Player Discussion Neal Pionk

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
I don't like Kampfer but something about saying "thankfully" he broke his hand that doesn't sit well with me.
Agree - I felt bad writing that and should have worded it differently. I am not thankful that he was hurt. He plays with heart and all his ability. It's just that he is a career AHL talent and the type of guy that AV gloms into instead of younger more talented options who need to play thru their mistakes to get better.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
Well, that’s true, but it sets up a rather favorable impression of Pionk that I’m not sure he merits. I mean, can we now say that Zibanejad is a Lindros-type?

With all due respect and apologies for the sarcasm I don’t buy that comparison (analogy?) at all.

Pionk, to me, seems well coached but not really athletically gifted.

TBD I suppose.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Well, that’s true, but it sets up a rather favorable impression of Pionk that I’m not sure he merits. I mean, can we now say that Zibanejad is a Lindros-type?

With all due respect and apologies for the sarcasm I don’t buy that comparison (analogy?) at all.

Pionk, to me, seems well coached but not really athletically gifted.

TBD I suppose.

I don't understand what you mean by this. He has the same coaches as the rest of the team. Is it an attempt to not acknowledge that he seems to be a very smart player?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I agree, I don't want anyone hurt.

Me either, but if this keeps up it just reinforces the thinking about AV. When Staal got hurt and we knew he would be out a while, why was Kampfer inserted in the lineup rather than call up one of these guys?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Me either, but if this keeps up it just reinforces the thinking about AV. When Staal got hurt and we knew he would be out a while, why was Kampfer inserted in the lineup rather than call up one of these guys?

Because it's AV and in his mind he is trying to win and trying to stay employed and he thinks the vet gives him the best chance.

It's why he's not going to be the right coach if this team seriously hits the reset button.

Reactions: eco's bones

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Because it's AV and in his mind he is trying to win and trying to stay employed and he thinks the vet gives him the best chance.

It's why he's not going to be the right coach if this team seriously hits the reset button.

The question was rhetorical.

Actually, I think it betrays a deeper problem than vets over youth.

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
I don't understand what you mean by this. He has the same coaches as the rest of the team. Is it an attempt to not acknowledge that he seems to be a very smart player?

He can listen and excexute. That means he’s smart. I thought I criticized his athleticism.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Agree - I felt bad writing that and should have worded it differently. I am not thankful that he was hurt. He plays with heart and all his ability. It's just that he is a career AHL talent and the type of guy that AV gloms into instead of younger more talented options who need to play thru their mistakes to get better.

This "career AHL talent" tag, I don't get.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
He can listen and excexute. That means he’s smart. I thought I criticized his athleticism.

Yes you did; while not acknowledging what he does well.

If he becomes an NHL regular, it won't be because of freakish athleticism. Nobody thinks that. He plays smart hockey, does a good job at minimizing his mistakes, and keeps the puck moving in the right direction.

Will that be enough to make it? Sounds like people are about 50/50 on it, but if his athleticism was a make or break issue with him, then he would already be broken.

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
Sorry, it seemed there was lots of positivity here and some of it unwarranted.

It might be fairer to say he's a Doug Lidster type, and even that presumes he'll have a 60 point season and luck into signing with a few SC championship teams. Disagree on whether or not he'll make it or not based on athleticism. This is the NHL. Many more formidable prospects have gotten smoked and crashed out at this level.

Mark me as pessimistic. If smart puck movement is going to be his calling card, let's check in with his fancy stats at the end of the season.

Reactions: Ola

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

It might be fairer to say he's a Doug Lidster type, and even that presumes he'll have a 60 point season and luck into signing with a few SC championship teams. Disagree on whether or not he'll make it or not based on athleticism. This is the NHL. Many more formidable prospects have gotten smoked and crashed out at this level.

Mark me as pessimistic. If smart puck movement is going to be his calling card, let's check in with his fancy stats at the end of the season.

This is fair.

I think I'm giving it a little more of a leash than this 20-odd game sample size, but I'm a little more sold on his game translating well than you seem to be.

If he starts repeating mistakes or has lousy underlying numbers at the end of the year, then I may be singing a different tune.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Is there room for both DeAngelo and Pionk? Especially with Shattenkirk locked in. Rangers need to figure that out.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Even then I think Pionk projects closer to a 2 way guy or even more on the defensive side of a 2 way defenseman, so it’s not like they’re all offense first righties
He was known for his offense in college but yes you’re correct

It’s like having three skilled defenseman who can chip in on offense is a problem

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

You make a fair point.

It was poorly written by me. In terms of style I wanted to compare Pionk to Rafalski in the context of comparing TDA to Green.

What did I mean with that? Green was much more flashy and especially speedy than Rafalski but Rafalski IMO was better because he was so smart, consistent and disciplined. And this was actually a reply to someone saying that TDA was heads and shoulders above Pionk referring to TDAs speed. IE I didn’t mean that Pionk will become Rafalski II, just saying that he can become at least as good as TDA despite being less flashy.

I can myself react when people compare like Buch to Malkin, so I shouldn’t be throwing Rafalskis name out there next to Pionk. NP got a really long way to go to get there.

However, AV who supposedly hates kids, AGAIN had Pionk LEADING our team in ice time in our last game. There is definitely a reason for why AV trusts Pionk so much more than he have trusted and trusts other kids. Pionk is doing a tremendous job on the ice. Tremendous. However — like you point out — this must be seen against the background of what tools he has. And right now those tools are of course far behind the optimal NHLer. He will of course not get taller, but he should get a little stronger and more explosive still.

Reactions: Ori and BobSantos

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Because everyone is worried that the team has too many of the same type of defenseman

Which is laughable but I digress
No that’s not my point.

Is Shattenkirk, DeAngelo and Pionk a good enough core of RHD at the NHL level; especially if Shattenkirk can’t play on the first pair? Do the Rangers need to find a 1RHD, and if so, whom of those three players should be moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad