NCAA vs Major Junior: USA vs Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

dink182

Aug 7, 2002
Visit site
If you remember the previous discussions we had in previous threads, the USA vs Canada game will be an excellent opportunity to see how our development systems, playing styles, talent, and leagues compare. I can't wait!

Hockeypuck

dink182 said:
If you remember the previous discussions we had in previous threads, the USA vs Canada game will be an excellent opportunity to see how our development systems, playing styles, talent, and leagues compare. I can't wait!
True it will be a good chance to see how some of the high end talent matches up. But it won't give much of a gauge on how NCAA and CHL teams match up.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Well given that plenty of Canadians play in the NCAA and plenty of Americans play in the CHL, I'm not so sure.

BCCHL inactive

I'll go with the others. This isn't a CHL vs. NCAA show.

Hell, the USA has 2 CHL players on their team while Canada has 1 NCAA player...so Team USA has tapped into the CHL more than Team Canada has tapped into the NCAA. :p

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Van said:
I'll go with the others. This isn't a CHL vs. NCAA show.

Hell, the USA has 2 CHL players on their team while Canada has 1 NCAA player...so Team USA has tapped into the CHL more than Team Canada has tapped into the NCAA. :p

It would be 3 if you consider Fritsche CHL.

dink182

Aug 7, 2002
Visit site
No your right. 1 game is not going to write the book on the state of NCAA vs CHL, but it's better than nothing. How many chances do you get to see such a direct comparison? Most of Team Canada is high end talent from Major Junior, and most of team USA is high end talent from NCAA. It will be able to see how the players accustomed to the CHL's rough and tumble physical play with the red line compares to playing with more finesse and no red line in the NCAA.

Kugel

Oct 16, 2003
Ontario, Canada
dink182 said:
No your right. 1 game is not going to write the book on the state of NCAA vs CHL, but it's better than nothing. How many chances do you get to see such a direct comparison? Most of Team Canada is high end talent from Major Junior, and most of team USA is high end talent from NCAA. It will be able to see how the players accustomed to the CHL's rough and tumble physical play with the red line compares to playing with more finesse and no red line in the NCAA.

I have seen games from both leagues and i have to ssay that the CHL is better just because of the depth. i watched michigane last year and they were supposed to be one of the best teams in the country and they didnt impress me at all (side note, nystrom sucks). meanwhile i saw the icedogs play and every player was good.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Not to mention the number of Slovaks, Czechs, Finns and on, and on, that play in the CHL as opposed to the NCAA. The CHL is the top junior system in the world, period.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Kugel said:
I have seen games from both leagues and i have to ssay that the CHL is better just because of the depth. i watched michigane last year and they were supposed to be one of the best teams in the country and they didnt impress me at all (side note, nystrom sucks). meanwhile i saw the icedogs play and every player was good.

I'd say the top NCAA teams (top 10-15) are generally at a higher level of play than all the CHL teams.
The players of the CHL, as a whole, are definately more talented but the NCAA players are older and simply more physically mature.

For instance, every year there's a good number of average skilled overagers that dominate the CHL - not because they're necessarily that good but because they're older. If I'm not mistaken, this year it's the '83s.
The majority of NCAA seniors this year are '80 and '81 born.

Although their talent may close some of the gap, it's a tall order to expect a group of '83-'87s to beat a team of '80-'85s - especially a highly ranked, talented group of '80-'85.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Hemsky4PM said:
Not to mention the number of Slovaks, Czechs, Finns and on, and on, that play in the CHL as opposed to the NCAA. The CHL is the top junior system in the world, period.

What makes you think that the NCAA isn't attracting any Europeans? The NCAA has more Europeans playing in it than you might think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad