Prospect Info: Necas: Keep him or Send him down

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Couple things

Are we sure this team is playing over it's head right now? Last couple years we dominated advanced stats only to be addicted to the post. Add in a bunch of guys who apparently have a scoring touch and is it really unexpected for us to be filling score sheets? Including preseason, this team has been pretty potent for about 10 games now.

If Necas is getting 10 mins a night at the NHL level, that should be plenty of experience to continue his growth at this level, no? It's definitely not 2nd line minutes, but it's not minimal spot coverage, either.

Regardless, we need to make a decision that is best for Necas, even if that means sacrificing a year of ELC to keep our relationship good. Not only is it really the right thing to do, but it'll help firmly establish that this organization operates on the up and up and is a legitimate good place for free agents to sign. Right now, we need all the help we can get in that department.

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
The Canes are on pace for 143.5 points this year.

I think they are playing over their head right now.

While I agree we won’t finish with 143 points, I do think the new system and the new faces are making us a lot more explosive. Right now we are winning 6-5. Only a matter of time before we see if we’ll start losing 7-6.

The Jerk Store

Felix Unger Score'em
Jul 2, 2012
Hills to the North
Necas continued to have the puck bounce on his blade tonight although his game was probably trending in a better direction. To my amateur eye some of the mistakes seem like they're caused by getting used to a longer stick. Either that or rookie nerves since he should have the skills.
Maybe gripping his stick a little too tightly.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
i honestly don't think burning a year of his ELC is a big deal and i don't think that should be taken into consideration when considering whether to send him down. burning a year can actually work in a team's favor, since the player's ELC can end before they break out, and then the team could get a discount on their next deal compared to if their ELC ended after they break out.

the much bigger issue is using up a year of unrestricted free agency. that will happen if necas is on the roster for 41 games this season. i don't think a decision really needs to be made until he's on the roster for 40 games.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Necas continued to have the puck bounce on his blade tonight although his game was probably trending in a better direction. To my amateur eye some of the mistakes seem like they're caused by getting used to a longer stick. Either that or rookie nerves since he should have the skills.
Is he using a longer stick? That would be a poor choice right now. Never liked his choice of pattern in the first place.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
The Canes are on pace for 143.5 points this year.

I think they are playing over their head right now.

You might even say this pace is.....

unsustainable

internet-o-face-samberg.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad