Neighbors not thrilled with new Verizon Center billboards

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...a734c2-3681-11e3-be86-6aeaa439845b_story.html

Two year approval process, unanimous approval by city department.

Estimated to bring in $8-10mm in **tax revenue** to city. (Which may also have an HRR impact.)

But (residential) neighbors are complaining (and have been for two years) that it's changing the environment of the neighborhood, and concerned about dropping property values. Adjacent condo owners really upset as they loved their city view and now have to keep blinds closed at night.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...a734c2-3681-11e3-be86-6aeaa439845b_story.html

Estimated to bring in $8-10mm in **tax revenue** to city. (Which may also have an HRR impact.)

But (residential) neighbors are complaining (and have been for two years) that it's changing the environment of the neighborhood, and concerned about dropping property values. Adjacent condo owners really upset as they loved their city view and now have to keep blinds closed at night.

I'm guessing that the "which could lead to $8 million to $10 million in tax revenue for the District" line is actually a typo and that number is the total revenue generated (or taxable revenue) not the amount the city receives (or the aggregate over a number of years) - I do not see the screens generating multiple tens of millions of $$$/yr. The article later states "Monumental, which owns the Washington Capitals, Wizards and Mystics, also pays taxes on the billboards’ revenue, said Randall Boe, the company’s executive vice president."

That said, whatever gross revenues Monumental/The Verizon Center/Caps receive from the screens, 32.5% will be included in HRR - since the Verizon Center is an Affiliated Two-Team Arena.

Fixed Signage is advertising (inside or outside) that is not specific to just NHL events. Signage used for only NHL events is covered in the next section (R) Temporary Signage.

(Q) Fixed Signage and Arena Sponsorships.

(1) As to fixed signage inside or outside of an "Unaffiliated
Arena" and as to all Unaffiliated Arena sponsorships, all
revenues received by a Club or a Club Affiliated Entity
from the sale of advertising or fixed signage (i.e., signage
that does not relate only to NHL hockey events) or
sponsorships, without netting of any costs.

(2) As to fixed signage inside or outside of a Club's "Affiliated
Arena" and as to all Affiliated Arena sponsorships
, sixty five
(65) percent of the revenues received by such Club or
Club Affiliated Entity derived from the sale of advertising
or fixed signage or arena sponsorships of that Club's arena
for a "Single-Team Arena" (i.e., an arena in which an NHL
team plays its home games, and no NBA team plays its
home games), or thirty-two and one-half (32.5) percent of
the revenues received by such Club or Club Affiliated
Entity derived from the sale of advertising or fixed signage
or arena sponsorships in that Club's arena for a "Two-Team
Arena" (i.e., an arena in which an NHL team plays its home
games, and in which arena an NBA team also plays its
home games)
, with such allocations to be done without
netting of any costs, provided, however, that to the extent
an arena enters into a separate contractual arrangement with
a third party (i.e., a non-Club Affiliated Entity such as the
Los Angeles Clippers) regarding fixed arena signage inside
or outside of such arena, advertising, or arena sponsorships,
then revenues paid pursuant to such third-party contracts
shall be deducted prior to the application of the abovelisted
percentages, provided that the NHLPA shall have the
right to object to any such separate contractual arrangement
with a third party on the basis that the purpose of that
arrangement is for the Club or Club Affiliated Entity to
avoid including revenues derived from such separate
contractual arrangement within HRR. In the case of any
objection, the matter shall be discussed in good faith
between the NHL and the NHLPA and, failing agreement,
the issue shall be submitted to and resolved by the System
Arbitrator.

edit:

From when the signage was approved:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...rizon-center/2012/07/29/gJQAEgDuIX_story.html

Leonsis made the case that the signs will bring in valuable revenue, which in turn will be used by his ownership group to put better teams on the ice and hardwood, for his NHL Capitals and NBA Wizards.

“It will generate substantial revenue for us that will go toward the operation of our teams and it will generate substantial tax revenue for the city” of $2 million a year, Leonsis said. “It will better enable us to compete with teams who play in municipally-funded stadiums and arenas.”

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
I'm guessing that the "which could lead to $8 million to $10 million in tax revenue for the District" line is actually a typo and that number is the total revenue generated (or taxable revenue) not the amount the city receives (or the aggregate over a number of years) - I do not see the screens generating multiple tens of millions of $$$/yr. The article later states "Monumental, which owns the Washington Capitals, Wizards and Mystics, also pays taxes on the billboards’ revenue, said Randall Boe, the company’s executive vice president."

That said, whatever gross revenues Monumental/The Verizon Center/Caps receive from the screens, 32.5% will be included in HRR - since the Verizon Center is an Affiliated Two-Team Arena.

Fixed Signage is advertising (inside or outside) that is not specific to just NHL events. Signage used for only NHL events is covered in the next section (R) Temporary Signage.

edit:

From when the signage was approved:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...rizon-center/2012/07/29/gJQAEgDuIX_story.html

Not taking a side here, but would this not fall township-wise under the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy rule (Your planet has been scheduled for demolition for years, the plans were on display at city hall)-ergo "This was decided on, and the meetings and plans were there for all to see-not our fault you didn't look at them"?

Usually these things are done though channels and townsfolk have the opportunity to come out and speak their mind and plans for all to see.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Not taking a side here, but would this not fall township-wise under the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy rule (Your planet has been scheduled for demolition for years, the plans were on display at city hall)-ergo "This was decided on, and the meetings and plans were there for all to see-not our fault you didn't look at them"?

Usually these things are done though channels and townsfolk have the opportunity to come out and speak their mind and plans for all to see.

Sounds like there was vehement (residential) neighbor opposition for nearly the entire two years.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/10/23/verizon-centers-flashing-billboards/

More reaction to billboards.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
the photos suggest its not something so bad that a few dozen rocks wouldn't begin to solve ... ;) or worse, eggs. might help convince the arena to turn it off after midnite.

i like to help. :)

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
The area was a craphole before VC showed up, the woman *****ing about her penthouse apartment probably bought 5 apartments after VC was there.

Now of course, she is complaining because people like her who think she can decide what people can and cannot do with their private property.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City

Keeping blinds closed is all that bad? Really? Talk about first world problems.

Don't see a big deal. Sorry, neighbors.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Oh, get over it. If they don't like it, they can sell for a zillion dollars to somebody who wants to live right next to a metro, arena, and one of the hottest areas in town. They turn 'em off at midnight, what do you want? I'd trade apartments with her any day.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
This is what they're complaining about? Really? I hate NIMBY's.
billboard0081382069171.jpg

Retail1LO*

I'd be all about turning those signs off too if it cast a dark enough shadow over that broad's face that I didn't have to see it. I swear, I want to take a chisel and hammer to whatever that is over her right eye.

Seriously though...if that picture was taking to make some kind of statement about how horribly impacted her way of life has become as a result of the sign's placement...it fails miserably at rallying me to her support.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
This is what they're complaining about? Really? I hate NIMBY's.
billboard0081382069171.jpg

To be fair it looks like she's using a cell phone camera, you're never going to get the proper effect with that. Especially if you take the picture when it's still light out.

If you live downtown though you should expect a certain amount of light pollution.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
These rich a-holes are the worst. "I wanna live in the city, I want to be in a vibrant neighborhood" but then complain it's not like a leafy suburb..

Here's a hint: It's an entertainment district in a major city, noise + bright lights are to be expected and part of the appeal. If you want your quiet little home, I am sure you can afford a nice house in McLean or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad