Neutral fans: Is there a player you're rooting for winning the Stanley Cup this year?

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Not entirely neutral, but these are some guys I would be rooting for regardless of which team they play for.

Frederik Andersen
Jaccob Slavin
Joe Pavelski
Miro Heiskanen
Roman Josi
Anze Kopitar
Pius Suter
Tomas Hertl
Josh Morrissey
Connor McDavid
Leon Draisaitl
Mathias Ekholm
Zach Hyman
Adam Henrique

If you want me to trim it down, my top3 are Andersen, Pavelski and Ekholm.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
There are people out there that are "west is best" or "as long as the cup stays in the west that just might root for McDavid even if they are Flames/Canucks fans. After 30 years maybe at this point they just want to see a Canadian team win it even if it were Edmonton
Were you rooting for the flames in 04?

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
There are people out there that are "west is best" or "as long as the cup stays in the west that just might root for McDavid even if they are Flames/Canucks fans. After 30 years maybe at this point they just want to see a Canadian team win it even if it were Edmonton
Yeah right……screw the rest of the Canadian franchises…..

Were you rooting for the flames in 04?
Or the Canucks in 2011 ?

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Yeah right……screw the rest of the Canadian franchises…..

Or the Canucks in 2011 ?

I found myself rooting for the Flames in 04, mostly because Iginla is a likable guy and that was a Cinderella run. Couldn't root for the Nucks in 2011, too many unlikable players on the team.

Reactions: devo09

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
I found myself rooting for the Flames in 04, mostly because Iginla is a likable guy and that was a Cinderella run. Couldn't root for the Nucks in 2011, too many unlikable players on the team.
I don’t separate the player from the team - want nothing but failure for all the other Canadian franchises, especially after 2011…..

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
First one that came to mind was Pavelski. Problem with that is I hate Suter so that means he gets one. But then, if they both win one, Duchene gets one and I think he's a good dude so if it means Suter has to get one so Pavs and Dutch get one, I'm ok with that.

Other former Preds I like to see lift the Cup are Ekholm, Arvidsson and Fiala.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Monahan winning the cup would make me smile.

Overcame a lot just to stay in the league, let alone resume being a productive player.

Seems to be a great teammate and consummate pro. Be nice to see him do the victory lap with the cup

Reactions: Boomstick

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
First one that came to mind was Pavelski. Problem with that is I hate Suter so that means he gets one. But then, if they both win one, Duchene gets one and I think he's a good dude so if it means Suter has to get one so Pavs and Dutch get one, I'm ok with that.

Other former Preds I like to see lift the Cup are Ekholm, Arvidsson and Fiala.
Pavelski, Burns. Okposo.
As a Caps fan, i’d be stoked for Orlov and Kuz to win 2nd ring.
Makar too, in Colorado. Always happy to see him collect additional hardware. What a player

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
What's a neutral fan? Is that one of those weirdos who like hockey but don't have a team?

The league is incompetent, the rules aren't enforced consistently even period to period, and the players intentionally have no personality as a rule.

Why would you cheer for that without some sort of obsessive investment that comes with being a team fan?

Weird behavior. Don't trust those people.

Also the answer is probably McDavid.

Last edited:

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
This combination intrigues me.
What, Canes and Stars?

I followed the Whalers back in the day, once they relocated I stop caring about them, they basically were an expansion team, the old identity gone. Grew into more of a heated rival in the new location. Salt in the wounds that they now wear Whalers gear for alternates. Take it off, you're not the Whalers. You abandoned that identity when you left. Banners still in the XL Center (Hartford Civic Center) and all.

I have more disdain for Dallas. 1999 sucked as a Sabres fan but even to this day I run into enough snooty stuck up fans talking crap about my franchise that it's enough for me to pull for Vegas over them.

Why would you cheer for that without some sort of obsessive investment that comes with being a team fan?
Want a real mind-f? I have 2 favorite teams.....they're rivals. Don't ask.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I honestly really don't give a shit who wins i just want the games to be good.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Not a player, but I want to see a Canadian team finally win the cup
We can hit 30 non Canadian winners in a row this year, which would be quite the milestone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad