News Article: NESN is not traveling with the Bruins, and Jack Edwards is frustrated

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
NESN is not traveling with the Bruins, and Jack Edwards is frustrated: 'They know I’m not going to like it'

When this happens at TD Garden, Edwards, from NESN’s booth on the ninth floor, can describe the play perfectly. Because of his panoramic view, Edwards sees the entire ice plus both benches. Player identification comes naturally.

But on Wednesday, if this sequence occurs during the Bruins’ road game against the Panthers in Sunrise, Fla., Edwards will be as limited as every NESN viewer. He will be in Watertown at the network’s studio, calling the game off a monitor.

“Guys, all the time, skate into the frame at 15 miles an hour and crack a 90-mile-an-hour one-timer,” Edwards said. “And I have no idea who it is.”

This season, networks have the green light to travel for road games, but there is no consensus around the league on whether to do it.

Reactions: Richard Lather

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
That's how I feel every time I watch a game on TV. The way hockey is broadcast sucks, doesn't allow you to follow the play or anticipate the play as you would live.

How do you not get frustrated when the puck is floating towards the blue line and you have no idea if a defenseman is about to step into a big shot or if he's changing out and the winger's about to start the rush the other way? How do you not want to know what the defenseman is looking at up ice, if he has a passing lane to a streaking forward, if he has room to skate up ice himself?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
My guess NESN will continue doing this as long as they can.

They didn't travel for the Red Sox either. On paper, they are saving $50 to $75K a show.

This is Tom Werner's call.
He's too busy to care.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I know what will happen in the not too distant future.

There will be a home game where the entire crew gets sick around 7:06 PM ( and there will be no visiting feed to fall back on )

upload_2021-10-28_14-27-33.jpeg

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Happened with the Red Sox and also NBC Boston has been doing it for the Celtics announcers too

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
The broadcast suffers on two fronts...

1) The disconnect between announcer and the game is palpable

2) The pictures being provided are very "home-team-centric"

It also kills their ability to see the play developing, especially breaking down a play.

Live you see the entire ice all the time, on feed you only get the zoomed in view

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

Personally, it doesn’t bother me but I’m not a fan of Jack Edwards and am content watching the other teams game feed .

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I've always hated that angle... Whenever they play in Florida or Dallas, my buddy and I always text each other "Damn low camera angle"
I was referring to the camera angle they aired that followed the players around and it was more vertical up and down the ice rather then side to side. Not that wretched low angle you're referring too where you end up watching half the game thru the glass..

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Feel bad for the Bruins crew and us fans.

It sucks, but the only alternative is to sometimes watch the opposing teams feed - for those that have access to it.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

Last night I forget what Brick was asking Jack, but the response was, "Brick, I...I don't know I'm watching it on TV"

There didn't seem to be any communication at all between the truck and Jack/Brick. So many times the replay would be totally unrelated to what J & B were discussing, or the replay would cut short right before it was getting to the important part.

The picture is shoddy and cut out more than once. The whole thing is years behind where it should be now.

Bmf316nhl

But there's no dog
Jul 8, 2007
3 miles south of MA.
Last night I forget what Brick was asking Jack, but the response was, "Brick, I...I don't know I'm watching it on TV"

There didn't seem to be any communication at all between the truck and Jack/Brick. So many times the replay would be totally unrelated to what J & B were discussing, or the replay would cut short right before it was getting to the important part.

The picture is shoddy and cut out more than once. The whole thing is years behind where it should be now.

Last year, I think they took it in stride due to the circumstances.

This year, even though it's only been two games, the frustration is apparent.

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Well there’s always been a disconnect between Jack and the game, but now it’s just going to be worse

Reactions: Oryxo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad