New Book HNIC All-Time Rankings

IggyFan12

Jul 26, 2010
Just saw a book at chapters today that just came out. Hockey Night In Canada released a book ranking the top players in each position by either original 6 era or modern era. Dont have all the rankings just remember a few.

Goalies (Modern)
1)Brodeur
2)Roy
3)Hasek

Defenceman (Modern)
1)Orr
2)Lindstrom
3)Bourque

Center (Modern)
1)Wayne
2)Mario
3)Yzerman
4)Messier
5)Sakic...
9)Crosby

Right Wing (Modern)

Selanne ahead of Jagr.
Iginla 10th :)

Left Wing (Modern)
Ovi #1

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
As soon as I saw "HNIC" I knew it was going to be a disaster.

And how hard is it for people (not picking on you specifically) to spell "Lidstrom"? It's a totally phonetic name!

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Thanks for the warning... I will not be buying this book.

Hey - what's stopping the HoH section from releasing a top 100? Gear it towards the real history-heads instead of pandering to new fans. The write-ups this crew could give would be way more informative.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Thanks for the warning... I will not be buying this book.

Hey - what's stopping the HoH section from releasing a top 100? Gear it towards the real history-heads instead of pandering to new fans. The write-ups this crew could give would be way more informative.

There has been talk on and off about using the ATD as a jump off point to making a Top 1000 players of all time. Personally, I think that's way too ambitious to ever happen.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
As someone who's new to the drafts we do on here I'd like to see us do something as it relates to our lists. I can guarantee our list would be better than the Hockey News or CBC list.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Selanne ahead of Jagr...are we to assume that Teemu's mother helped construct this list?

I know there's a few people in here that will probably agree with it, but Messier sandwiched between Yzerman and Sakic? And those two ahead of Espo?

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
And you just knew they were going to rank Brodeur ahead of both Hasek and Roy as well...

Infinite Vision*

Ranking Brodeur over Hasek would be nearly the equivalent of ranking Lidstom ahead of Orr. Just plain dumb.

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
Ranking Brodeur over Hasek would be nearly the equivalent of ranking Lidstom ahead of Orr. Just plain dumb.

Even worse - considering Hasek has played professional hockey for over 26 seasons now (from the age of 16 to 45... and still going), winning at all levels. Orr only had 9 fullish seasons and a smattering of 3 more.

Hasek gets killed for only having 13 NHL seasons, but consistently fails to get noticed for his play outside of the NHL. Even if you completely ignore international play (which always seems to vault someone like Neidermayer) -- 3 Czech league titles (87, 89, 10); 3-time Czech league player of the year; 5-time Czech goalie of the year; 98 Gold at Olympics and Best Goalie of Olympics; Also awarded best goalie at World Championships (85, 87) and best goalie at World Junior Championships (1982 - at 17) -- Hasek's NHL resume alone does trump Brodeur's at a similar rate of Orr over Lidstrom (less wins, but 2 more Harts and two more 'best at position').

But given Hasek was still playing professional hockey, at an elite level, for at least 13 additional years outside of his 13 seasons in the NHL, I believe Lidstrom is a lot closer to Orr than Brodeur is to Hasek.

Last edited:

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
It is possible that they also have some strange criteria that influences these rankings too.

It may not be quite as bad as it looks at first glance.

But I wouldn't get my hopes up too much :)

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
It is possible that they also have some strange criteria that influences these rankings too.

It may not be quite as bad as it looks at first glance.

But I wouldn't get my hopes up too much :)

True, I'd love to see the entire list. But I have the feeling the entire list would just make things worse.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Even worse - considering Hasek has played professional hockey for over 26 seasons now (from the age of 16 to 45... and still going), winning at all levels. Orr only had 9 fullish seasons and a smattering of 3 more.

Hasek gets killed for only having 13 NHL seasons, but consistently fails to get noticed for his play outside of the NHL. Even if you completely ignore international play (which always seems to vault someone like Neidermayer) -- 3 Czech league titles (87, 89, 10); 3-time Czech league player of the year; 5-time Czech goalie of the year; 98 Gold at Olympics and Best Goalie of Olympics; Also awarded best goalie at World Championships (85, 87) and best goalie at World Junior Championships (1982 - at 17) -- Hasek's NHL resume alone does trump Brodeur's at a similar rate of Orr over Lidstrom (less wins, but 2 more Harts and two more 'best at position').

But given Hasek was still playing professional hockey, at an elite level, for at least 13 additional years outside of his 13 seasons in the NHL, I believe Lidstrom is a lot closer to Orr than Brodeur is to Hasek.

I agree with this but guys don't rate Lidstrom that highly in this foroum IMO.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Even if you completely ignore international play (which always seems to vault someone like Neidermayer) -- 3 Czech league titles (87, 89, 10); 3-time Czech league player of the year; 5-time Czech goalie of the year; 98 Gold at Olympics and Best Goalie of Olympics; Also awarded best goalie at World Championships (85, 87) and best goalie at World Junior Championships (1982 - at 17) --

Yeah, but how many games did he win for Team Canada?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad