Value of: Neal to EDM or NSH

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
This a waste of time. The Oilers will offer Lucic which is a non-starter. His NMC (and the subsequent need to protect him in the expansion draft) is something no GM is stupid enough to take on (other than maybe Benning).

Nashville will at best offer Turris, which is sort of fair. But Turris has an additional year on his contract. And the Flames need help more on the right wing than on their third line at center.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
According to Nick Kypreos, both teams have interest in "The Real Deal"

What would a deal look like?

So 2 teams who are currently trying to shed cap are looking at Neal? That would likely only mean as a swap for another bad contract like Turris or Lucic

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Neal makes no sense for Nashville because we would probably only offer Turris but we’d probably only offer Turris if we got Duchene in which case we wouldn’t have the cap for Neal without making other moves and Neal just simply isn’t worth making the other moves necessary to fit him in at this point.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Did lucic break his foot twice last year or have some other injury to cause him to have a down year?

No it's sad to say but his points have been declining steadily for a few years here now. He has been healthy and in the line up.

Lucic, if he was being paid $2 Million or like $2.5 Million his contract wouldn't be an issue. Like at all. He is still and NHLer, something that most posters on the HF boards don't understand or willfully ignore.

He is simply overpaid and in this cap era that is a big problem. Plus his NTC makes things a bit more complicated.

Hell of a signing, Chiarelli.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
This a waste of time. The Oilers will offer Lucic which is a non-starter. His NMC (and the subsequent need to protect him in the expansion draft) is something no GM is stupid enough to take on (other than maybe Benning).

Nashville will at best offer Turris, which is sort of fair. But Turris has an additional year on his contract. And the Flames need help more on the right wing than on their third line at center.

I may be completely mistaken but would Lucic need to waive his NMC to get traded to Calgary (hypothetically) and thus make his NMC void for the expansion draft?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Neal + for

Craig Smith?
Much rather keep Smith, who's probably the better player at this point and will come at a cheaper price tag if we re-sign him after this season.

Also zero interest in trading Turris for him.

With the speculation we are trying to drop salary and considering Neal's decline and remaining contract, this rumor makes little sense.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I may be completely mistaken but would Lucic need to waive his NMC to get traded to Calgary (hypothetically) and thus make his NMC void for the expansion draft?

I think the player can waive for a trade, but can explicitly state the NMC stays in effect for his contract the rest of the way. The team acquiring him has to agree to it. In Lucic's case I don't think he does that, he grew up in the general area near Seattle and probably wouldn't mind playing there. Way less pressure and focus on his contract in such an environment.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
The entire concept of Neal to Edmonton is a head scratcher. The Oilers are already in a very iffy cap situation. I simply cant see Cowgary taking Lucic in exchange. Sure, Neal is a winger who used to score a bit, but he’s aging and overpaid. There are potential landing spots for a guy like that, but it surely isnt North on Highway 2.

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
Lucic for Neal could be a nice change of scenery for both, but Edmonton would have to add. Not sure if they'd want to just for another dump.

Turris for Neal seems alright. I wouldn't do it if I were Nashville but maybe if Flames added enough (2nd?)

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
No it's sad to say but his points have been declining steadily for a few years here now. He has been healthy and in the line up.

Lucic, if he was being paid $2 Million or like $2.5 Million his contract wouldn't be an issue. Like at all. He is still and NHLer, something that most posters on the HF boards don't understand or willfully ignore.

He is simply overpaid and in this cap era that is a big problem. Plus his NTC makes things a bit more complicated.

Hell of a signing, Chiarelli.
He is not an NHL'er. There is no argument to be made there. The Oilers called up Currie and Gambardella from Bakersfield and they both significantly outplayed Lucic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad