Ncaa or Canadian major junior whats the best route

Status
Not open for further replies.

choda32

Mar 17, 2004
Everyone on this form is very hockey literate and i respect there opinions i just wanted to geta little debate going .. which league do you think is better

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
choda32 said:
Everyone on this form is very hockey literate and i respect there opinions i just wanted to geta little debate going .. which league do you think is better

This has been debated to death since H.F. boards began operating. The short and true answer is (are you ready).....it all depends on the player. Both have their merits and disadvantages.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Pure statistics demonstrate that Major Junior is vastly superior in producing sheer numbers of NHL players.

That said, when I interviewed Willie Mitchell, who played at Clarkson University, he strongly recommended that a player who has the choice, go the route of the NCAA. This way they get an education because the reality is the majority of people don't make the NHL, and at least this way they get their education paid for while trying to pursue their dreams. If they don't make the NHL, they have something to fall back on.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Mountie said:
Pure statistics demonstrate that Major Junior is vastly superior in producing sheer numbers of NHL players.

That said, when I interviewed Willie Mitchell, who played at Clarkson University, he strongly recommended that a player who has the choice, go the route of the NCAA. This way they get an education because the reality is the majority of people don't make the NHL, and at least this way they get their education paid for while trying to pursue their dreams. If they don't make the NHL, they have something to fall back on.

A big misconception is that the CHL DOES pay for your school.

If you are good enough to play D1 NCAA than you are good enough to play the minimum amount of games required in the CHL to qualify for the money.

All you are doing is delaying school. Its not like the CHL graduates are thrown onto the street after their CHL eligibilty has expired.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
La-La-Laprise said:
A big misconception is that the CHL DOES pay for your school.

If you are good enough to play D1 NCAA than you are good enough to play the minimum amount of games required in the CHL to qualify for the money.

All you are doing is delaying school. Its not like the CHL graduates are thrown onto the street after their CHL eligibilty has expired.

It's a huge misconception indeed.

That's exactly why we see so many of the solid CHL players who don't get pro contracts, go to the CIS, because they are going free and because they need to get themselves an education.

I think the bottom line between choosing which route a player wishes to go, all comes down to readiness and maturity. While generalizing a tiny bit, I think that the guys who feel that they aren't ready to be Pro hockey players yet, the guys who wan't to be patient with their hockey career. They go the NCAA route. Where as the guys who just want to get to the show ASAP, they choose the CHL route.

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
It may also vary from team to team based on the makeup of their scouting staffs.

Don Waddell seems to have a tendency to go for NCAA or NCAA bound kids in Atlanta.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Honestly, I think the NCAA is superior in developing defensive games. It is just my general observation that the forwards and defensemen alike that come out of the NCAA are less accustomed to the run and gun style of Major Junior. In my opinion, that translates better to the NHL type game. Before the major junior supporters eat me up, i'm not saying it's impossible for a junior player to be defensive, i'm just saying it seems to me that the defensive aspects of the game are stressed more in the NCAA format. It's no secret, major junior scores are like 8-6 while NCAA scores usually look more like NHL scores.

Hitman*

Say 8-10 years ago, it would be the CHL by a mile. But now the amount of good players in the NCAA has greatly increased so it doesn't really matter what league you go to. I still think that the CHL prepares you for the NHL better in terms of the number of games, travelling, the rules etc., but the NCAA seems to have less primadonnas and the increased age difference creates a more NHL-like dressing room.

But the difference today is almost negligible.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Caniacforever said:
Honestly, I think the NCAA is superior in developing defensive games. It is just my general observation that the forwards and defensemen alike that come out of the NCAA are less accustomed to the run and gun style of Major Junior. In my opinion, that translates better to the NHL type game. Before the major junior supporters eat me up, i'm not saying it's impossible for a junior player to be defensive, i'm just saying it seems to me that the defensive aspects of the game are stressed more in the NCAA format. It's no secret, major junior scores are like 8-6 while NCAA scores usually look more like NHL scores.

I have to disagree. If this was indeed the case, then young players such as Jason Spezza, Nathon Horton, Eric Staal and so forth could not have made the jump from the CHL to the NHL. The CHL stresses systems and zone coverage as much as the NCAA does. You may see more goals scored in a CHL game but that is because is general the players in Major Junior are more talented.

I am glad that more and more people are becoming aware that the CHL does offer quality scholarships to its players. The minimum that all players receive is the full cost of tuition for every year played in the CHL. Many, however, receive far more than the minimum and it is the norm to find C.I.S. (Canadian University hockey) on full rides rather than the exception.

As for the best route, well I'll say it again, it all depends on the player. If I had to "advise" a prospective prospect on which route to take, I would look at two things. His maturity (read here physical maturity) level would be the foremost factor. Is he ready to handle the OHL game at the age of 16 and secondly does he have a chance of playing at the AHL/NHL level by the age of 20 or 21? If yes, then I would push for the OHL route.

This of course does not mean that a sure fire pro prospect who does go the NCAA route would ruin his chances of making it to the pros by the time he is 20 but I have always maintained that if you are not going into the NCAA to earn a degree (meaning play the full four years), then why bother choosing that route at all?

evman150*

If you're a bubble guy, the best route is NCAA. Because if you don't think you have a *good* chance at making it, it's best to think of an alternate future. And getting an education is a great way to do that.

If you're a great player, major junior is much better. NCAA is a lower level with lower level players overall. Players get better by playing against the best. If you really want to be as successful as possible, you play junior.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
First off in the CHL you have kids that are 16-19 with a few 20 years olds. In the NCAA it's rare to have a 17 year old on the team. So you have mostly 18-23 year olds in the NCAA vs 16-19 year olds. Add the fact that more and more 17-18 year olds are not entering the NCAA right away and are spending a year or two in the USHL instead as they need to mature physically or mentally.

In the NCAA you almost never play during the week, much less games, which means less travel more time to put to studies and working out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad