Confirmed with Link: Neal Pionk - four-year extension, AAV of $5.875 million

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think they might still trade Copp. But I wouldn't be surprised if they sign him to something like 2-3 x 4.5M. They would need to do some roster gymnastics, running a short roster (21 player) for stretches. But there are ways they can fit a 4-4.5M cap hit, I think.
Only if there are no injuries.

I love having Copper on the team but I just don't see how they can work him in and I don't see Chevy playing that tight to the cap.
A 2nd and a 3rd or 4th would help replenish the draft picks we gave up for the D.
What would Copper bring back at this time of year?

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
BTW -- This will put a lot of psychological pressure on Copp to sign, when he sees all these guys resigning with the Jets. I bet he signs here too. He'll want to play for a winner, like the Jets.

If Copp resigns for a price the Jets cap can afford it will be a one year deal where both parties agree that he is all in for this year and the Jets will view him as a home bread rental.

Copp either is traded or he signs a 1 year deal for less money then he can get in the open market where the Jets assure him he will not be traded mid season and take one more stab for a cup run with the Jets. Copp gets his last chance with the only NHL team he has ever known for a cup run and the Jet view Copp as a rental that is gone to free agency next season so they get nothing for him and give up on him being a long term asset for the team.

If Copp does this which I doubt I would have no issue with this.

The Jets can not afford a long term deal for Copp at a price that Copp deserves.

The Jets are a better team with Copp in the lineup then without him.

So the compromise would be that Copp signs a team friendly 1 year deal and the Jets treat him as a rental.

Last edited:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Berlin proved he was nowhere near NHL ready!

and more than likely never will be, if Comrie is the backup we need to pray for Helly’s well being!

Jets will pickup a veteran NHL goalie to backup Helly, write it in pen!

They really need to sign another backup, as I have zero faith in Comrie from what I've seen. Even if they signed an older veteran Goalie like the Oilers did,( Smith I believe) that would be better than Comrie, unless he's improved a lot. We're gonna miss Brossoit a lot IMO.

Playing Comrie in net is like giving away 15 games this season - can't afford that.

Last edited:

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
So Morrissey and Pionk were the PP guys last season.
Will they go to one 3F2D set up for PP2 or will one of Morrissey or Pionk lose PP TOI for Schmidt?

I've been thinking they go 3F2D for PP2.

I'm visualizing it as:

Connor Scheifele Wheeler
Ehlers Pionk

Dubois Stastny Vesalainen
Morrissey Schmidt

And for PK:

Copp/FA Lowry
Dillon DeMelo

Gus/Harkins Nash
Morrissey Schmidt

With Stanley eventually getting some time on the PK as well.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

They really need to sign another backup, as I have zero faith in Comrie from what I've seen. Even if they signed an older veteran Goalie like the Oilers did,( Smith I believe) that would be better than Comrie, unless he's improved a lot. We're gonna miss Brosoit a lot IMO.

Playing Comrie in net is like giving away 15 games this season - can't afford that.

Watch out for Holm. I think he's already the #2. He'll start on the Moose & play his way onto the roster by the trade deadline

Jeffsrig

Jan 27, 2015
Innisfail
There are those who stare in awe of the pretty blue and red lights on the side of the road in hopes they may get a glimpse of some carnage and destruction and then there are those who can live without. I lean towards the latter.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
There are those who stare in awe of the pretty blue and red lights on the side of the road in hopes they may get a glimpse of some carnage and destruction and then there are those who can live without. I lean towards the latter.

Yup.

Its ok to not be a through thick or thin fan. I watch fans who only complain and are 90% negative and I sit thinking where is the payoff? It’s a hobby not a job and they let you not watch. It’s people’s right to be miserable but life is pretty short. With the stress Covid brought to my professional life I had to dial back my Jets viewership a bit over the past two seasons. Normally I am comfortable with the highs and lows of my beloved team but the compounded stress was leading to a bit too much self medication :laugh:.

My professional stress is now normalized so I will be able to strap back into the roller coaster if I choose too. I like myself more as an 80%er though. I think it’s the sweet spot to find my balance.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'll wait for the dust to settle before deciding on a rating. Sure looking good right now.
Not just because he got Pionk signed, but he got him for the right term and a VG AAV.
I get what you are saying but Chevy can only get the players , how they play is a different story but just looking at the way he changed this defense in one off-season gets a A+ from this Dude. :nod:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I get what you are saying but Chevy can only get the players , how they play is a different story but just looking at the way he changed this defense in one off-season gets a A+ from this Dude. :nod:

I'm not even talking about how they play. The off-season isn't over yet. Maybe it is just about how many +++ after the A. :laugh:

I still want to see what happens with Copp, goaltending and how is the cap managed before I give a rating.

Reactions: Jets 31

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I've been thinking they go 3F2D for PP2.

I'm visualizing it as:

Connor Scheifele Wheeler
Ehlers Pionk

Dubois Stastny Vesalainen
Morrissey Schmidt

And for PK:

Copp/FA Lowry
Dillon DeMelo

Gus/Harkins Nash
Morrissey Schmidt

With Stanley eventually getting some time on the PK as well.

Only problem with those PP units is that the unit with 2 defensemen likely doesn’t employ two left shot defensemen. One of Morrissey or Schmidt will be on PP1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad