New Back Check Episode: Pennsylvania Connection

rnhaas

Jun 11, 2018
Toronto
www.thebackcheck.com
Hi all,
We have a new episode of our hockey history podcast up. It's the usual format, an eligible player, a recently inducted player and an old timer. They all played for teams in Pennsylvania, which is about as good as we could do for our old timer.
  • Eligible player: Tim Kerr, 10th all time in GPG
  • Recently inducted player: Mark Howe, son of Gordie, who played with Tim Kerr in Philadelphia
  • Old Timer: Mickey MacKay, who, um, played in Pittsburgh. (Close enough, right?)
You can listen here, or on iTunes.

Thanks, as always, for listening and for allowing us to share it here.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Thanks again for this. Tim Kerr is an interesting name. He was a good goal scorer during his time. My question is is he a Hall of Famer? I don't think but I'd be willing to listen to people who think he is.

rnhaas

Jun 11, 2018
Toronto
www.thebackcheck.com
He's 10th All Time in GPG. I have a really hard time with someone Top 10 in a rate stat not in the Hall.

But: his numbers are completely inflated by his era and he was, to the best of my knowledge, rather a one-dimensional player. I don't see how he can be in.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I'm too young to have witnessed Kerr in real time, but couldn't anyone move him in the slot on the PP? Must have been other strong guys in the league at the time?

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
I'm too young to have witnessed Kerr in real time, but couldn't anyone move him in the slot on the PP? Must have been other strong guys in the league at the time?

He was so strong it wasn't funny. I remember a game in the Cap center when Scott Stevens (still with Washington) got Kerr so mad, Stevens skated to the other end of the ice to get away from him. NO ONE wanted to mess with Timmy Kerr.

Reactions: rnhaas

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Thanks again for this. Tim Kerr is an interesting name. He was a good goal scorer during his time. My question is is he a Hall of Famer? I don't think but I'd be willing to listen to people who think he is.

To me, if Cam Neely is in the HOF, then Tim Kerr should be in as well. Kerr is better GPG all time then Neely and in PPG. They are both tied in APG. They are both injury plagued stars and their careers are extremely similar. Kerr just didn't throw the body as much as Neely.

Reactions: rnhaas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad