Need your advice.... Schultz for Spezza????

VancouverCanuck

Vancouver's Finest
Oct 31, 2010
Vancouver
www.canucks.com
Hey Guys, Need some advice

I am in a Points only keeper league. Points for Goals, Assist and Goalie wins.

This is what I got offered: (ME BEING THE OWNER OF SCHULTZ

Jason Spezza
3rd Round Pick (2013)
4th Round Pick (2014)

FOR

Justin Schultz
2nd Round Pick (2013)
3rd Round Pick (2014

MY TEAM

Briere, Daniel
Couturier, Sean
Franzen, Johan
Havlat, Martin
Heatley, Dany
Kane, Evander
Stamkos, Steven
Thornton, Joe

Bogosian, Zach
Pietrangelo, Alex
White, Ian
Kaberle, Thomas
Seidenburg, Dennis
Schultz, Justin

Brodeur, Martin
Markstrom, Jacob

mae

Jan 10, 2013
Even though he lit it up in the AHL, Schultz is unproven in the NHL. Dont get me wrong, surely he'll get points playing on the top PP, but who knows how long he'll be there or how well he'll handle the big leagues. That said, it depends on if you need another centre. You seem to be okay there and Spezza is a great player (consistently a point per game player). I would normally do this trade easily, but your D is looking weak. If you pull the trigger, look to upgrade your D after.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
"I am in a Points only keeper league. Points for Goals, Assist and Goalie wins."

Based on this you should always just take the higher producing player, if these are the only categories.

So in that case you should acquire Spezza.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
On the topic of Schultz, you guys think he'll be a viable fantasy option this year? He was great in the AHL, but I'm always a bit hesitant with rookies.

I know there's no real way to tell - just looking for someone who has some insight into how good he really is right now, that kind of thing. I didn't watch him in OKC, just saw the stats.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Take it, run, laugh, pray it doesn't get vetoed if its in the leauge rules.

CJV123

Feb 4, 2010
The trade will be vetoed. Nobody in their right mind would trade Spezza for Schultz in a league with this old-school scoring.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
Veto votes make no sense in keeper leagues. The only reason a deal ever should be vetoed is if other GMs believe their was collusion or if it's a case where someone is trading future assets (draft picks) and you have a strong suspicion this person plans on bailing on the league before those seasons.

Otherwise, it's just a case of jealous GMs claiming to protect a dumb GM when in reality they are protecting themselves from a competitor getting better.

If the other GMs try to veto this, I would made the case that you are swapping two earlier draft picks for later draft picks to balance it out some.

But yeah, as is the consensus in here, I'd make that deal. Especially if the other GM mismanages his entire team this badly — if that's the case, the difference between the 2nd & 3rd picks you're giving up and the 3rd & 4th picks you're getting in return might not be that big. You could be giving up the last pick in the 2nd round for the first pick in the 3rd.

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
But yeah, as is the consensus in here, I'd make that deal. Especially if the other GM mismanages his entire team this badly —

Yeah... he mismanages it so badly that he's had far and away the most successful team in a league that's been around since years before 'keeper league' was a phrase.

Though it may help to know that the league has three additional categories, players which are designated by each team, with a couple switches allowed per season. A 'Goalman', who's goals count for two points; and 'Assistman'; and a 'Quarterback' (a D 'goalman'), and this 'idiot G.M.' already has his original draft picks Malkin & Ovechkin to occupy the first 2 positions.

When Schultz puts up 80+ points in future seasons, I trust you'll be back to issue a mea culpa?

Zeus almighty, with each year that goes by, the general I.Q. of hfboards sinks lower and lower. You couldn't find nuance here if you wrapped it up in anti-hype.

To prove my point, here's a description of Evgeni Malkin I wrote before he'd ventured across the Atlantic. I don't post it to bask in the god-like forward thinking of my observations, but to point to the several comments following it which echo what I've seen in this thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=2666644&highlight=malkin#post2666644

Though I suppose I should really thank you all for convincing him to make the trade. Your ineptitude will likely win me a couple more championships.

Last edited:

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
Yeah... he mismanages it so badly that he's had far and away the most successful team in a league that's been around since years before 'keeper league' was a phrase.

Though it may help to know that the league has three additional categories, players which are designated by each team, with a couple switches allowed per season. A 'Goalman', who's goals count for two points; and 'Assistman'; and a 'Quarterback' (a D 'goalman'), and this 'idiot G.M.' already has his original draft picks Malkin & Ovechkin to occupy the first 2 positions.

When Schultz puts up 80+ points in future seasons, I trust you'll be back to issue a mea culpa?

Zeus almighty, with each year that goes by, the general I.Q. of hfboards sinks lower and lower. You couldn't find nuance here if you wrapped it up in anti-hype.

To prove my point, here's a description of Evgeni Malkin I wrote before he'd ventured across the Atlantic. I don't post it to bask in the god-like forward thinking of my observations, but to point to the several comments following it which echo what I've seen in this thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=2666644&highlight=malkin#post2666644

Though I suppose I should really thank you all for convincing him to make the trade. Your ineptitude will likely win me a couple more championships.

Let's me get this right, your feelings are hurt because someone in your league mischaracterized how stats are compiled (I assume from your post — although it's implied but not spelled out — that the "assistman" and "quarterback" enjoy bonuses similar to the "goalman"), and because of that incomplete explanation, people offered advice that you somehow think impinges your sparkling reputation (you're so offended that you were compelled to offered historic documentation) even though you were never named?

And you actually suggest people will rue the day so much that it might warrant a mea culpa years from now?

frabz-u-mad-bro-4fd0b2.jpg

Kim Jong Un remembers when people were excited about Mike Green when he put up back-to-back seasons of 73 and 76 points in the actual NHL.

Obviously you like your ego stroked and obviously you measure your self worth by how your fantasy teams perform, so let me offer my congratulations for trading a proven top-line center who was a spare part on your roster for a much-heralded but unproven rookie who might or might not be worth all the excitement. Wow, no one makes deals like those in fantasy sports — sounds like the deal of the century to me!

I bet you're the life of the party on the league messageboard.

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
I bet you're the life of the party on the league messageboard.

Yeah... fair enough. I took it too personally... for a couple of reasons, one of which is irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

The other, had to do with how flippantly generalizations on this site are taken as scripture. Generalizations such as:

-All fantasy G.M.'s (aside from themselves) base their decision making solely on 'hype' and the opinions of others on hfboards.
-If a transaction doesn't make sense to 'me', then it has to be a mind-numbingly stupid move made by a frighteningly idiotic person capable of self-harm.
-Nobody (aside from Sidney Crosby) can possibly be as good as his hype suggests if he hasn't yet skated in an N.H.L. game.

Basically, the prevailing sense that 'hockey's future conventional wisdom' is, necessarily, wise.

Lastly, the fact that each of the responders, yourself included, were so off-base in their assessments of the 'Offerer's' scouting ability, hockey acuity, and mental health, should be considered when judging the value of your/their 'other' snap-judgments.

And you actually suggest people will rue the day so much that it might warrant a mea culpa years from now?

Exactly my point, actually. You'll never think of this thread again, and neither will the dozen who agreed with you. And, when (OK, 'if') in two years time, you're proven certifiably wrong, it won't matter, because you'll be spouting similar opinions about some other guy's trades. There's no accountability here... and I suppose there's no reasonable solution to that, but if there were, I suspect we'd see very different responses site-wide.

It was for that very reason that I lurked on this site for a year before ever posting. I was downright intimidated by the knowledge possessed by most of the posters here, and was fearful of saying something that would turn out wrong, thus damaging my reputation. I miss that feeling, and for the sake of this site, wish we all shared it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad