Need Computer Help.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Ugggggh.

So I had an issue with my computer where it wouldn't function without being plugged in. After months and months I finally found the answer and it was a simple update to my BIOS.

The issue is fixed, and the computer works great.

HOWEVER.

Now I can't play any sort of games without the frame rate dropping to ****.

I have no clue why, but the BIOS update is the only thing I have changed since the last time I played any of the games.

And the games aren't high performance. It's EHM, which is text based, and then Parkitect and Roller Coaster Tycoon 3.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
An extremely common issue with laptops is the graphics card not properly switching to the dedicated card and staying on the internal CPU graphics which are slower.

What model laptop do you have?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Well what I said before isn't it since you only have the integrated graphics.

I'd be looking at your power settings both in the BIOS and in Windows. Usually there's a performance mode or some such.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Okay, doing some digging, I found a similar issue and there was a java update released on the 19th.

So I'm installing that?

Cautiously Optimistic

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
No Go.

Hopefully the Acer community can help me out.

Thanks for the help Sniper

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
The BIOS update could've reset/enabled some sort of thermal throttling/battery saving, and that the tradeoff between fast gaming performance was poorer battery life. :dunno:

In this thread, a user mentioned some Windows-side steps to try:
https://community.amd.com/thread/180142

Could also try and see if there are updated video drivers for that APU as well, might not fix the stuttering, but who knows.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
You should go into your BIOS and look around. When it first boots up, and probably on the same screen as the Acer logo, you may see some small text that tells you the key to press to enter BIOS/Setup. It's usually a Function key, like F2 or F12. Press that key before the text goes away. Once in the BIOS, look around for options that have to do with performance/graphics/battery/eco. You might see an option to enable "High Performance" or an option to decide which graphics/GPU chip to use or an option to disable a battery saving mode.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad