Need a goal in the final minute: McDavid or Matthews?

Who would you take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
You're down a goal in the final minute of the 3rd, and you can choose between these 2. Who would you take? Matthews is considered a better goal-scorer than CM so this should be interesting.
In a vacuum, McDavid. He's the better player.

However, I may opt for the better shooter depending on who else is on the ice.

Voted McDavid anyway.

Reactions: Silky mitts

Mar 26, 2010
Say what you want but Matthews is clutch in those situations.

Matthews is the way better shooter, and anyone that says otherwise is just plain out hating.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

Matthews is the way better shooter, and anyone that says otherwise is just plain out hating.
There's more to generating offense than being a good shooter. McDavid gives his team the better chance of generating a goal and anyone that says otherwise is just plain out hating or a Leafs fan.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Mcdavid... Although I think it’s going to be more lopsided of a result than it should be. Matthews has the better shot, I think I’d trust him more than McDavid in a set up.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
For any specialized situation, the right answer is almost always pick the better player. McDavid creates offense at an absurd level

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
McDavid creates chances at such a high rate, either for himself or teammates. if it's a final minute situation im taking McDavid

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
You never said that one of them has to be the one to score the goal... only that you can choose between one of them. Assuming it's the same teammates regardless who you choose, McDavid has a better chance of scoring or setting up a goal than Matthews does.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
The only way I could see this in Matthews favour is if the question revolves around that particular player needing to score the goal. If all I need is a goal from anyone, there is no reason not to take McDavid as he gives my team the best chance to score.

Reactions: filinski77

Mar 26, 2010
There's more to generating offense than being a good shooter. McDavid gives his team the better chance of generating a goal and anyone that says otherwise is just plain out hating or a Leafs fan.
I said shooter... not better player. Matthews shot is on another level than McDavids. Call me a hater, it is the truth.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
If you're already in the offensive zone, Matthews. If you're starting in the defensive zone, McDavid.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
McDavid

if some data were to be presented to show that Matthews is super clutch in these situations i'd be willing to change my vote. But barring that you pick the better offensive player. Matthews can maybe score more but McDavid playmakes more and creates more goals overall.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The only way I could see the argument for Matthews is if the team is set up in the zone with only say 10-15 seconds left. McDavid creates more offense overall, but a lot of that is created through his transition play. With even a minute left the chances of the team having to regroup and reenter the zone are greater and that's where McDavid is going to shine, but if you only have enough time for the current setup to produce, I'd argue Matthews is more likely to create a high danger opportunity in that situation. Though I'd probably take Ovechkin in that situation over anyone because the guy can get a great shot off from just about anywhere

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Colton Orr

currently retired and should be relatively cheap to sign and aside from that he just checks all the boxes,he's scored multiple goals in the past(even multiple in the same season a couple times),he's got the same last name as Bobby Orr who both won a couple art rosses and was really good at defense,and is he a former Leaf? you better believe it

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
The only way I could see this in Matthews favour is if the question revolves around that particular player needing to score the goal. If all I need is a goal from anyone, there is no reason not to take McDavid as he gives my team the best chance to score.

This

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007

does McDavid have to be the one scoring it? Or do we just need a goal? Because you can create chances for other people too

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN

Matthews would be the player I’d want in the first game in the first period in the first shift in a return lol

But yeah he’s clutch and when he scored in overtime against buffalo two weeks ago i wanted to slam my head in broken glass, I’d love it if his jersey was a buffalo one when that happened tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad