Dec 10, 2007
ATL
1652893259550.png

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
It's already had it's share of controversies and he has been defending the casting etc. He is the author of the original source material and is involved in the show so if he changed the gender/race of a character that is his right.

Reactions: HanSolo and Elvis P

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It's already had it's share of controversies and he has been defending the casting etc. He is the author of the original source material and is involved in the show so if he changed the gender/race of a character that is his right.
Certain Youtube channels: No it isn't!!!11!!

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Watched the first ep. It was a little all over the place, but good enough that I'll watch another ep and take it from there.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I watched the first 3 episodes and I'm really enjoying it. I haven't read the comic book series in a long time so honestly my memory in terms of remembering how true this Netflix series is isn't clear. I plan on reading it again once I finish watching the whole season.

My biggest complaint is that I don't like Patton Oswalt as the raven cause it simply just sounds like Patton Oswalt talking and it just comes across as very out of place tone wise. They should have just used a regular voice actor instead.

Reactions: JBeast

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I watched the first 3 episodes and I'm really enjoying it. I haven't read the comic book series in a long time so honestly my memory in terms of remembering how true this Netflix series is isn't clear. I plan on reading it again once I finish watching the whole season.

My biggest complaint is that I don't like Patton Oswalt as the raven cause it simply just sounds like Patton Oswalt talking and it just comes across as very out of place tone wise. They should have just used a regular voice actor instead.
This but for literally every celeb VO.

I mean - Patton is a true nerd so I'm sure this is a bit of a passion project for him, but just in general the reliance of celebs for VO work inflates budgets and puts more talented voice actors out of work with no tangible benefit to either the product or the money a project brings in. Generally no one gives a shit about who the VO is unless it's a very notable voice.

Like Despicable Me. Why the f*** do you need Steve Carrell doing a bad accent and is paid half of the budget of the Despicable Me movies? Is he adding value that another VO artist isn't at a fraction of the cost?

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
On episode 8. It struggles heavily to adapt the source material at first but really hits it stride halfway through. The first couple episodes are a mess but I knew those would be the hardest to adapt.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
On episode 8. It struggles heavily to adapt the source material at first but really hits it stride halfway through. The first couple episodes are a mess but I knew those would be the hardest to adapt.

I've only watched the first episode so far, and I was a little disappointed with how much they truncated the early part of the story. I understand why they did it though.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Starting episode 4 right now. Enjoyable but I have two very minor gripes.

both have to do with Constantine. First is a very minor gripe that's just a directing oversight that is somewhat common in genre shows/movies, but man the scene with the royal eloping wedding/exorcism was an interesting enough intro to what Constantine can do, but I found it a bit silly at the underreaction from the princess. A demon crawled out of her boyfriend's mouth and split his body apart. I don't think a typical person would be just whimpering after seeing that.

And I think Jenna Coleman is doing a solid job overall, but I think the whole arrogant/edgy as a cover for her in torment thing isn't exactly her strong suit. Something about the way she does her confident swagger smirk rubs me the wrong way on top of some dialogue I'm not crazy about, but that's not her fault. When episode 3 called for her dramatic chops she did well though, so nothing too souring.

And since I'm in a spoiler tag, I'm typing this while watching episode 4 and I'm really enjoying this depiction of hell.

Overall, I think it's shaping up to be a really solid, maybe even special title in the Netflix catalogue. Pretty good cast, pretty impressive visuals, solid pacing. And the first episode was a fantastic entry point. I just hope ten episodes worth of this maintains a compelling story. To be honest, with Netflix's recent troubles, I was kind of expecting worse, but this was made before all that I guess.

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
Watched the first 8 episodes. My favorite was episode 6 with Morpheus' interactions with Hob Gadling.

I didn't read the comic, but I felt the battle between Morpheus and Lucifer was pretty underwhelming. I guess I was expecting an epic battle between two powerful entities, but in the end it seemed like a children's game. Was it like that in the comics?

Reactions: NyQuil and kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Not familiar at all with the original souirce material, but enjoying the series through episode seven so far. You never know exactly what kind of storytelling you are going to get, and I like that. Definitely not run-of-the-mill.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Watched the first 8 episodes. My favorite was episode 6 with Morpheus' interactions with Hob Gadling.

I didn't read the comic, but I felt the battle between Morpheus and Lucifer was pretty underwhelming. I guess I was expecting an epic battle between two powerful entities, but in the end it seemed like a children's game. Was it like that in the comics?
It's been a while since I've read but if I remember correctly it was a very similar concept. I didn't think it was that character he fought though. It was also less contentious, more of a rivalry, less I want to kill you. It's been so long since I read it though so someone can correct me.

The truth is some things in this show will not come across as well as they did in the comic. It's too different of a medium.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Ended up binging the rest lol. Still very solid overall, teetering for me personally between an 8-8.5/10 but the last three episodes were a little underwhelming.

My gripes:

I get that this is supposed to be a loose interpretation of the real world but top at my list of gripes is the existence of a serial killer convention. I mean first of all I don't think there's hundreds of active serial killers to this day and if there were, I doubt they'd all converge for a convention. (on reflection, I guess that they do explain that the Corinthian's presence in the real world inspired a wave of serial killers, but the second part of that sentence is still a relevant issue, why would these serial killer's so brazenly and publicly gather in one place?) Second, the present day is the technological age, and you're telling me 300 serial killers could converge in one location without a single tip off to the police? I liked Dream's punishment and it couldn't have happened without that plot element, but it still felt really silly. Idk if that's from the comics but man I had to stretch my suspension of disbelief even in this mythological/magic based series.

Again, I don't know how reflective of the comics the show is, but the episodes weren't quite as compelling after Morpheus resolved the Ruby. The show crescendoed with that excellent diner extended sequence, had a really solid foray with Death and then the Hob storyline, but as it delved into the stuff with the Vortex it felt more convoluted, lacking a bit in narrative nuance and commitment to its themes, and just ultimately not as compelling. Though the stuff with the vortex blurring the lines between the waking world was a bit neat, if not fully fleshed out.

While the Corinthian was a really compelling and fun character, I don't know that they expanded on his story and purpose well enough. Just a rushed expo dump at the end before Dream offed him.

Have I mentioned how silly a serial killer expo/convention at a hotel is?

I don't know how close this stays to source material that I didn't read so I don't know how much credit I can give Netflix and the production team but overall this felt like really refreshing story telling even in the weaker episodes. And the production value and SFC were really top notch for this concept and considering a TV budget. I'm all on board for future seasons if Netflix has the money to invest further. As shows based on comics go, this is definitely in the upper echelon, though I'd struggle to place it above the Boys.

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Just finished watching. I thought the first half of the season was much stronger than the second half. Couldn't really care for the vortex plot, loved the entire John storyline.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I thought this was good but not great. I thought the pilot was rally good but visually too dark and I wasn't the only one who thought so (RMB went on a little rant about on one of his shows on his YT channel), then the next two were a bit slower. I had higher expectations for episodes 4 and it didn't exactly deliver. Episodes 5 and 6, especially the later were great but 7-9 just killed the mood. Season finale was good though. I'd probably give the season a 8-.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I hear they are also making Dead Boy Detectives and potentially a new Constantine series too.

SepticFish

Jul 14, 2005
Netflix just added an 11th episode. It's an hour long and split between two stories. The first half is an animated cat tale and the second half is about an author struggling with writers block. The cat story was odd and I can see why they kept it as a "bonus" episode. The second half was pretty good though.

Reactions: yada

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
Netflix just added an 11th episode. It's an hour long and split between two stories. The first half is an animated cat tale and the second half is about an author struggling with writers block. The cat story was odd and I can see why they kept it as a "bonus" episode. The second half was pretty good though.
I would have missed that wo seeing this post

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad