Need Medvedev for the next season in the team? He should go back to play in the KHL?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think he's playing in the NHL next year. I don't know if it will be with the Flyers necessarily but I think he's done enough to stick around in the NHL assuming he wants that.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
he deserves another short term deal from the Flyers for sure..

glad to have him here as long as the term and length are both low n short..

if he wants a big raise/long term deal i'd pass..

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
He has helped our transition game a lot... so good at moving the puck out of the zone.

Also solid in his own zone, good positionally and pretty strong on boards... that is when he is not trying to do too much!

Would be happy to have him back, though I have a feeling he gets traded if Flyers are not in a playoff spot come deadline, a contender will likely give a 2nd rounder I reckon for his services... he has proven he is at worst a #4-5 in the NHL already I think.

For sure if he wants he will easily, easily find an NHL team next year even if the Flyers trade or do not re-sign him.

Love his energy as well... every-time he scores it is like a kid scoring their first ever, also gets super giddy when his team-mates score and he is on ice. Refreshing to see, especially for a guy in his 30's... he sure loves hockey!

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Something has to give next year. Gostisbehere, Streit, MDZ are under contract next season. I expect Provorov will be with the big club. If you sign Medvedev, that's 5 guys who will seek PP time and only 3 spots. I know some will say MDZ shouldn't be a lock for PP time (I agree) but he will be. He's getting paid to put up points and if the 5 on 3 PP setup is any indication, Hakstol likes him too.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think he will be traded by the deadline, but an extension is possible, too.

phlflyer1

Oct 16, 2007
South Jersey
Medz has definitely proved that he belongs in the NHL, IMO, if he wants to continue playing over here.

Not that I think Provorov needs it but I'd like to see the Flyers resign Medz on a 1-2 year deal to be around as a mentor when Provorov breaks into the league (hopefully out of camp next season).

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Provorov would mentor Medvedev more than the other way around I would imagine.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Provorov would mentor Medvedev more than the other way around I would imagine.

Yeah Provorov speaks fluent English & has been here in North America for quite a while now. I think it's safe to say he's made the transition here on & off the ice at this point.

Any veteran with NHL experience regardless of nationality would be good for Provorov just like any other young player.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Would it be more prudent to trade Streit next deadline or this deadline. The return might be better next deadline, but I would prefer to keep Medvedev rather than Streit if choosing between the two.

phlflyer1

Oct 16, 2007
South Jersey
Yeah Provorov speaks fluent English & has been here in North America for quite a while now. I think it's safe to say he's made the transition here on & off the ice at this point.

Any veteran with NHL experience regardless of nationality would be good for Provorov just like any other young player.

Yes, you and FlyGuy are right... I should have clarified it more as mentoring from a respected veteran player who just happens to be Russian as well. Not from a cultural adjustment perspective.

Doesn't have to be Medz, it could be Streit, but I'd like to see them keep one of them around as a veteran presence for the young D we have coming up.

If it comes down to trading Streit or Medvedev at the deadline, my preference would be to trade Streit (hopefully for a low 1st) and keep Medz around.

Was typing my response and missed the one above me but I am definitely of the same opinion as Whitsifier if the choice comes down to Medvedev or Streit

Last edited:

flyguy

Sean Cubeturier
Dec 28, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska
Would it be more prudent to trade Streit next deadline or this deadline. The return might be better next deadline, but I would prefer to keep Medvedev rather than Streit if choosing between the two.

Only concern with waiting on trading Streit, is he'll be a year older next year. If the Flyers fall out of the playoff race closer to the deadline, you get what you can for Streit now.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Without being able to retain salary this season and Streit not exactly lighting it up, I don't think he gets dealt this year.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Funnily enought Provorov actually spent the first 2 years of his time in North America living only ~115 miles North of the Wells Fargo!

Coming back to Eastern Pennsylvania will almost be like coming home. ;)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think Hextall will look at all possibilities. I think if he can move Streit for a good return, he will. If we wait, even in the summer, there are currently a bunch of D available so Streit's value won't be there.

Buff, Campbell, Yandle, Coburn, Hanhuis, etc... are all UFA's.

I think he talks to Meds camp, sees what he wants, then tries to trade Streit.

But who knows, if we are in a playoff spot, that could change.

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
If anyone should be moved at the deadline it should be Streit, at 38 he's not in the long term plan

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I think Hextall will look at all possibilities. I think if he can move Streit for a good return, he will. If we wait, even in the summer, there are currently a bunch of D available so Streit's value won't be there.

Buff, Campbell, Yandle, Coburn, Hanhuis, etc... are all UFA's.

I think he talks to Meds camp, sees what he wants, then tries to trade Streit.

But who knows, if we are in a playoff spot, that could change.

This makes a lot of sense. The downside with Meds is that he can be a turnover machine, but for me his upside more than makes up for it - smooth skating, heavy accurate shot, great attitude. Hope he's back and we can get a good pick for Streit.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I wish he was more sound defensively, but on the other hand if he actually was, he would be able to command 4-5M per which the Flyers could not afford.

All in all, I'd extend him for a year with small raise.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'd extend him for one year. Not sure you'd get the value we'd want for him. Without Schenn to juggle around with now, he should stay in the lineup.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I could take him or leave him at this point. If he wants to stay for the same or similar money on a 1-2 year deal I'm all for it. If he's looking for a payday and long term contract I'd pass.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
1 year deal for 3.5-3.75 million would be ideal.

Remember when we first signed him it was reported they were discussing a two year deal but settled on a 1 year deal

RinaldoZac

Jun 30, 2012
1 year deal for 3.5-3.75 million would be ideal.

Remember when we first signed him it was reported they were discussing a two year deal but settled on a 1 year deal

I'd do that salary ONLY on a 1 year deal, wouldn't commit to 2 unless he stays at or under $3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad