Need Medvedev for the next season in the team? He should go back to play in the KHL?

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I like him a lot, unfortunate he's already 33 because I'd be open to locking him up long-term otherwise. I think he played his best game against NYI

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
For now, I'd like to re-sign him for one or two years. Unfortunately he's already up there in age and that combined with the transitional state of the D with the youth coming up, there's no sensible reason to keep him here longer than another year or two even if he keeps up this level of play.

Something has to give next year. Gostisbehere, Streit, MDZ are under contract next season. I expect Provorov will be with the big club. If you sign Medvedev, that's 5 guys who will seek PP time and only 3 spots. I know some will say MDZ shouldn't be a lock for PP time (I agree) but he will be. He's getting paid to put up points and if the 5 on 3 PP setup is any indication, Hakstol likes him too.

I don't see why having a myriad of options is a problem exactly. Also, MDZ doesn't deserve PP time once better options come around, not with the way he is now. That's not a bad thing either as what he is now is better than what he was last year. Streit is also the guy who should be gone, if possible, not Medvedev. Age, contract, and risk of regression are reasons why.

It's doubtful any of our other D can make the roster next year and Provorov making it is simply an assumption even if it's a strong assumption. Even if it's true, Medvedev isn't the last one who deserves to leave and having options isn't a problem in the slightest.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I don't see why having a myriad of options is a problem exactly. Also, MDZ doesn't deserve PP time once better options come around, not with the way he is now. That's not a bad thing either as what he is now is better than what he was last year. Streit is also the guy who should be gone, if possible, not Medvedev. Age, contract, and risk of regression are reasons why.

It's doubtful any of our other D can make the roster next year and Provorov making it is simply an assumption even if it's a strong assumption. Even if it's true, Medvedev isn't the last one who deserves to leave and having options isn't a problem in the slightest.
Well having 5 D that play on the PP probably means you don't have 5 D that can play on the PK (at least well). It's also about managing players. Gostisbehere and Streit are locks for that role no matter what. Provorov isn't in the NHL unless he's playing in all situations. Take MDZ off the PP, cut his value in half. Medvedev's strengths all revolve around having the puck so it doesn't make much sense to leave him off the PP.

Where did I say having options is a problem? All I said is something has to give. I'm not saying that means Medvedev is out, but it is highly unlikely you see those 5 guys in the lineup next season. Streit can be traded in the offseason, but are you willing to take pennies on the dollar just to get out of the contract? You trade MDZ, there's a lot of minutes to replace with a couple of kids that should be making their debuts next season. That's dicey. Provorov needs to be challenged next year. Playing another year on a powerhouse team isn't going to do him much good. I like Medvedev, but you can probably get decent value for him this year before potentially losing him as a UFA. I get the sense the coaching staff isn't too fond of his style, but that's just my opinion.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Well having 5 D that play on the PP probably means you don't have 5 D that can play on the PK (at least well). It's also about managing players. Gostisbehere and Streit are locks for that role no matter what. Provorov isn't in the NHL unless he's playing in all situations. Take MDZ off the PP, cut his value in half. Medvedev's strengths all revolve around having the puck so it doesn't make much sense to leave him off the PP.

Where did I say having options is a problem? All I said is something has to give. I'm not saying that means Medvedev is out, but it is highly unlikely you see those 5 guys in the lineup next season. Streit can be traded in the offseason, but are you willing to take pennies on the dollar just to get out of the contract? You trade MDZ, there's a lot of minutes to replace with a couple of kids that should be making their debuts next season. That's dicey. Provorov needs to be challenged next year. Playing another year on a powerhouse team isn't going to do him much good. I like Medvedev, but you can probably get decent value for him this year before potentially losing him as a UFA. I get the sense the coaching staff isn't too fond of his style, but that's just my opinion.

Yes because it's a risky contract for a player with no sense of long-term future here. Also, he was a UFA signing so getting any kind of return in a trade is a net positive return in terms of assets.

As for the PK, Provorov, MDZ, and Gudas are all guys who can play there I imagine and that's not factoring in forwards. Who says Provorov can only play if he's playing in all situations? You don't see Laughton playing much PP time or Ghost playing much PK time. When Giroux was called up he was eased into greater responsibility over time as well. The PP is possibly Provorov's weakest aspect of his game (and that's not the same as saying it's a weak part of his game) and even if he were to play PP time I don't see why there can't be a rotation going. Hakstol loves to change things up after losses anyhow.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yes because it's a risky contract for a player with no sense of long-term future here. Also, he was a UFA signing so getting any kind of return in a trade is a net positive return in terms of assets.
Sure, but is that worth more than having him around as a veteran?

As for the PK, Provorov, MDZ, and Gudas are all guys who can play there I imagine and that's not factoring in forwards. Who says Provorov can only play if he's playing in all situations? You don't see Laughton playing much PP time or Ghost playing much PK time. When Giroux was called up he was eased into greater responsibility over time as well. The PP is possibly Provorov's weakest aspect of his game (and that's not the same as saying it's a weak part of his game) and even if he were to play PP time I don't see why there can't be a rotation going. Hakstol loves to change things up after losses anyhow.
Alright so you have 3 guys. One being a teenage rookie and the other two have been part of the worst PK in the league the past 2 seasons. You can't compare Provorov to Laughton. He's a much much better all-around player. He will warrant the time unlike Laughton. Gostisbehere may never be a full-time PK guy in his career so him not being on the PK as a rookie means very little as it relates to Provorov. Not to mention he's heavily involved on the PP which makes up for it. Running a powerplay is one of Provorov's best assets so again I don't agree with that assessment. Rotations on the powerplay rarely work out too well. The Canadian World Junior team reminded us this a couple weeks ago.

You're also forgetting Schultz who Hextall and Hakstol seem to trust and he has a commitment through next season. Even if Sanheim spends the entire year in Lehigh Valley, I will be pretty surprised if Morin does. So there is another guy that will likely force his way on to the roster. This is a mediocre team at best this year. You can't keep resigning marginal players. At some point you have to cut bait. I get the need this season as there are a lot of stop gaps, but I imagine next season you will start to see a lot more turnover.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I mean, logically I imagine:

going into next season:

Del Zotto -- Gudas
Provorov -- Streit/Medvedev
MacDonald/Schultz -- Gostisbehere

PP D men: Gostisbehere, Streit/Medvedev, Del Zotto & Provorov (Del Zotto & Provorov get split time until one 'wins' the job. I would bet on Provorov... Del Zotto is better at ES than PP.)
PK Dmen: Del Zotto, Gudas, Provorov & MacDonald/Schultz

1 Dman will be moved this deadline... Medvedev is probably odds on favourite tbh unless Streit gets a nice offer including a 1st.

It could well be that due to the extra year on Streit's deal he is not worth much more than Medvedev tbh... but if Streit is playing at ~40 point level still next year he would certainly be worth a 1st.

Schultz is the only one of the current D men who 'could' be a #7 next year.

And then probably sometime next year Morin comes into the line-up and Streit is moved at the deadline... or someone (Schultz/MacDonald) sent to the Phantoms if Morin makes team out of camp.

Should be an interesting end of February that is for sure...

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I mean, logically I imagine:

going into next season:

Del Zotto -- Gudas
Provorov -- Streit/Medvedev
MacDonald/Schultz -- Gostisbehere

PP D men: Gostisbehere, Streit/Medvedev, Del Zotto & Provorov (Del Zotto & Provorov get split time until one 'wins' the job. I would bet on Provorov... Del Zotto is better at ES than PP.)
PK Dmen: Del Zotto, Gudas, Provorov & MacDonald/Schultz

1 Dman will be moved this deadline... Medvedev is probably odds on favourite tbh unless Streit gets a nice offer including a 1st.

It could well be that due to the extra year on Streit's deal he is not worth much more than Medvedev tbh... but if Streit is playing at ~40 point level still next year he would certainly be worth a 1st.

Schultz is the only one of the current D men who 'could' be a #7 next year.

And then probably sometime next year Morin comes into the line-up and Streit is moved at the deadline... or someone (Schultz/MacDonald) sent to the Phantoms if Morin makes team out of camp.

Should be an interesting end of February that is for sure...
Predicting next year defense or even the defense in a couple seasons is hard. You would assume that Gudas will be resigned and Gostisbehere will be in the top 6, but other than that there are question marks for everyone else.

What are the Flyers going to do with Del Zotto, especially now since he is their defacto #1 guy? Do they plan on resigning him to let the prospects ease into taking the tough minutes? Will Del Zotto want to resign or test UFA? It doesn't make sense for the Flyers to sign him long term but conversely it doesn't make sense for Del Zotto to sign a deal below market value. If they don't plan of signing him, they should look to move him even as soon a this season as his value would be higher at this deadline compared to next year's especially if they can't move Streit.

It was reported early is the season that the Flyers were still interest in Zaitsev? If he comes here, he will be playing in the NHL.

What happens to Alt, who won't be waiver eligible next season. Hextall seems to hate losing assets for nothing. He would definitely get claimed. If he was afraid of losing Manning, he would probably be afraid of losing Alt. If that's the case, what happens to Manning?

Lastly, is MacDonald destined for the AHL until the Flyers can buy him out? Unless multiple defensemen are moved, there really isn't a spot for him next season. After next season, Hagg, Morin, and Sanheim would all be pushing down the door to get into the NHL with Myers and Freidman turning pro.

And that's just what we know to date. So without any moves, the Flyers have Gudas, Del Zotto, MacDonald, Schultz, Gostisbehere, Streit, Alt, Manning with the possibility/probability of Provorov. Add the possibility of signing Zaitsev and resigning Medvedev. That's a lot.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-canadiens-more-than-a-one-man-team/
By the way, everyone’s convinced he’s is going to Toronto. If someone wants to take the field, there’s money to be won.
So only a Toronto fan would completely ignore the last line where Friedman says don't bet on him going to Toronto.

As far as a blogs other source, I will take the word of Friedman over anyone else.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Mark Alt with 1 NHL game to his name at 24 would definitely get claimed on waivers? I doubt it. Zach Redmond put up 20 points in 59 NHL games last year and didn't get claimed before this season.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Predicting next year defense or even the defense in a couple seasons is hard. You would assume that Gudas will be resigned and Gostisbehere will be in the top 6, but other than that there are question marks for everyone else.

What are the Flyers going to do with Del Zotto, especially now since he is their defacto #1 guy? Do they plan on resigning him to let the prospects ease into taking the tough minutes? Will Del Zotto want to resign or test UFA? It doesn't make sense for the Flyers to sign him long term but conversely it doesn't make sense for Del Zotto to sign a deal below market value. If they don't plan of signing him, they should look to move him even as soon a this season as his value would be higher at this deadline compared to next year's especially if they can't move Streit.

It was reported early is the season that the Flyers were still interest in Zaitsev? If he comes here, he will be playing in the NHL.

What happens to Alt, who won't be waiver eligible next season. Hextall seems to hate losing assets for nothing. He would definitely get claimed. If he was afraid of losing Manning, he would probably be afraid of losing Alt. If that's the case, what happens to Manning?

Lastly, is MacDonald destined for the AHL until the Flyers can buy him out? Unless multiple defensemen are moved, there really isn't a spot for him next season. After next season, Hagg, Morin, and Sanheim would all be pushing down the door to get into the NHL with Myers and Freidman turning pro.

And that's just what we know to date. So without any moves, the Flyers have Gudas, Del Zotto, MacDonald, Schultz, Gostisbehere, Streit, Alt, Manning with the possibility/probability of Provorov. Add the possibility of signing Zaitsev and resigning Medvedev. That's a lot.

Hence why there will almost certainly be a Dman moved at the deadline. Partially why Medvedev probably makes most sense. He has to be re-signed to a crowded defense, and will have decent value round the league as a rental option... he is the only expiring Dman and has shown he is a capable #4-5.

Del Zotto will be a matter dealt with next year most likely. They cannot re-sign him right now, and he is as things stand our #1. He will almost certainly not be moved unless someone puts a big offer in that we cannot say no to.

I am also not so sure that MDZ would be much more valuable now than next year... contenders do like those expiring deals, and his value is not at Coburn level... the variables are less, he is probably worth a 1st now, maybe with a plus... next year he will likely be worth a 1st still barring something unforeseen happening. Coburn going to UFA for example would have still been worth a 1st at minimum.

Without any moves Manning is probably gone. He needs to be re-signed to be kept. I think Hextall sees Manning as useful partially for cap purposes due to that super cheap contract... and frankly he has been. Had we let him go and got a #7 from elsewhere the whole Ghost coming up and staying up would have got far more complicated. Also I imagine the Flyers wanted to see what they had in him, as there was an off chance he stepped up at NHL level and showed he was a capable bottom pairing guy. Manning I am pretty sure will be gone in summer, not re-signed. He has been pushed out of the D as the season has gone on and is now firmly #7... he has been given his NHL shot and has not shown he is undoubtedly and NHLer...

Hextall will likely replace him as #7 with Alt, (who I am not sure would be claimed on waivers actually)... who will be another very cheap option who will likely be capable enough to play in that role, so effectively be Manning for next year and be able to be evaluated at NHL level next season as Manning was this year. Hextall will understand his (Manning's) value around the NHL, and also now his value to the Flyers more than he could to start the year... and probably that the greatest 'asset' he has given the Flyers this year is more flexibility and a cheap #7 option. Hextall was effectively happy to let Gustafsson go in a similar situation... and Gus had a better NHL career up to that point.

Zaitsev is looking more and more unlikely now... he will be able to go almost exactly where he wants... for sure 15+ teams would happily have him, and money is not an issue. We cannot really think about possibly pencilling him into the D... less so anyway than even last year.

So, if there are 'no' moves (apart from re-signing RFA Gudas, which is very likely) that would leave us with:

MDZ
Streit
Gudas
Gostisbehere
Schultz

who are almost certainly on the Flyers barring a trade.

and then:

Provorov
Alt
MacDonald

who could be easily on the Flyers.

That is 8 Dmen... so either AMac will continue to ride the bus, Provorov will not make the NHL or the Flyers will carry 8 Dmen again like this year and make a trade when a good deal is around.

Also, if they went into camp with only 6 'established' NHL dmen (including MacDonald) that would likely counter what Hextall has been trying to do so far... create competition for places and guys pushing each other on.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Medvedev for a 2nd (or equivalent prospect) is my guess for what happens next month.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Mark Alt with 1 NHL game to his name at 24 would definitely get claimed on waivers? I doubt it. Zach Redmond put up 20 points in 59 NHL games last year and didn't get claimed before this season.

Zach Redmond got a 2 year contract from Colorado at 25 years old and 18 NHL games. Alt also turns 25 years old next season and would likely be on a 1 year qualified contract. With how desperate the league is for right handers and how low the standards are for defensive defensemen, I think is reasonable to believe some team would claim him. Will Hextall care? I don't know but that's the only reason I can think of for keeping manning around.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Zach Redmond got a 2 year contract from Colorado at 25 years old and 18 NHL games. Alt also turns 25 years old next season and would likely be on a 1 year qualified contract. With how desperate the league is for right handers and how low the standards are for defensive defensemen, I think is reasonable to believe some team would claim him. Will Hextall care? I don't know but that's the only reason I can think of for keeping manning around.

Yet Redmond went unclaimed despite really good production on a cheap contract. I'm not saying Alt won't get a contract or that we shouldn't be re-sign him, but I don't think he's good enough or valuable enough for another team to stash him on an NHL roster for an entire year. He's having a nice season this year, but Brandon Manning had a better season last year and look what we think of him (and he would have passed through waivers). Also Alt has played 1 preseason game since he has been here. That should tell you a little about what the organization thinks of him. He's a depth guy.

And Manning is on the roster for more reasons than just fear of him being claimed off waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad