NEW: Cam Robinson Talks Sharks Prospects: Who Might Be Better Than Smith? His 2024 Draft Favorites?

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Finally got around to listening to the pod. Oof, Jesus Christ Pierre is a head in the sand ostrich through and through. Bringing up +/- on a team that is actively trying to be bad for several years is head scratching.

His main sticking point is silly. The current roster is more vets than it is kids on both sides of the line up even after the TDL. Burroughs, MEV, Benning, MacDonald, Rutta on D. Couture, Sturm, Hoffman, Granlund, Carpenter up front. Even Lebanc has almost 500 GP. Does he mean GP or age?

I didn't mind Pierre before but the pod really exposed his knuckle dragging opinions and I'd go so far to say he cannot think the sport of hockey at this point. He quotes too many mysterious people which leads me to believe he's most likely hunting for someone else to say something he already agrees with.

The more you dig into him, the worse it looks. His Stanley Cup run in 92....he was there for a year. That team had 6 HoFers on it. He lasted less than a year at his Senators gig as VP dev. coach, a single year as a NHL coach, and a year as an assistant coach.

His own wiki page is damning: "During his six months as Whalers head coach, McGuire coached the team to a 23–37–7 record.[17] McGuire was fired as head coach on May 19, 1994. After the termination, captain Pat Verbeek called it the best thing that could have happened to the Whalers. He said his teammates had no respect for McGuire and that McGuire was mocked by other teams.[18][19] In 1995, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman ruled that McGuire would forfeit half of the remaining salary owed to him by the Whalers for providing confidential coaching evaluations to the Edmonton Oilers. These evaluations had been prepared while he was employed by Hartford."

For fun, here is an AI generated Captain Obvious Ostrich.
craiyon_105749_Ostrich_wearing_a_captain_obvious_cape_.png

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
I think people are taking the Pierre McGuire take too seriously. He's basically just trying to say that Montreal is rebuilding the "right way" while the Sharks a rebuilding the "wrong way".

I'm sure having this opinion gets him a lot more clicks and views from the massive Montreal fanbase than he would get by having the opposite opinion.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
I think people are taking the Pierre McGuire take too seriously. He's basically just trying to say that Montreal is rebuilding the "right way" while the Sharks a rebuilding the "wrong way".

I'm sure having this opinion gets him a lot more clicks and views from the massive Montreal fanbase than he would get by having the opposite opinion.
If anything, this showed he shouldn't be listened to as a professional hockey analyst. That should be the takeaway.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

And what’s the difference between what MTL has done and what the sharks have done other than MTL has been doing it longer?

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
And what’s the difference between what MTL has done and what the sharks have done other than MTL has been doing it longer?
Screw themselves out of the elite prospects at the top of the draft with wins and still not be close to making the playoffs.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Could you phrase that claim in terms of which NHLers you have known since the early 80s so I can understand it better? And perhaps rattle off their draft years and positions?
I think it was Jonathan Toews that once said you fail to score on 100% of the shots you miss the net on.

And Herm Edwards said "you play to win the game." And i know he was talking about football but it's a universal point just like that one time Bobby Knight said "f*** this shit." and hucked a chair at a dude.

What I think I'm saying is that sports quotes are about layers. And winning. Or not winning. Or not not winning. And that I think I've lost the plot here but I've dug myself too deep into the hole to back out now.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I think it was Jonathan Toews that once said you fail to score on 100% of the shots you miss the net on.

And Herm Edwards said "you play to win the game." And i know he was talking about football but it's a universal point just like that one time Bobby Knight said "f*** this shit." and hucked a chair at a dude.

What I think I'm saying is that sports quotes are about layers. And winning. Or not winning. Or not not winning. And that I think I've lost the plot here but I've dug myself too deep into the hole to back out now.
"I throw balls far. You want good words? Date a languager."

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
"You either win or you play in Lulea. Whammo. Double Dion. Active stick. Try the new Wendy's extreme ranch crunch chicken salad. It's Toewserrific. Something about dirty pond water."

-Pierre McGuire, poet of our time.

Weave in a "how's your breath?" and you've hit for the Pierre Cycle

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The very beginning when they got all tilted over director of development titles triggered my PTSD of when I facilitated meetings between pointy-haired execs
I don’t know what pointy haired has to do with things but yes. That interview felt like they had to walk on eggshells with Pierre because he’d randomly go off on some tangent.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I generally like EP's content but Cam rubbed me the wrong way. Perhaps it's just my sensitivity to his being very "HFBoards" about his prospect loves (in love with smallish skilled wingers -- Perreault, Michkov, Benson -- and down on Smith... but excited about Luca, a small, hyper skilled D... and Parekh! of course)... he did come across, at least, as more talking head / surface-level than I hoped. More kind of "from the hip" claims based on opinion and observation rather than previous prospect conversations which were a bit more grounded in something, anything measurable.

Then again, the pro scouts and execs aren't out there on podcasts, they're currently heads down doing their jobs, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Still a nice job interviewing him and getting him to opine on the pipeline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad