Confirmed with Link: New arena to be named soon

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/entertainment/2016/03/09/new-red-wings-arena-named-days/81556614

Personally, I do NOT want the new arena to be named after a corporation. I'd rather it be named after Mr. Hockey himself, Gordie Howe. (Yes, I know the new international bridge will have Howe's name on it as well...but what better way to celebrate his legacy than that? And, for the record, I'm a Sabres fan who-hopefully-will make one last pilgrimage to the Joe next season.)

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/entertainment/2016/03/09/new-red-wings-arena-named-days/81556614

Personally, I do NOT want the new arena to be named after a corporation. I'd rather it be named after Mr. Hockey himself, Gordie Howe. (Yes, I know the new international bridge will have Howe's name on it as well...but what better way to celebrate his legacy than that? And, for the record, I'm a Sabres fan who-hopefully-will make one last pilgrimage to the Joe next season.)

As long as it's not something silly like Jobing.com Arena, I don't have a problem with corporate sponsorship.
Names like Comerica Park and Ford Field actually kind of fit for the Tigers and the Lions and even though I know they're corporately sponsored, I don't mind it.

Same with Great American Ball Park down in Cincinnati by where I live now. We just call it GABP or Great American or the Reds' stadium.
I don't think Illitch would do something super tacky, so I'm fine if it's got corporate sponsorship.

E: I really don't want it named after Howe. That would seem really weird to me. He's awesome and a legend and everything, but I think that's going a bit far.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
TS: In re naming the new arena, naming it after Howe was just an idea. The plaza outside the arena would work just as well. Here, the Bills' stadium is named after Ralph Wilson(the team's first owner)-it was known before then as Rich Stadium, after Rich Products(the same folks who gave us Coffee Rich, the non-dairy creamer for your coffee back in the day).

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
If you have to name it after a business or company, just make it "sponsored by" or whatever. "Gordie Howe Arena, by Little Caesars."

Easy. You're going to absolutely drench that arena in Little Caesars anyway. They're gonna be every 3 feet, there will still be pizza tosses. Take this opportunity to stay one of the classiest and distinguished sports franchises.

Don't like Howe? Fine, find a different name I really don't care. I really just don't want to be like the Verizon Center or the Honda center. Feels icky. I love being able to say Joe Louis Arena.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I have no problem with corporate sponsorship anymore. Not when almost every other (every other?) sports place in the U.S. (capitalist world?) does it.

What does leave a bitter taste in my mouth, however, is that this is going to get a ton of publicity in the midst of the Wings playing ****** hockey and pissing away their playoff chances.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Who would be the corporate front runners for the rights?

GM and Little Caesars are easy conclusion to draw but being from out of state I don't know who else would be in the mix.

invsb

Mar 7, 2016
I have no problem with corporate sponsorship anymore. Not when almost every other (every other?) sports place in the U.S. (capitalist world?) does it.

What does leave a bitter taste in my mouth, however, is that this is going to get a ton of publicity in the midst of the Wings playing ****** hockey and pissing away their playoff chances.

Wonderfully timed PR spin bs by the Wings. I'm beginning to dislike our management more and more. It is coming across as so phony and preying on the ignorant fan. They don't fool me. This team is crap and will be for the next few years. Who cares about the new arena when the team is mediocre??

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Very few stadiums/ballparks are without a sponsor. I've loved having The Joe for all these years. If it's a local business on the arena...that's fine.

Olympia makes the most sense...references the old barn and Olympia Entertainment. Before Nashville's barn was Bridgestone, it was Gaylord Entertainment. Olympia Entertainment Arena would be okay.

Dan Gilbert has been a spending mofo in Detroit...wonder if he'll want to slap Bedrock's name on the arena.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
^When I think of Bedrock, I think of the Flintstones. So I hope it's not that. I mean I get the name from Gilbert's perspective, in that Detroit didn't need rebuilding from just the ground level, but all the way down to the bedrock. OTOH, Gilbert made his bones (and billions) selling sub-prime loans/mortgages and was part of the problem with the housing bubble that caused the Great Recession. Now the guy is championed as some great savior of Detroit.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
There's already a Quicken Loans Arena and Gilbert's other public facing companies are small potatoes comparatively (Title Source Arena?).

Hoping for the Cadillac Center or the Buick Center or something. It'd be hilariously confusing if it was Chrysler Center.

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
Very few stadiums/ballparks are without a sponsor. I've loved having The Joe for all these years. If it's a local business on the arena...that's fine.

Olympia makes the most sense...references the old barn and Olympia Entertainment. Before Nashville's barn was Bridgestone, it was Gaylord Entertainment. Olympia Entertainment Arena would be okay.

Dan Gilbert has been a spending mofo in Detroit...wonder if he'll want to slap Bedrock's name on the arena.

I also think something based around Olympia makes sense. Something like: "Olympia Arena, brought to you by Little Caesars Pizza" covers Mr. I's business interests while still giving it a cool name.

utvolsfan

Oct 24, 2015
I also think something based around Olympia makes sense. Something like: "Olympia Arena, brought to you by Little Caesars Pizza" covers Mr. I's business interests while still giving it a cool name.

Not bad, I wouldn't mind it being "Little Caesars presents The Olympia"

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Problem with "Little Caesar's presents the New Olympia" is that nobody would say that mouthful she referring to the arena. A company paying tens of millions for naming rights doesn't want their brand name easily dropped in conversation. It's definitely going to be The "insert corporate name here" Arena/Center.

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
Problem with "Little Caesar's presents the New Olympia" is that nobody would say that mouthful she referring to the arena. A company paying tens of millions for naming rights doesn't want their brand name easily dropped in conversation. It's definitely going to be The "insert corporate name here" Arena/Center.

Idk it still gets the company's name on it. Plus something like "Little Caeser's presents the New Olympia" kills two birds with one stone. Locals/fans will start calling it just New Olympia or simply Olympia, but the radio/TV broadcasters would say the full thing on air.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad