Reactions: violaswallet

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
There’s no need to make a rushed decision for the sake of bringing a big name coach or someone with experience. This doesn’t necessarily mean it will translate any better than rolling with Brunnette as he already has been with the team since 2019 and knows the boys. Give it some time, assess the situation, see how the players react to Brunnette and how the team performs. During this time start doing interviews or doing research if management is hellbent that Brunnette will only be interim and a new coach has to come in. There’s time. Thankfully we’ve built ourselves a nice little cushion to deal with some adversity if we start to falter.

Reactions: Ratsreign

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
It's not popular here, but Tortorella is my number 1 pick by far. This is a guy who wins everywhere he goes, squeezes the absolute most out of his roster and demands accountability. He despises losing, is incredibly passionate and has a system that stifles and frustrates other teams. I think the supposed "players hate him" narrative is overblown, and I don't think there's any real animosity between him and Duke/Bob. To me, it's a no-brainer that you bring in one legendary coach to replace another. Tortorella would be stepping into a much different situation than Columbus. Our team is already a well-oiled machine with tons of talent and depth, the kind of talent and depth he never had a chance to utilize in Columbus. From a tactical standpoint, a Torts system could potentially mitigate our weakest link - defense. His systems heavily rely on keeping pucks away from the net and everyone being responsible in their own end.

I think it's a great fit.

Last edited:

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Why are people a no on Boudreau? Lack of success in the playoffs?
Yeah I don’t really get that. Tortorella won the Cup like 20 years ago pre-lockout. Since then Boudreau has more series wins.

He’s lost in game 7 seven times. One bounce here or there and the whole narrative is changed. He’s always overachieved with his teams.

Reminds me of Andy Reid of the NFL. Everyone has a “can’t get it done in the playoffs” narrative until they don’t.

Stanley Cup Boundd

Sep 17, 2018
A new coach is going to want to bring in his own guys to assist, he’s going to want to implement his philosophy, his game plan…. I think we have to stick with the in-house candidate and see how it goes. Let’s give him a chance, maybe the guys rally around him & are extra motivated because they don’t want a maniac like tortorella coming in and screwing everything up!

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Threads keep getting closed, but this needs to continue to be discussed as it’s unlikely that Zito plans on intending on a rookie coach to carry us the entire season.

we’re in win now mode. Especially with a Huby extension looming

for me, it’s Babs or Gabby. I’d be thrilled with either one.

torts is a yuge no for me

I feel terrible for the players. Especially the guys that have been here awhile. They finally seem to have everything to win it all and the rug gets pulled from them

Don't like Torts but you like Babcock?

Reactions: Little Bobby Boo

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Julien is a great coach when given a talented roster - but he is piss poor with youth. FLA has a lot of coaches that could step in and have fun.
I wasn't sure if that either but the article states:
"When injuries forced the Bruins to call up 22-year-old defenseman Torey Krug last month with three regular-season games of experience, Julien eased Krug's mind by stressing not to be afraid to make mistakes. Krug responded with six points in nine playoff games.
It resembled how Quenneville trusts young, talented players until they prove unworthy of it."

Reactions: themilosh

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Yeah, that seems to be it.

Give Brunette two games, see how it goes. Can't replace him before then, anyway.

like i said before, go back and watch the road the winter classic with the caps.

i don't want to be too harsh but ... he comes across as a clown, walking around dropping F bombs. any time he was in a clip and he was addressing the team, it was a constant stream of bleeps.

he just did not appear articulate.

more importantly, his teams have never displayed the type of structure you need to win in the playoffs.

Reactions: WaitingForThatCab

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Torts is my vote. Actually is it too late to make this a poll?

But I’d also be ok with Boudreau, Julien, even Brunette if Zito trusts him. Hard pass on Babs.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
I'm totally fine with seeing the interim do his thing.

I think keeping the status quo on systems/lines/etc is the best way to go right now.

Reactions: Panteras

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
The thing about Torts is his history of run ins with players. Already in our organization he’d be coming to 2 people he’s had issues with, Duke and Lu. Also, Barkov and Laine are really good friends, I can only imagine what Laine has told Barky of Torts. He simply has a history of alienating players and we don’t want that at all with our current squad.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
The thing about Torts is his history of run ins with players. Already in our organization he’d be coming to 2 people he’s had issues with, Duke and Lu. Also, Barkov and Laine are really good friends, I can only imagine what Laine has told Barky of Torts. He simply has a history of alienating players and we don’t want that at all with our current squad.

barkov is a grown man. he can make his mind up for himself. he knows about torts' record of success and long list of glowing player reviews. he's also not going to take laine's word over, say, zito's, if it were to come to that.

Fern111

Dec 20, 2015
Yeah Torts' departure from Columbus wasn't pleasant for the players or himself and this team has a few important pieces coming directly from the Jackets. Imagine if Torts comes in and Duclair goes back on the 4th line and gets scratched halfway through the season, I think that's too big of a risk, Torts isn't the type to let talented players do their thing and I think that wouldn't be a good mix with Huby either.

As for the others, Babcock is obviously a no, don't need that energy right now.

Boudreau would probably be my pick, even if he hasn't had the most success in the playoffs, as long as he gets us there I have no doubt this team is talented enough to overcome that.

Julien...eh, compromise pick I suppose. He was very bad in Montreal but he was solid with Boston. I think it'd probably go well with this team but he kinda just annoys me for some reason.

We'll see how the interim goes but I honestly don't mind just running with him as long as things are going well,even into the playoffs if need be.

I'm not as worried as everyone else at the prospect of losing Q, the next few games might be tough but I think the team is too good to crumble that much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad