New arena for Cuda proposed. City approves unanimously. Construction start 4/2020; completion 4/2022

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Rather than playing in cavernous SAP Center, Sharks (who operate San Jose city facility) have proposed nearly doubling size of facilities to 6 rinks, including 4200 seat arena for Cuda.

(Guessing college, HS, and other leagues and tournaments would also use arena.)

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Also, cue the SJSU hockey to D1 rumors.

As I posted on the BoH forum... have you SEEN that athletic department?

Usually, when a school is no good at sports, a conference keeps them around so everyone can have a bite. Which is what's happening here, but basically every other fan base in the Mountain West is done with their level of incompetence.

You get that school to drop football, maybe we can talk... and I'm trying hard to refrain from laughing at my comment as I type it.

Meanwhile, that area is just a streetcar line away from being a relatively easy one-transfer train ride from Stanford. Berkeley... no. Dear, no. The distance/traffic quotient alone is numbing.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
As I posted on the BoH forum... have you SEEN that athletic department?

Usually, when a school is no good at sports, a conference keeps them around so everyone can have a bite. Which is what's happening here, but basically every other fan base in the Mountain West is done with their level of incompetence.

You get that school to drop football, maybe we can talk... and I'm trying hard to refrain from laughing at my comment as I type it.

Meanwhile, that area is just a streetcar line away from being a relatively easy one-transfer train ride from Stanford. Berkeley... no. Dear, no. The distance/traffic quotient alone is numbing.

giphy.gif

Ralph Slate

Feb 16, 2007
What does this signal for the AHL in general? A 4,200 seat rink designed for an AHL team seems to lower the attendance bar. In Springfield, the acknowledged break-even attendance point is around 5,000 fans. When teams dip below 4,000, there is talk about the team moving.

Are the days of the AHL being a league looking to attract 7,000 fans per game over, in lieu of the teams being more of an appendage of the NHL team, meaning that it's OK for Belleville to draw 2,700 fans, as long as they are situated near Ottawa?

Reactions: Growlers

Growlers

Go Growlers!
Dec 9, 2017
What does this signal for the AHL in general? A 4,200 seat rink designed for an AHL team seems to lower the attendance bar. In Springfield, the acknowledged break-even attendance point is around 5,000 fans. When teams dip below 4,000, there is talk about the team moving.

Are the days of the AHL being a league looking to attract 7,000 fans per game over, in lieu of the teams being more of an appendage of the NHL team, meaning that it's OK for Belleville to draw 2,700 fans, as long as they are situated near Ottawa?

I was wondering that also. 4,200 seems VERY small to me for AHL

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

For some teams, the AHL is about prospect development and fans are an afterthought. San José thinks this way more extremely than everyone else. For some, they just don't get fans because of managerial incompetence in the market, like Calgary in Stockton and New Jersey in Binghamton.

Some teams don't care about the AHL fans and only prospect development, but leave ownership and operation to the whoever owns the AHL team as long as the prospects are still developed. This has seen some success with Washington/Hershey, Boston/Providence, Columbus/Cleveland, Detroit/Grand Rapids, Colorado/Colorado, Nashville/Milwaukee, among others.

However, most teams still care a lot. They would prefer their team operate in the black as well develop prospects, which requires a lot of investment. The AHL team for many organizations holds both prospect development value and marketing value for the NHL team. Dallas, LA, Anaheim, Arizona, Pittsburgh, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montréal, and Buffalo all follow this style.

San José has never really cared much about running their AHL team in any way other than prospect development. It is just that this is getting a lot of publicity. There are many more teams that run their AHL teams in less fan-frustrating ways.

Reactions: Goldenshark

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Looks like a similar concept to the new Blues practice facility the Centene Community Ice Center that opened in the fall with a 2500 seat arena used by high school, youth, and the Lindenwood University programs. Only difference here is that the Sharks are expanding an existing facility. For how they operate the Barracuda and the organizational philosophy this will work perfect for them.

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008
Is the low seat number some convoluted way to draw more fans to the Sharks games rather than Cuda games?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Nope.

Sharks sell out when they are a good team (and the region isn't in a recession).

Barracuda don't detract from Sharks

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2