News Article: New CBA will mix things up

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
Some very interesting things are coming out of this lockout, after all. At least we didn't lost half a year of hockey for nothing (even if I would really like to have those games back.

I really like the "retaining salary" clause when trading players. We should finally see more actions on the trade front, which is always fun to see.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Why would u want to do this when we can just buy him out at the end of the season?

To possibly receive an asset? It would be something to look at anyway.

I have to say I like all these new rules in the article, especially the Luongo rule.

Viggo Mortensen

Gandalf the Grey
Dec 14, 2008
Gondor
If I read correctly, under this change, we could see something like:

Trading Gomez to a team with a low budget and internal cap while retaining 5mil in salary. (10mil left on his contract)

Habs gain a potential asset (bag of pucks), save 5mil $, free 7,35mil cap space
Team X has 7,35mil more to reach the cap floor while paying him only 5mil for the next 2 seasons

Its also better for Molson's pockets than the compliance buyout next summer

Gabe84

Bring back Bonk!
Feb 13, 2007
Montreal, QC
Wasn't that Brian Burke´s idea to begin with?
I guess this wont increase parity in the league, at least not in a short perspective.

It could potentially help parity.

Say the Panthers aren't willing to get Komisarek at 4.5m, but are okay to get him in a deal if the Leafs pay half his salary... Komisarek could potentially rebound and be good for the Panthers while not being overly expensive.

Also, don't forget that a rich team trading away cap space will have equally as much of their cap space used for NO player. Just dead cap weight, if that make sense. That doesn't help them get better. They'll just get a replacement player for cheaper. Doesn't mean they'll get better.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Quite happy with this.

Canadiens fans should be also thanking Gainey and Gauthier, who didn't sign any ridiculous cap circumventing contracts that could kick the team in the butt now.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
It could potentially help parity.

Say the Panthers aren't willing to get Komisarek at 4.5m, but are okay to get him in a deal if the Leafs pay half his salary... Komisarek could potentially rebound and be good for the Panthers while not being overly expensive.

Also, don't forget that a rich team trading away cap space will have equally as much of their cap space used for NO player. Just dead cap weight, if that make sense. That doesn't help them get better. They'll just get a replacement player for cheaper. Doesn't mean they'll get better.

agreed here. This will only help both teams involved, while making it possible for even more trades! I must say I really like these rules. I think it will really help the sport. Those who have the money to go to the cap ceiling and beyond have ways of putting their extra money to good use, and those clubs with not a lot of money have more ways of acquiring players for lesser money.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Retaining cap space/salary helps big market teams like the Habs. There's enough elements in the new CBA to promote parity in the league, I don't know why any Habs fan wouldn't be happy with this.

Myron Gaines*

We're lucky if we get anything close to an asset for Gomez. The new CBA would make him easier to trade financially, but it's still Scott Gomez, the guy who didn't score a goal in a year.

psychonaut

Sep 4, 2003
I see it as teams we sell allot more players near the deadline. The player that UFA at the end of the season you can ship out with 50% less cap. For example Markov next years if we be out of playoffs you could trade with a team that only has 3 mil cap space left. There going to be much more moment at the deadline now, prices will drop too I guess.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I don't know if people took time to read the part about front loaded contracts, but the GMs some thought were geniuses for getting low cap hits are now in line for some major headaches if those players retire before the end of their contracts, whether they are traded or not.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
If ever Kovalchuk decides to want out of NJ the team that will get him will get an excellent player for 3 Million... I like this new rule.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Quite happy with this.

Canadiens fans should be also thanking Gainey and Gauthier, who didn't sign any ridiculous cap circumventing contracts that could kick the team in the butt now.

youre right , they only traded for Gomez and Kaberle...

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
"any player bought out under these circumstances CANNOT be re-acquired by that same team"

Lecavalier at $4M/year ?

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
"any player bought out under these circumstances CANNOT be re-acquired by that same team"

Lecavalier at $4M/year ?

Yeah, but we'd also have to pay cap penalties if he retires (not for health reasons) before the end of his contract. TB would be paying the biggest cap load on those remaining retirement years, but Habs would also be penalized. By how much, we can't really tell unless we know how many years will be left on the contract when he does retire.

From the article :
" If Luongo were to play the next seven years of his deal in Toronto before retiring, the Leafs would be paying him $43.666 million in salary but only counting $37.31 million against the cap over those seven years, a cap savings of $6.356 million. So if Luongo retires with three years left on his deal (because his salary falls to $1.618 million in the 10th year and then $1 million in the last two years of the deal), the Leafs would get charged that $6.356 million on their cap spread evenly over the remaining three years of his deal. "

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010

Lecavalier at $4M/year ?

I would take him at 4 Mill a year. Question is, is it his 8 mill that counts against the cap or is it 4 Mill. If it is 4 then we could trade DD + something else for him. He would look pretty good centering the second line.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Yeah, but we'd also have to pay cap penalties if he retires (not for health reasons) before the end of his contract. TB would be paying the biggest cap load on those remaining retirement years, but Habs would also be penalized. By how much, we can't really tell unless we know how many years will be left on the contract when he does retire.

From the article :
" If Luongo were to play the next seven years of his deal in Toronto before retiring, the Leafs would be paying him $43.666 million in salary but only counting $37.31 million against the cap over those seven years, a cap savings of $6.356 million. So if Luongo retires with three years left on his deal (because his salary falls to $1.618 million in the 10th year and then $1 million in the last two years of the deal), the Leafs would get charged that $6.356 million on their cap spread evenly over the remaining three years of his deal. "
I'm pretty sure zzoo meant Tampa buying him out first... could be wrong though. Could make more sense for them to trade him for and take on half his salary... They're basically equivalent options in my mind for them: buy out costs more money, but the trade costs cap space (and some money) for a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad