2015-16: $575,000
2016-17: $575,000
2017-18: $650,000
2018-19: $650,000
2019-20: $700,000
2020-21: $700,000
2021-22: $750,000

BURIED CONTRACTS (Wade Redden Rule)
Money paid to players outside of the NHL counts against the cap.
A one-way contract counts against the cap as follows:
cap hit – [ minimum salary + $375,000 ]

So in 2012-2013, Salaries under 900k in the AHL do not apply to the cap. 2013-14, 925k (minimum salary above plus 375k)

REENTRY WAIVERS
Reentry waivers have been eliminated in the new CBA.

FREE AGENCY
Group 3 unrestricted free agency remains unchanged and begins on July 1 each year. UFAs may meet and interview with potential new clubs from the day after the entry draft (June 25 at the latest) until June 30.

CONTRACT VARIABILITY
Front-loaded contracts where the average of salary plus bonuses over the first half of the contract exceeds the cap hit, variability rules apply. Year-to-year variability is limited to 35 per cent of the first-year compensation. If a player earns $10M in Year 1, the contract cannot subsequently increase/decrease by more than $3.5M from year to year. Meanwhile, the lowest year’s compensation cannot be less than 50 per cent of the highest year’s compensation. If a player earns $10M in his highest year, he can never earn less than $5M any other year.
The old 100 per cent rule applies to any other multi-year contract.

CAP ADVANTAGE RECAPTURE (Roberto Luongo Rule)
Teams receiving a “cap advantage” from long-term contracts — defined as seven years or more — will be penalized in the event the player retires or “defects” from the NHL before the contract expires. A team receives a “cap advantage” when the player’s actual salary exceeds his cap hit in a given year.
Following retirement/defection, the “advantage” will be “recaptured” and charged against the club’s cap in equal amounts each year until the contract expires. This penalty applies to any team that received a cap advantage from the contract — ie. a traded contract — except in the event that the trade occurred prior to the new CBA coming into place in January 2013.

Since Brad Richard's contract exceeded 7 years (9 years), his contract will be subject to "cap advantage recapture."

RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS
Teams can retain a percentage of a contract’s remaining cap hit, salary and bonuses in trades. The following stipulations apply:
No more than 50 per cent of the salary/cap hit can be retained
Salary/cap hit cannot be retained on more than three contracts in one season
The aggregate cap hits retained cannot exceed 15 per cent of the upper limit
A contract can be traded only twice where salary/cap hit is retained

More details available at the following link:
http://www.capgeek.com/faq/new-cba-details.php

MOD EDIT: The official Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) via RangerBoy's link: http://nbcprohockeytalk.files.wordp...ed-cba-summary-of-terms_final-jan-12-2013.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Saw it last night but intermissions are now 18 minutes instead of 17.

At least that means if I run to concessions just before the period ends I'll be nearly to the front of the line when the next period begins. Guess they should call this the concession stand prodigy rule.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Is the 35+ rule still in existance? If not, the cap advantage thing can still be manipulated with contracts less than 7 years. (a 34 year old to a 6 year contract)

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Is the 35+ rule still in existance? If not, the cap advantage thing can still be manipulated with contracts less than 7 years. (a 34 year old to a 6 year contract)

i don't think it matters...if you sign a 21 year old to a cap advantage deal and he decides to walk away or go play in europe before the deal is up you get nailed with a cap penalty

i'm sure someone will find a loophole but so far the only way to avoid the penalty is for the guy to play out the deal.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Someone asked in the lockout is over thread if sign and trades will be possible with the new 8 year limit for resigning your own guys.

According to Bill Daly, yes, sign and trades are allowed.

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
because the nhl wants to punish teams that attempted to expose loopholes in the last cba

Now please correct me if I am wrong.

Can't the Rangers just buy Richards contract out when there are three seasons left on the deal? If I remember correctly he is owed $1 million in salary or so for those three seasons each year. Wouldn't the Cap hit for the buy out be 2/3 of his one million dollars for the next 6 seasons?

By that time those funds would be a roster spot at league minimum. The buy out cap penalty is/was 2/3's of the remaining $ on the deal per season. That is unless I am missing somethign that changed in the new CBA........

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Now please correct me if I am wrong.

Can't the Rangers just buy Richards contract out when there are three seasons left on the deal? If I remember correctly he is owed $1 million in salary or so for those three seasons each year. Wouldn't the Cap hit for the buy out be 2/3 of his one million dollars for the next 6 seasons?

By that time those funds would be a roster spot at league minimum. The buy out cap penalty is/was 2/3's of the remaining $ on the deal per season. That is unless I am missing somethign that changed in the new CBA........
The actual $ amount of the buy-out would be 2/3 of the actual salary. The cap hit is calculated as the difference between the buy-out savings and the would-be salary for those years. The cap-hit would be:
2017-18 $6,000,000
2018-19 $6,000,000
2019-20 $6,000,000
2020-21 $333,333
2021-22 $333,333
2022-23 $333,333

ChipAyten

NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY
Dec 19, 2008
Lawn Guyland
Look at all this madness. The salary cap has ruined American sports. Parity in a business where exposure and adverts are everything is ridiculous. For a society that loves to boast about capitalism this CBA would make Stalin and Mao Zedong jealous.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Anyone know why reentry waivers were eliminated? I'm curious which side wanted that done (or if both actually wanted it)... and why?

you can no longer bury cap hits in the minors so there is no point in re-entry waivers

Hockey Team

Hunger Force
Dec 30, 2009
New York, NY
At least that means if I run to concessions just before the period ends I'll be nearly to the front of the line when the next period begins. Guess they should call this the concession stand prodigy rule.

Concession workers will work 5.9% slower as part of the new CBA, so that negates the 1 minute concession advantage.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Anyone know why reentry waivers were eliminated? I'm curious which side wanted that done (or if both actually wanted it)... and why?

From what I've heard over the last few years, both sides didn't like re-entry waivers. It punished the player who was too good for the AHL because his team was afraid to lose him and it hurt the teams because they couldn't bring up the player they really wanted.

Waivers were orginally set up to prevent organizations from keeping players in the minors for years because there wasn't an opening on their NHL roster--having to send a player like that through waivers gave the player a chance to go to another team.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
From what I've heard over the last few years, both sides didn't like re-entry waivers. It punished the player who was too good for the AHL because his team was afraid to lose him and it hurt the teams because they couldn't bring up the player they really wanted.

Waivers were orginally set up to prevent organizations from keeping players in the minors for years because there wasn't an opening on their NHL roster--having to send a player like that through waivers gave the player a chance to go to another team.

Tim Kennedy comes to mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad