NESN NESN technical issues have become an embarrasment

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
This drives me crazy, it's as if they've lost their feel for the game. They'll go to a crowd shot, or a bench shot, or a closeup of a player looking at the thing I want to be looking at. The whole industry does a terrible job with hockey, they're always zoomed in too tight, the trailer is always off screen, the defensemen at the point are always off screen, you can't anticipate the play the way you can in the building. We have giant 4K screens now, zoom the camera out.

For $30 I wish they'd let us pick a camera to watch the way other streams do or used to.

This is an interesting point. I'd like to get @Fenway's view on this. Do different camera operators film slightly differently in terms of their zoom, manner of tracking the play, etc., or is it all strictly mandated by the TV execs or even by the league?

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
This drives me crazy, it's as if they've lost their feel for the game. They'll go to a crowd shot, or a bench shot, or a closeup of a player looking at the thing I want to be looking at. The whole industry does a terrible job with hockey, they're always zoomed in too tight, the trailer is always off screen, the defensemen at the point are always off screen, you can't anticipate the play the way you can in the building. We have giant 4K screens now, zoom the camera out.

For $30 I wish they'd let us pick a camera to watch the way other streams do or used to.
Yeah, you see gloves fly as the camera moves away from the fight or scrum. You can hear the crowd screaming and sometimes the PBP guy will make light reference to what the crowd is reacting to. Once they do pan in on what's going on it's half or almost over, THEN they go directly to a commercial and give a very partial snippet at that when they return from the commercials. I'd like to know if these camera people/ and the director in the booth like hockey or if it's just a job. Fenway?

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This is an interesting point. I'd like to get @Fenway's view on this. Do different camera operators film slightly differently in terms of their zoom, manner of tracking the play, etc., or is it all strictly mandated by the TV execs or even by the league?
@Aussie Bruin - The code is clear on both sides of the border as far as the Red Line camera and we are left alone for the most part. The toughest venue by far is Calgary as the design of the Saddledome has the cameras too low.

I try to split things up and work a replay camera occasionally which gives me the luxury of blowing a shot but if I nail it :)

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Xfinity and NESN don't get along and Comcast has refused to add NESN 360 to their apps menu.

Now ESPN and FSG have signed a deal

Starting this week, subscribers to NESN, which carries Boston sports teams including the Red Sox and Bruins, will be able to tune into games by tapping a dedicated link on ESPN’s app or on ESPN.com. In May, timed to the start of the WNBA season, a route to Washington, D.C.’s Monumental Sports Network will also be established on ESPN’s platforms. SportsNet Pittsburgh, which is operated by NESN, is also part of the agreement, though its telecasts will be added down the line.

• Wow
Reactions: GahdenRinkRat

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
I have to tap dance on this.....

The Red Sox on NESN don't seem to face the same technical greamlins the Bruins do.
NESN.gif

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I guess I might not fully understand. Isn’t this just access to the NESN 360 app thru ESPN? Here’s hoping there’s less technical issues.
thats all it is.
Im just hoping it will resolve the stupid log in issue i have when watching from a TV instead of my phone.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
thats all it is.
Im just hoping it will resolve the stupid log in issue i have when watching from a TV instead of my phone.
Yeah I was having issues logging in with my provider too. What’s weird is that the only fix I found was to use an old password I had for Breezeline that I had changed months ago. For some weird reason my old password works. I know it’s an old password because I can’t use it to look at my cable account.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I've thought about switching to streaming for years. But in Ontario, I have the Roger's Sports Pak which is just $43 a month and I get:

All NHL games
All MLB games
All NBA games
All NFL games
All OHL games
All NCAA football games
All NCAA basketball games

The only thing missing is AHL and NCAA hockey. And I can get those relatively cheap.

So I talk myself out of switching every year.
Dom is that with taxes? Here in NB the super sports pack is $35.95

Anytime the audio doesn't match the action, I wanna throw my clicker at the TV. It's infuriating and it sounds like I have it lucky since the app sounds even worse.
When that happens, exit the app and then sign back in again.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
NESN is the laughing stock of regional sports networks and it is absolutely pathetic. Oh how I long for the days when the Bruins were on UPN 38. I only remember watching the tail end of it when I was a kid, but it was so much more convenient to get to and fun to watch. Better play by play too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad