Need Advice: Taking newborn to game.

Kel0906

Mar 11, 2004
Tennessee
Mods: I hope I put this in the appropriate place.

Preds fans, I need your help!

My husband is a STH, he has an extra ticket to Monday's game against the Coyotes. Our baby will be 6 weeks old, and I want the 3 of us to go to the game.

At what age did you start taking your child to games? Is my son way too young?

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
We sit in 301. My first born made his first game at 2 months, my second about 1 week old. (April Bday and we wanted to show her off) Didn't need earmuffs for them although lots of parents freak out about the noise, but truthfully, they just sleep. Bring plenty of blankets.

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
Taking kids that young to games is pointless. They will likely start crying and piss off all the other crowd members. The age where a child can really properly engage with a live sporting event is 4 or 5 IMO. I always see a lot of parents with 3 year olds or less at my local soccer team's matches and they just seem so uninterested and always want to go home.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
As an ear doctor I have to disagree with token. The noise level is high enough at times that you should at a minimum put a hat on the baby and some cotton in the ears

FFWRX

Unregistered User
Feb 12, 2007
Greenbrier, TN
As an ear doctor I have to disagree with token. The noise level is high enough at times that you should at a minimum put a hat on the baby and some cotton in the ears

We took our firstborn when he was 1 month old to I think 3 playoff games in 06. We did the cotton in ears thing and had some blankets. Changed his diaper between periods. He slept the whole time. Although now as a 7 year old he has selective hearing, and I know that is only going to get worse.

Dont try to bring the big car-seat carrier thing in. Just take turns holding your baby.

lstcyr

Jul 29, 2002
Visit site
My daughter's a pediatrician so I asked her. She said the child was way too young to be in that loud an environment never mind the exposure to germs without being vaccinated. She actually asked me if the question was a joke. I'd advise against it but it's your (and your child's) life.

Kel0906

Mar 11, 2004
Tennessee
This question is not a joke. I am a first time mom, so I ask a lot of "stupid" questions.

We have bought ear muffs for him, and plan to baby wear. Just wanted to know some experiences from fellow hockey fans! Thanks to everyone who has answered so far.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
This question is not a joke. I am a first time mom, so I ask a lot of "stupid" questions.

We have bought ear muffs for him, and plan to baby wear. Just wanted to know some experiences from fellow hockey fans! Thanks to everyone who has answered so far.

I agree with the person whose daughter is a pediatrician.

Let's just take one vaccination. Pertussis. Your child isn't vaccinated against it yet. You're in an arena with thousands that could have it. All you have to do is walk thru an area where some adult carrier has sneezed.

Speaking as a grandparent who had to be re vaccinated last year to even hold my first grandchild because that is what her pediatrician said......

As someone said, it's your risk to take..\

And just google how far sneezes with flu germs travel.........

lstcyr

Jul 29, 2002
Visit site

No question is "stupid". I'm sorry if I gave you that impression. A follow-up from my daughter says that, if a six week old gets sick with a fever, they usually get admitted to the hospital.

It's up to each individual to decide for themselves but I would advise against taking the baby.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

Have to agree with doc. I have 10% hearing loss in the left ear because of the 303 .

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Have to agree with doc. I have 10% hearing loss in the left ear because of the 303 .

did the little elf man scream in your ear?

I just put what we did. I know there are docs galore here, so I would listen to them which I am sure you will. My kids hear fine. They heard so well god!@#$#12it Zidlicky was in Alex's early vocabulary.

Kel0906

Mar 11, 2004
Tennessee
token grinder, that made me laugh. I think we all at one point had @&*@&@* Zidlicky in our vocabulary.

Baby is exclusively nursing, so if I go, he has to go. He gets his first vaccinations December 12, so I am leaning toward just waiting until the next home game after Christmas (husband has an extra ticket). I miss going to the games.

Note to self: Have next baby in offseason.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
did the little elf man scream in your ear?

I just put what we did. I know there are docs galore here, so I would listen to them which I am sure you will. My kids hear fine. They heard so well god!@#$#12it Zidlicky was in Alex's early vocabulary.

He's not an elf, he's a pregnant leprechaun.

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN

We waited till my oldest daughter was around 5 months old to go to a Preds game having a November birthday. She screamed and cried but loves seeing pic of her in the onsie I made for her with computer generated iron ons from pics of the jersey logos. Here is my wife carrying her to the arena when they had the Catfish out in front of the building:
Catfish-1.jpg
Also if you DO go, beware of security not allowing a diaper bag in and ask for management if they try to stop you.

Mainly waited because the Winter is when so many folks are indoors and colds and malodies are so easily passed from proximity. Heck, we hardly took her anywhere for 6 weeks because of the media fears about the flu vaccine in 2003. The first time we really took her out in public was Christmas of 2003. Our other girl was born in late April of '07 and with outdoor events, we were not as concerned with being in public since the weather was warmer (hot as Hades that summer) and people weren't as couped up in the house.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
We brought the granddaughter when she was around 4 months old and she slept or cried. We had ear protection for her but the goal horn still startled her.

She's 5 and it's only now that we're really feeling like she's getting anything from going to the games. Mostly she's interested in the cotton candy.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
We brought the granddaughter when she was around 4 months old and she slept or cried. We had ear protection for her but the goal horn still startled her.

She's 5 and it's only now that we're really feeling like she's getting anything from going to the games. Mostly she's interested in the cotton candy.

With my kids, it was ice cream. We didn't bring the first kid to see the Admirals until around 3 years old. Less problems and stuff to haul, better immunity systems. Played tag and swung her around in the corner stairs between periods. Second kid was younger, but had big sister to also entertain her as well as the game. By 4 or 5 they would point at penalties on the ice.

Last time the younger went to a game she said "why are both defensemen outside the dots in the neutral zone? Nobody is going to score from there! They aren't playing their wings that wide." She is old enough to drive herself to the game, but we average 5500, not 15,550.

As a two time parent, wait until three years old. You will enjoy the games more, so will your child and seat neighbors.

lstcyr

Jul 29, 2002
Visit site
I'm taking the almost four year old to his first NHL game Caps-Canadiens day after Thanksgiving. While he was watching a Buffalo game on TV, his mom told him he'd be going to the game. He replied that it wasn't the same game since the Sabres wouldn't be playing. For his sake, I hope Buffalo gets better before he realizes how bad they are.

kakemono

Dec 27, 2006
I remember Erat's son with his big earmuffs on using his left hand to hold the middle two fingers of his right down - to make the 'rock on' symbol for the jumbotron.

I would listen to the ear doctor on this one.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
Infants and very young children definitely need hearing protection.

As stated, there's not much value in bringing a child younger than 5. You'll likely be annoying those around you, not be able to watch much of the game and will be leaving early.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Infants and very young children definitely need hearing protection.

As stated, there's not much value in bringing a child younger than 5. You'll likely be annoying those around you, not be able to watch much of the game and will be leaving early.

100% wrong. Some of the best times I have had in our barn is with my now 6 year old and he has been coming since his Day1. And my 3 year old girl loves the game nd the circus around it. maybe I am spoiled to sit in a section with a bunch of good people for a number of years, but it is worth every penny to bring them.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
100% wrong. Some of the best times I have had in our barn is with my now 6 year old and he has been coming since his Day1. And my 3 year old girl loves the game nd the circus around it. maybe I am spoiled to sit in a section with a bunch of good people for a number of years, but it is worth every penny to bring them.
OMG, your oldest is 6 now? That's just wrong. Why do my hockey friends kids grow up faster?

Hell, I remember Brady's oldest sleeping on a blanket at the old rink when we first started playing together. I think she's a senior at MTSU now...

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom

Maybe your kids just have rare good behavior in that they can stay focused on a hockey game for several hours. Most kids under 5 that I know/have seen at games become restless, start crying or moaning to their parent within an hour and most have no interest in the game at all. I just don't think there is a ton of value to bringing a kid that young to a game, but if they love hockey then sure it's great to take them.

But if we're talking about babies then I really think people shouldn't bring them, they cry up a storm usually and I wouldn't say I'm a moody person but that pisses me off bigtime if I'm sitting near them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad