TV: Netflix Squid Game

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I stop watching after one and a half episodes. Didn't see that the point in continuing after all players voted to end the game.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I watched the show, very very well done, certainly exciting to watch till the end.

Still, a lot of criticism too. I don't know if we're allowed to post spoilers in these threads or not? But for at least a few of the games/scenarios - if the players had just taken a minute to think about it intelligently, they could have had a waaaaay more positive outcome than what turned out.

I also thought the whole storyline with the cop was unnecessary and mostly boring.

Hoping for a season 2, to grow even bigger and better

Reactions: chicagoskycam

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I watched the show, very very well done, certainly exciting to watch till the end.

Still, a lot of criticism too. I don't know if we're allowed to post spoilers in these threads or not? But for at least a few of the games/scenarios - if the players had just taken a minute to think about it intelligently, they could have had a waaaaay more positive outcome than what turned out.

I also thought the whole storyline with the cop was unnecessary and mostly boring.

I am only on episode 4, so maybe I can't speak for what you have in mind, but at least in game 2 the players thought outside the box. These players are also under pressure for their life, so it's not as simple as just taking a minute to think about it.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I am only on episode 4, so maybe I can't speak for what you have in mind, but at least in game 2 the players thought outside the box. These players are also under pressure for their life, so it's not as simple as just taking a minute to think about it.

Game 5 is the most egregious case of "shit - why didn't they just do ______ instead". Won't go into any details to avoid spoilers.

You're right though, there were certainly some cases of thinking outside the box, and game 2 is a good example.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Game 5 is the most egregious case of "shit - why didn't they just do ______ instead". Won't go into any details to avoid spoilers.

You're right though, there were certainly some cases of thinking outside the box, and game 2 is a good example.

Reminds me of 'Outer Banks' season 2. I thought the 1st season was dumb but entertaining. But season 2 was infuriating. I stopped watching after the 2nd episode because of some completely stupid shit the characters pulled.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Reminds me of 'Outer Banks' season 2. I thought the 1st season was dumb but entertaining. But season 2 was infuriating. I stopped watching after the 2nd episode because of some completely stupid shit the characters pulled.

"Dumb but entertaining" is a good way to describe season 1 of Outer Banks. And it's funny, i've tried to get into season 2 and haven't been able to yet. I think i'm still stuck halfway into episode 1. I do think i'll give it a go at some point, but your description doesn't inspire confidence lol

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

I think that's the point, in a life or death situation people are not going to think rationally and as we saw, many of them were only out for themselves when it came down to it. As far a the cop it was far too easy for him to infiltrate the island without getting caught. That was my only beef. His storyline was in there so we could see the inner workings of the game and the conspiracy with the bodies. The workers were in sort of prison themselves.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I think that's the point, in a life or death situation people are not going to think rationally and as we saw, many of them were only out for themselves when it came down to it. As far a the cop it was far too easy for him to infiltrate the island without getting caught. That was my only beef. His storyline was in there so we could see the inner workings of the game and the conspiracy with the bodies. The workers were in sort of prison themselves.

Maybe workers wanted vengence against those who did them or family wrong (like embezzlement). Just a theory. We will see how it pans out

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Just watched the 1st episode yesterday and it has some promise. It's a nice time killer while the lady is off on the peloton for an hour, not quite enough time to finish a movie but just enough to get an episode in. This shall be the plan I suppose

Reactions: rocketdan9

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
You can post spoilers.

Just make sure only those who want to read them can

Thanks. And on that note.....

Big spoilers, so don't click.

Game 5 - The glass stepping stones. One of the most frustratingly illogical things I've ever seen. Why not just hold on to the sides? A bit like monkey bars? Or - tie a rope with your clothing, and have the lightest person jump ahead, if glass shatters, catch them, pull back and try again? There were so many obvious ways to be smarter about it instead of almost everyone dying. I know the latter implies they'd be willing to work together, and maybe there wasn't enough trust, but at the very least, hang off the sides instead of falling to your deaths like idiots lol

Also - the big reveal at the end with the Old man being in on it. I think the biggest logic gap there is in game 3, tug of war, his team almost 100% would have lost and they would have all died, barring a last minute miracle to pull off a win.

I suppose it's possible the organizers would not have cut the rope with the blade and somehow saved his life, but doing so 'ruins' the game for everyone, since everyone else who lost falls to their death. And I also suppose he might have said "if I die, I die, it's fine" - but that seems a bit unlikely too.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Thanks. And on that note.....

Big spoilers, so don't click.

Game 5 - The glass stepping stones. One of the most frustratingly illogical things I've ever seen. Why not just hold on to the sides? A bit like monkey bars? Or - tie a rope with your clothing, and have the lightest person jump ahead, if glass shatters, catch them, pull back and try again? There were so many obvious ways to be smarter about it instead of almost everyone dying. I know the latter implies they'd be willing to work together, and maybe there wasn't enough trust, but at the very least, hang off the sides instead of falling to your deaths like idiots lol

Also - the big reveal at the end with the Old man being in on it. I think the biggest logic gap there is in game 3, tug of war, his team almost 100% would have lost and they would have all died, barring a last minute miracle to pull off a win.

I suppose it's possible the organizers would not have cut the rope with the blade and somehow saved his life, but doing so 'ruins' the game for everyone, since everyone else who lost falls to their death. And I also suppose he might have said "if I die, I die, it's fine" - but that seems a bit unlikely too.

I think pulling someone back would have been a tall order by a t-shirt. It was quite the distance and weight transferred for the jump and this also puts the person behind at risk. They were on a time limit so to implement this when most of them don't trust each other is a stretch. So balancing on the rails was possible maybe but not within the rules of the game. They should have shown someone try it and then maybe they are shot for not playing, IDK.

As far as player 001, he stated he was willing to risk his life by being in there. He was about to die anyway so experiencing the game from the inside was most important to him. They obviously fake his death in the marble game but maybe that was planned all along. He obviously had the best strategy for tug of war but yeah there are a few leaps here.

He was also the final vote for them to leave. They wanted the people back they truly wanted to be there

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
242949140_2903744359758434_2092765307849126929_n.jpg

Reactions: rocketdan9

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Just finished the show last night. Must say that was intense. Superb visuals, engaging characters and struggle between humanity vs money.

Thoughts?
I don't see it. I am a fan of k-drama. My favourite show is a k-drama. But Squidgames feels to me like a poor man's Battle Royale. I stopped after 3 episodes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad