Line Combos: Need Senators Fans feedback …

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Doing a podcast preview show, and Senators are one of the two teams I’m covering:

How do you feel the line combos up front and on blue line will shake out ?
How do you think Talbot/Forsberg goalie break down will shake out ? Ratio % of games shared ? Confident with both ?
Surprises this season ? Concerns within the roster are ?

Thanks in advance !

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Doing a podcast preview show, and Senators are one of the two teams I’m covering:

How do you think Talbot/Forsberg goalie break down will shake out ? Ratio % of games shared ? Confident with both ?

Thanks in advance !
Tkachuck Norris Batherson
Debrincat Stutzle Giroux
Formenton Pinto Joseph
Kelly Gambrell Watson

Chabot Zub
Sanderson Hamonic
Brannstrom Holden

Forsberg starts game one and the plan looks to be a fairly even

Fairly confident we will get at least average goaltending from the tandem.

Surprises to the rest of the league will likely be Pinto and the wingers on the 3rd line generating far more offence than expected.

Biggest concern is the back end after Chabot and Zub.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
The forward groups are pretty set.
Tkachuk-Noris-Batherson
Debrincat-Stutzle-Giroux
Formenton-Pinto-Joseph

then a fourth line mixed of whoever is left. Coach and GM are pretty high on Parker Kelly, so I expect him to get every chance. Watson probably holds down a spot as well.

Defense gets more interesting. The team has stated that Chabot and Zub will play together for to start the season, so its going to be a weird mix after that.

Sanderson is expected to anchor the second pair, but who is he going to play with? Hamonic probably to start. But maybe Holden. Maybe Zaitsev. The third pair will start with Branstrom, and whoever they decide not to play with Sanderson.
JBD and Thomson are both waiting in the rafters, and a strong camp from either adds another body to the mix.

If the defense struggles outside of the top pair, i expect Zub to be pulled to stabilize another pair. It'll be a weird rollercoaster all season unless a trade is made. Injuries to Chabot or Zub would be utterly devastating to the Senators season.

No clue who gets more starts between Forsberg and Talbot. WHoever goes on a little win streak first will probably carry the ball until they drop it.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the powerplay. 6 forwards who can all make a case for being on the top unit. That will probably be a theme all season long.

Reactions: CanadianPantherFan

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
DeBrincat - Stutzle - Giroux
Formenton - Pinto - Joseph
Kelly - Kastelic - Watson
Gambrell

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Holden
Brannstrom - Hamonic
Zaitsev

Forsberg
Talbot
This is what i hope it is as well with first guys up likely being Greig as a C/LW if he's healthy, Jarventie as LW if Greigs not ready, Sokolov as the RW next up and Thomson/JBD being the D call-ups if anyone gets hurt. Holden plays both D sides and would most likely shift to LD if someone on that side got injured.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Tkachuck Norris Batherson
Debrincat Stutzle Giroux
Formenton Pinto Joseph
Kelly Gambrell Watson

Chabot Zub
Sanderson Hamonic
Brannstrom Holden

Forsberg starts game one and the plan looks to be a fairly even

Fairly confident we will get at least average goaltending from the tandem.

Surprises to the rest of the league will likely be Pinto and the wingers on the 3rd line generating far more offence than expected.

Biggest concern is the back end after Chabot and Zub.
Zaitsev may find a role on the 3rd pairing.
Goaltending will likely be OK but not excellent.
The second pairing on D could be OK too, but the third pairing will be weak.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Formenton - Pinto - Joseph
Kelly - Kastelic - Watson
Gambrell

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Holden
Brannstrom - Hamonic
Zaitsev

Forsberg
Talbot
not sure which of the gts should be 1st but looks good

Reactions: Xspyrit

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Is it expected for Sanderson to make the jump to the NHL right away and play on opening night? I feel like I haven’t heard much of him, other then he still was wearing a cast on his arm a while back.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
How they start the season should differ from the lineup that closes the season. I think the 4th line gets replaced at some point next season & there are two or three changes on defence by yr end. The top nine will likely get thrown into a blender throughout the season & we could see all kinds of lineup combinations. They have plenty of assets to at some point make a move to improve their defence this season, especially at RD.

Tkachuk - Norris - Joseph
Formenton - Pinto - Batherson
Kelly - Gambrell - Watson/Hawryluk

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Hamonic
Holden - Zaitsev/Brannstrom

Talbot - Forsberg/Sogaard

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Is it expected for Sanderson to make the jump to the NHL right away and play on opening night? I feel like I haven’t heard much of him, other then he still was wearing a cast on his arm a while back.
He has fully recovered and yes it's expected. All signs point to him being capable enough to slot right in and all signs point to us being desperate enough on D to try.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Don't listen to any of these fools. It'll be like this:

DeBrincat - Stützle - Giroux

Everything else on lines you see is pretty accurate.

:naughty:

On goalies - I imagine they'll be pretty even. The goalie that is hot will get the games.

Surprises (from an outsider point of view) - We have two big rookies stepping in with Pinto and Sanderson. Both could be playing key roles on the team. Many think Stützle is going to break out and be at the very least close to PPG. Powerplay should be good, so whoever gets on the hot unit might surprise points wise.

Concerns: Our defense is heavily reliant on one of Sanderson or Brannstrom breaking out and being able to carry a second pairing. Our goaltending is okay, but could be shaky. Formenton isn't signed yet and we're not really sure what's going on with his situation. We could end up running Greig there, making a very inexperienced "shutdown" line. Could be an issue, but Greig and Pinto are both pretty good prospects, so we won't know unless it plays out.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Is Zaitsev really a 6/7 Dman at this point of his career ? With that contract ? Ouch.

Does season hang on how Sanderson and Brannstrom progress ? Seems like a lotttt of pressure on those two for 87-95 pt projected fringe bubble playoff team.

Zub good enough 2D guy ?
I look forward to seeing if A.Forsberg grabs the starting reigns.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Is Zaitsev really a 6/7 Dman at this point of his career ? With that contract ? Ouch.
Yes, unfortunately.
Does season hang on how Sanderson and Brannstrom progress ? Seems like a lotttt of pressure on those two for 87-95 pt projected fringe bubble playoff team.

Zub good enough 2D guy ?
I look forward to seeing if A.Forsberg grabs the starting reigns.

Pressure on Sanderson big time. Might find Hamonic's presence huge. Pressure on Chabot and Zub too - enormous.

A lot hinges on Holden too, he was very steady and tidy last year and can play both sides.

I personally don't see Brannstrom doing much. Just don't see the offensive instinct. He's gonna have to fight for that last d slot, imo.

Wouldn't be surprised if he was gone by Christmas.

Yes, Zub is an top notch 2d. Sneaky offense, but just a generally good player from positioning to crisp outlets, gap control. Everything.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I’m the Patrick Kane guy. I watch enough of the Blackhawks…

DeBrincat would be on the first line for every team in the league.

We are no exception.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Any other takes on forwards? Projections ? How many more goals will Sens score this season vs last season ? Positives or negatives with this group ?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Any other takes on forwards? Projections ? How many more goals will Sens score this season vs last season ? Positives or negatives with this group ?
I think they score in the 270-280 goal range, a big uptick from last years 227.

Stutzle is poised for a massive breakout, I think he will end up leading the team in scoring. Everything runs through him on the PP. 80-90 points is attainable.

The teams entire season hinges on Sanderson and one of JBD and Thomson stepping up and grabbing top 4 spots. If they dont step in immediately, I expect the Sens to be in the hunt but not make the playoffs.

I think with all the turnover they could start a little slow but they should be a pretty good team in the second half. Especially with the development of the young D core.

Negatives:

Definitely the lack of proven depth on the back end. As of right now they really only have 2 legit top 4 D men. They need big strides from all the young players back there Brannstrom included. A big issue has been Zaitsevs usage. The coaching staff inexplicably plays him way too much. A large portion of the season will rest on how much rope he gets. I think its hard for the other young D men see him make mistakes and get thrown back out there. When if they make the same types of mistakes they dont get to play. There needs to be consistency back there. Definitely the biggest concern going into the year. Forwards look great and the goaltending should prove to be solid. There will definitely be growing pains on the back end.

Scoring projections

Stutzle 80-90 points in the 30 goal range
Batherson 70-85 point range ( he maybe relegated to the 2nd pp due to his versatility)
Debrincat 65-80 point range 40 goals
Tkachuk 65-80 point range 35-35 type season
Norris 60-75 point range 40 goal potential
Giroux 55-70 point range
Pinto 35-45 point range
Joseph 30-40 point range
Formenton 30-40 point range with 20 goals elite pker 5 + shorties
Kelly 15 goal potential 30 points
Watson 10-15 point range
Gambrell 10-15 point range
Kastelic 10-15 point range with a few fights

Last edited:

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Yes, unfortunately.

Pressure on Sanderson big time. Might find Hamonic's presence huge. Pressure on Chabot and Zub too - enormous.

A lot hinges on Holden too, he was very steady and tidy last year and can play both sides.

I personally don't see Brannstrom doing much. Just don't see the offensive instinct. He's gonna have to fight for that last d slot, imo.

Wouldn't be surprised if he was gone by Christmas.

Yes, Zub is an top notch 2d. Sneaky offense, but just a generally good player from positioning to crisp outlets, gap control. Everything.
Brannstrom has offensive instincts. DJ has him working on his defensive play. He rocks the powerplay. People don't like his shot but I think he shoots for tips and rebounds. With a better team overall I think he surprises people this year. People will call that growth in other players or a surprise breakout...with him it will be what is expected. I think he gets a bit of a rough ride around here. Boucher we should forget where he was drafted and let him develop..Branny was the piece from the Stone trade so has to be top 4 right away. I don't know.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Brannstrom has offensive instincts. DJ has him working on his defensive play. He rocks the powerplay. People don't like his shot but I think he shoots for tips and rebounds. With a better team overall I think he surprises people this year. People will call that growth in other players or a surprise breakout...with him it will be what is expected. I think he gets a bit of a rough ride around here. Boucher we should forget where he was drafted and let him develop..Branny was the piece from the Stone trade so has to be top 4 right away. I don't know.
He didn't put up numbers when he ran the pp when chabot was out last year. I want him to succeed, obviously, but he's running out of time here that's for sure

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013

Thanks in advance !

Any Sens fan can tell you the concern is defence. Sens consistently give up the most goals. There is also back to back horrid starts under DJ.

The top 9 in Ottawa is deadly. A poll I made in the mainboard already has 1/5 posters saying Ottawa has a better top 9 than Toronto which is impressive at this stage in the rebuild. I think Ottawa's top 9 is a top 10 forward group.

I am confident Talbot and Forsberg will push each-other and be a good tandem. Forsberg has had back to back good seasons with Ottawa after waivers. Talbot played good for Minny.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
He didn't put up numbers when he ran the pp when chabot was out last year. I want him to succeed, obviously, but he's running out of time here that's for sure
The powerplay was better with Brannstrom. It was used to Chabot standing on the blue line passing to Norris and never shooting. Brannstrom distributed the puck better, faster and took shots. You can put anybody you want on it and it won't change how Chabot plays. Brannstrom will only make it better with more reps.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The powerplay was better with Brannstrom. It was used to Chabot standing on the blue line passing to Norris and never shooting. Brannstrom distributed the puck better, faster and took shots. You can put anybody you want on it and it won't change how Chabot plays. Brannstrom will only make it better with more reps.
Some parts about the pp were better yes. But Brannstroms shot needs to be better. He misses the net too much. I like him up top pivoting and he seems to have good chemistry with Stutzle. However he needs to get his shot through and on net way more consistently. I honestly think Stutzle should be up top on PP1 and they should go 5 forwards with giroux up top as well. Have Tkachuk in front and have the 4 man unit rotate up and down in a horse shoe. Norris and Debrincat on their off sides. Sliding from the hash marks to the goal line.

PP1: Giroux Stutzle Debrincat Norris Tkachuk
PP2: Branntsrom Chabot Batherson Pinto Joseph

Last edited:

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Some parts about the pp were better yes. But Brannstroms shot needs to be better. He misses the net too much. I like him up top pivoting and he seems to have good chemistry with Stutzle. However he needs to get his shot through and on net way more consistently. I honestly think Stutzle should be up top on PP1 and they should go 5 forwards with giroux up top as well. Have Tkachuk in front and have the 4 man unit rotate up and down in a horse shoe. Norris and Debrincat on their off sides. Sliding from the hash marks to the goal line.

PP1: Giroux Stutzle Debrincat Norris Tkachuk
PP2: Branntsrom Chabot Batherson Pinto Joseph
I think he shoots for redirects or rebounds and it looked to me like he was taking some power off his shot. Maybe the guys needed more time to get used to how he plays the point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad