Necas vs Suzuki

Who’s going to be the better player?

• Total voters

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Two very promising young forwards that look to be big pieces for their teams.

Necas drafted 12OA by Carolina in 2017.
Suzuki drafter 13OA by Vegas in 2017. Later traded to MTL in the Max Pac trade.

Almost identical stats in the NHL. Necas playing as as a RW on Carolina’s 2nd line.

Suzuki centring a line with Drouin and Anderson. Not sure if I would call it the first line or not. Seems like the Habs have kind of a 1A 1B thing going on.

Both drafted as centers but very different skills and types of players.

Necas is a horse that is already one of the best skaters in the league. Elite stick handling and a great shot. Loves the puck in his stick but not always the most aware of his surroundings or uses his teammates to the best of their abilities. Deadly in OT.

Suzuki is on the smaller side but a high IQ, high motor and a good distributor. Always engaged and plays a chippy physical game especially for his size,

Forget about who you’d rather have on your team or who you’d add to a blank roster.

Who’s the better player going forward?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Good poll, I can see this one going either way.

I think Nachos is going to be the more dynamic of the two players, but I'm not completely convinced that he ever makes the switch to center. His improvements defensively this season have me a lot more optimistic for being able to make that jump, but we'll see. He may just simply be one of those guys that's just a better fit as a wing.

Suzuki just has that complete game that you'd want out of a center. Seems like the kind of guy that will be Montreal's #1C for the next decade or so even if he doesn't top out as an elite one. So it all comes down to position preferences here IMO.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I said this in a similar poll last year and still think it applies, though less so with the gains Necas is making.

I think Necas has the potential to be the better player long term, but he's still not as "refined" as Suzuki. Necas's speed and skill and ability to make plays at that speed is kind of rare and if he can take the steps to continue to improve his overall game (like he has), then I'd probably take Necas long term. He still has a lot of raw elements to his game, although they have improved dramatically over last year.

Right now though, I think Suzuki is the better player today as his game is more well rounded and mature from the times I've watched him. He's also playing center vs. Necas is playing wing right now.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Necas is/will be better offensively by a fair margin, but Suzuki is a more complete player. Pick your poison.

I think that’s a fair assessment. Necas probably could round his game out more if he wanted to but he just loves to skate with the puck so much and always has offense on his mind.

Ideally these are two guys you want on the same team/line as they’d probably compliment each other a ton.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad