Player Discussion Neal Pionk: Part II

iggyDDS

Nov 15, 2005
Brooklyn
Putting aside his flaws and where some of his project him long-term, Pionk has scored at roughly a 6 goal, 44 point pace to this point in his career --- including a 12 goal, 49 point pace this season.

I mean, let's be honest, that's not exactly something that should be easily dismissed or taken for granted.

ADA has less road behind him to this point, but is also on a 50 point pace at the moment.

Yes, things change. And yes they are going to hit rough patches. But in our quest to find young, franchise players I think we do need to acknowledge kids who are at least showing that they have a shot to be good NHL players for us.

We spend so much time talking about what our young players aren't, that we don't really ever talk about what they actually are.

I know that's just what he's on pace for... but that would be so impressive.
Just for fun, the last time a Ranges Dman had more than 50+ points was Brian Leetch in 2001-2002.
Poti came close in 2002-2003 with 48.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I know that's just what he's on pace for... but that would be so impressive.
Just for fun, the last time a Ranges Dman had more than 50+ points was Brian Leetch in 2001-2002.
Poti came close in 2002-2003 with 48.

Let's even say he settles down a little.

The fact is that we'd be looking at a "rookie" defenseman scoring around 8 goals and 45 points in his first 82 games.

That's not a small feat.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

iggyDDS

Nov 15, 2005
Brooklyn
Let's even say he settles down a little.

The fact is that we'd be looking at a "rookie" defenseman scoring around 8 goals and 45 points in his first 82 games.

That's not a small feat.

100% agree. I would be very pleasantly surprised if he puts up 40+ points.
Last time a ranger dman had over, was Michael "Lisa Ann" Del Zotto in 2012.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
If you have 20 points in 41 games you're not actually on pace for 40 points (example). Using a linear extrapolation is faulty. If his expectation is that he will score say 0.3 points/game and he has 20 points in 41 games he is "on pace" for 32 points when we initially expected him to score 25.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
If you have 20 points in 41 games you're not actually on pace for 40 points (example). Using a linear extrapolation is faulty. If his expectation is that he will score say 0.3 points/game and he has 20 points in 41 games he is "on pace" for 32 points when we initially expected him to score 25.
u guys are like cult memebers

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Yep.

And as I said early, I know he grades out poorly in the metrics we look at, but I wouldn't be surprised to find the Rangers have their own set of metrics that they emphasize.

They evidently do, based on the players they covet and the performance of the team over the past few years haha.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Common core analytics

Reactions: Inferno

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
They evidently do, based on the players they covet and the performance of the team over the past few years haha.

Eh...I mean maybe. But what's the implication here? NYR have some clandestine 'internal metrics' that Pionk is passing with flying colors or something?

This seems like confirmation bias. I think the organization likes Pionk and his skill set but I don't think they're satisfied with him as a 1RD.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Eh...I mean maybe. But what's the implication here? NYR have some clandestine 'internal metrics' that Pionk is passing with flying colors or something?

This seems like confirmation bias. I think the organization likes Pionk and his skill set but I don't think they're satisfied with him as a 1RD.

It was kind of a joke. Had less to do with Pionk and was more a general diss at the organization.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
In the absence of a universally accepted expected point pace, I think it's ok we use his current rate.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Yep.

And as I said early, I know he grades out poorly in the metrics we look at, but I wouldn't be surprised to find the Rangers have their own set of metrics that they emphasize.
This is what AV had said publicly. They have their own "analytics" so to speak. Probably Ruff has passed that on to Quinnie.....who knows? Probably was Ruff's or his connections that was passed on to AV. Again, who knows?

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Putting aside his flaws and where some of his project him long-term, Pionk has scored at roughly a 6 goal, 44 point pace to this point in his career --- including a 12 goal, 49 point pace this season.

I mean, let's be honest, that's not exactly something that should be easily dismissed or taken for granted.

ADA has less road behind him to this point, but is also on a 50 point pace at the moment.

Yes, things change. And yes they are going to hit rough patches. But in our quest to find young, franchise players I think we do need to acknowledge kids who are at least showing that they have a shot to be good NHL players for us.

We spend so much time talking about what our young players aren't, that we don't really ever talk about what they actually are.

This is spot on. There is waaay too much, X sucked, B was terrible....and not enough of Z made these 3 plays last night that are showing he is getting it, or A had a rough game, but was still able to do this....

There are times I question how some posters can even enjoy watching a game when all they do is bitch and moan. Is that why we are fans, to be entertained?

(insert Russell Crowe .gif from gladiator) I am a tech dummie....

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

It's not confirmation bias. I'm just speculating. If his traditional metrics are that bad, yet the team gives his such a huge role, it leads me to think one of two things are happening: either the team doesn't give shit about the numbers behind the performance (unlikely), or they themselves use different methods of evaluating play. Of course, there could be other explanations.

Still, I don't know why it would be hard to believe the Rangers have different means of evaluation and unique metrics and other data to analyze. Baseball teams spend millions on analytics departments, and it's obviously not just a bunch of guys paid to sit and check everyone's numbers on FanGraphs before making a move. They do their own proprietary stuff. Seems plausible and logical that hockey teams would be doing the same to some degree.

And even then, the "passing with flying colors" is also not something I implied. I'm just saying, maybe they have their own systems, and in them he looks competent defensively, rather than the train wreck we see in our stats. Do hockey players wear those "sports bra" tracking devices that measure all sorts of things about speed, location and movement, etc.? That alone could provide a whole wealth of additional data. I'm just saying--I'm sure they look at things other than CFrel% that we don't have access to and never will.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Even if you are playing sound positional defense, spending a lot of time in your own zone with people shooting at your goalie is a bad thing. You aren't on offense and the more shots taken the greater the chance one goes in. There is really nothing particularly new or advanced about these concepts.

Calling shots or shot attempts advanced stats is like looking at my boots and calling them advanced shoes. I mean, I guess there has been significant advances in shoe innovation over the years. But the underlying principle of not wanting to walk around barefoot has remained pretty constant.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Even if you are playing sound positional defense, spending a lot of time in your own zone with people shooting at your goalie is a bad thing. You aren't on offense and the more shots taken the greater the chance one goes in. There is really nothing particularly new or advanced about these concepts.

Calling shots or shot attempts advanced stats is like looking at my boots and calling them advanced shoes. I mean, I guess there has been significant advances in shoe innovation over the years. But the underlying principle of not wanting to walk around barefoot has remained pretty constant.

Isn't that first sentence sort of contradictory

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

Boots are advanced shoes and milk is advanced water. This is basic stuff, man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad