Neuvirth vs Enroth

ZeroPT*

I've been thinking about the goalie situation and there really wasn't a discussion about it so I thought I'd start it.

Who do you think will emerge as the better goalie?
What will Murray do with the other goalie?
Which goalie is more likely to be a long term starter and why?

Discuss

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I'm not high on Enroth. I don't know if he's even a starter in the NHL. Neuvirth is a big question mark. He's shone some flashes at this level, so Murray may have found an excellent reclamation project. If not, we pray Ullmark or someone else pans out by the time the team is ready to compete.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I'm not high on Enroth. I don't know if he's even a starter in the NHL. Neuvirth is a big question mark. He's shone some flashes at this level, so Murray may have found an excellent reclamation project. If not, we pray Ullmark or someone else pans out by the time the team is ready to compete.

In fairness, Enroth's 25, Neuvirth 26. They've had similar careers up to this point, we've just seen Enroth's valleys with our own eyes.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I think Murray will try to trade one at the deadline, though not necessarily the one who is having the worst season of the two.

I don't think either has a chance of emerging as our long-term starter. As to which will emerge as the better 'tender next season, I really think one is as likely as the other. If i have to take a guess I'll say Enroth, because I've seen him have very strong stretches with this lousy team. I think the most likely outcome is that next season tells us little about which of the two is better. These guys will have no support on the ice and are likely to have great stretches in spite of it, and terrible stretches because of it.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
In fairness, Enroth's 25, Neuvirth 26. They've had similar careers up to this point, we've just seen Enroth's valleys with our own eyes.

I'm not just basing it on age. Enroth has a lot of holes in his game and he doesn't have the size to hide some of those. I've seen quite a bit of Neuvirth play, but yes, I don't know his game as well. Therefore, he's a bit of a question mark. Enroth's not so much of a question mark to me. I see a backup, not a starter.

I don't know that there's a long-term answer here either way.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I think they will both push each other. Nolan will simply go with the hotter hand on a game to game basis. Our GA will probably be north of 3.2 no matter who's in net :biglaugh:

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I'm not just basing it on age. Enroth has a lot of holes in his game and he doesn't have the size to hide some of those. I've seen quite a bit of Neuvirth play, but yes, I don't know his game as well. Therefore, he's a bit of a question mark. Enroth's not so much of a question mark to me. I see a backup, not a starter.

I don't know that there's a long-term answer here either way.

I meant to imply their potential growth would probably be similar. Unfortunately, Neuvy's got his share of weaknesses too. Altogether, though, I see strengths for both of them. I could see both as starters come 3 years.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Makarov - Petersen - Ullmark

Meh. It's not the SAME. We haven't seen anyone but Makarov in Buffalo, and that was limited appearance.

Maybe we'll get a injury this year and whoever is called up will stand on their head with zero goal support.

Then we can have some fun.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Meh. It's not the SAME. We haven't seen anyone but Makarov in Buffalo, and that was limited appearance.

Maybe we'll get a injury this year and whoever is called up will stand on their head with zero goal support.

Then we can have some fun.

I mean, that three-way controversy will have to wait for those guys

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
On the NHL Network Murray was asked about his philosophy for drafting goalies; Just wait til deep in the draft and then draft the biggest Swede or Finn on the board. He said he was joking as you can find a quality guy late in the draft just the same early.

As far as what Murray wants, he said it, he was a big guy who athletic. Therefore, I do not think he'll want to hitch his wagon to Enroth in the long run because of his size. Enroth played well for the Sabres but he had little support but he'll have to do the same this year if he's to stick around around. Neuvirth is big and athletic, hasn't always put the package together as consistently as you'd like but this coming season I'd be surprised if both are healthy if they don't get similar amounts of games.

In four years, I am positive neither will be here.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I think coaching will likely want to start the year giving them a rotation, and I don't particularly expect either one of them to steal it from the other from there. If I have to lean one way or the other, I lean towards Enroth. I've never been as down on him as some on the board, I think he'd look like a pretty average starter if he played for a pretty average team.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
Id like bring in one more. Make take a chance on a guy like Reimer who certainly will be out of Toronto this summer.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Neuvirth is better and has more potential than Enroth but his durability is a big issue.

Ullmark is hopefully the long term answer especially if he can build off of his excellent season. Listening to Murray makes it sound like the Sabres will draft a big, athletic Fin or Sweed late in the draft and not burn a higher pick on a higher rated goalie like Demko.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I like the look of a future where we have depth at the position at every level of the organization, and constantly have competition at the position and never invest high level cap dollars into a singular guy long term

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
I like the look of a future where we have depth at the position at every level of the organization, and constantly have competition at the position and never invest high level cap dollars into a singular guy long term

Agreed. I don't want to see another huge cap investment in a goalie unless we come across another top-flight Hasek-type. Keep drafting one every year, developing them well in the minors, and pushing the starter at the NHL level.

As for the 2014-15 situation. I think Enroth emerges with the job simply because of Neuvirth's spotty durability. I don't think Enroth is the long-term answer, but I think Neuvirth will get hurt for a stretch and Enroth will get hot enough to earn the #1 job.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
I think Neuvirth gets the first shot at being a starter and I think he'll be fine. But, fans won't be happy because we're so spoiled with goalies. I don't know about Enroth as a long-term starter. I think his size and weakness to high shots is an issue.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
During the same NHL network interview he also praised Enroth.
Starter will be Enroth
Nuevirth will get his fair share and then be traded at the deadline in which Hackett/Lieuwen will step in as the back-up.
Enroth re-signs 4/13 million.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
It doesn't matter who is better or who Murray likes better. One will be traded and the other might be re-signed as a back-up or split-starter for a prospect. Either way, neither one will be the long-term answer in net. I'll keep my hopes up for Linus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad