[NEW] 2022-23 FPHL Season Thread

Andre Poodle Lussier

Apr 1, 2012
Semi seclusion

Article on the Thunder / Center Ice Arena "saga"

Allegedly the Thunder have talked to the city of Dover about a new rink but there's been little word (to my knowledge) that the city is actively looking to build something or that the state (which I'm sure would be involved) would be on board with flipping part or most of the bill. There's been "talk" over the years about a multipurpose performing arts/concert venue in Southern Delaware but it's been mostly just that. Short of someone willing to flip the bill with private money, the state's (and Dover's) appetite for a new venue south of Wilmington is relatively minimal at this point. The Pens family certainly aren't deep pocketed...

And the idea that this would take just two years is more or less bullshit knowing how things work in Delaware.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Where are the confirmed FPHL expansion cities for next year? Keep hearing different things.
Last year the League didn't officially announce expansion franchises until June 2nd, in conjuction with release of the 2022-23 season schedule. Based on previous history it's just as likely that individual franchisees will announce their teams, then approx. 50% of them go on to play actual hockey games.

Reactions: Francis10

CarolinaThunderbird

Jan 24, 2023
Where are the confirmed FPHL expansion cities for next year? Keep hearing different things.
I’m pretty Sure Wythville (sp?) is going to happen per a report I read recently from Bench Minor. I don’t see how that will work at all, but happy the Thunderbirds will have a team close by.

I think Baton Rouge will happen too. That will be an excellent market.

Reactions: Francis10

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
The Thunder have set up a 'save the team' petition, though I'm not really sure what it's supposed to achieve.

You can sign here:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The Thunder have set up a 'save the team' petition, though I'm not really sure what it's supposed to achieve.

You can sign here:
For clarification, the Thunder did not set up this petition. Per the Change.org description: "We, the Delaware Thunder fans and community members of Delaware and Eastern Shore, Maryland ... ." And there was already a post with link on the topic..

Andre Poodle Lussier

Apr 1, 2012
Semi seclusion
Time to bring back the good ol' Delmarva semi-pro hockey rumors? DelmarvaNow.com has gotta be itchin' for some solid sports content ...

Should hockey arena be Worcester's big goal?

Wicomico County may have an ice hockey team by 2018

Wicomico County/Salisbury are renovating the old Youth and Civic Center thanks to a bunch of grant money from the feds and state. None of the upgrades announced include permanent ice making capability (although they have hosted Disney on Ice in the past)...I'm guessing they'll have to shake someone down for another grant to get the ability to make ice to be able to host hockey should they ever feel the demand is there for it.

The venue would be a pretty decent SPHL/FPHL-sized venue (I'd guess for hockey it could seat 2500?) although with terrible hockey sight lines.

Reactions: Dingo44 and Roadhog

Andre Poodle Lussier

Apr 1, 2012
Semi seclusion
More fun in Harrington last night.

"Now we have 6 or 7 cops out here kind of swirling around for nothing because nothing happens out here except for a good time, a community get together and we love it," said Casey Sharp.

Makes me think of the scene where the ambulance is outside of the War Memorial in Slap Shot.

"Run the siren. Run the goddamn siren. I'm payin' for it. Let 'em know there's gonna be blood in there."

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
More fun in Harrington last night.

Makes me think of the scene where the ambulance is outside of the War Memorial in Slap Shot.

"Run the siren. Run the goddamn siren. I'm payin' for it. Let 'em know there's gonna be blood in there."
:heart: " 'This is my sign for outside because I can have free speech out here and this is my sign for inside because I can only take my face with me," said a fan with #SAVETHETHUNDER painted on her left cheek. ..." I wonder which "left cheek" she had it on. :huh:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
All this talk about where the DEL Thunder team will end up, but nobody has connected the precedent established many years ago by The Fed: The Thunder will become the League's next traveling team, until they find a new home ice under a different name & ownership or they simply disappear.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
All this talk about where the DEL Thunder team will end up, but nobody has connected the precedent established many years ago by The Fed: The Thunder will become the League's next traveling team, until they find a new home ice under a different name & ownership or they simply disappear.

Maybe they'll move into the ECW Arena. I'll buy a pot next door and hand it over the glass to be used in a tilly!

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The always-exciting FPHL is wrapping up their 2022-23 regular season tonight. Mississippi & Delaware have both been eliminated from playoff contention for quite a while now, leaving four teams each in the Continental & Empire Divisions prepping for post-season play (starting April 21st). Danbury has clinched the Continental, but the Empire champ remains to be decided by Saturday night's Carolina @ Columbus final game. The best is yet to come ... :hit:

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
The always-exciting FPHL is wrapping up their 2022-23 regular season tonight. Mississippi & Delaware have both been eliminated from playoff contention for quite a while now, leaving four teams each in the Continental & Empire Divisions prepping for post-season play (starting April 21st). Danbury has clinched the Continental, but the Empire champ remains to be decided by Saturday night's Carolina @ Columbus final game. The best is yet to come ... :hit:
Don't you mean "The best of the worst Is yet to come?"

Reactions: Roadhog

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

I’m pretty Sure Wythville (sp?) is going to happen per a report I read recently from Bench Minor. I don’t see how that will work at all, but happy the Thunderbirds will have a team close by.

I think Baton Rouge will happen too. That will be an excellent market.
Here's the current extent of the League's "confirmed expansion cities."

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Regular (in a Fed sorta way) season is over, here are the final standings ...

2022-23 FPHL Reg Season Final Standings.png

A special shout-out to the CAR Thunderbirds, who executed the perfect hook slide (or OT shootout in this instance) to bump the River Dragons outta the top spot of the Continental in their final game of the season. :clap:

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011
Here's the current extent of the League's "confirmed expansion cities."
The highlight of clicking that link is seeing that the Twitter feed the league has on its website to "View the latest tweets from The FHL" is linked to the Twitter account @TheFHL, which has nothing to do with the league, instead of to the league's actual Twitter account, which is @TheFPHL.

FPHL site.png

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The highlight of clicking that link is seeing that the Twitter feed the league has on its website to "View the latest tweets from The FHL" is linked to the Twitter account @TheFHL, which has nothing to do with the league, instead of to the league's actual Twitter account, which is @TheFPHL.

View attachment 689337
Dunno ... one of those Tweets sure seems consistent with FPHL content ... :sarcasm:

Screenshot_20230416_124806_Edge.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: FrHockeyFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad