NCAA football playoff schedule announced

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
The seeding format should really be this:

The top 6 teams from the South (as defined by the US Census Bureau, which would include Maryland) would compete in the Bowden bracket for one spot in the CFP title game.

The top 6 teams from outside the South would compete in the Osborne bracket for the other spot in the CFP title game.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think those weeknight games will do horrible, like they did when they had them on New Year’s Eve. They’ll screw with the schedule after that.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
I think those weeknight games will do horrible, like they did when they had them on New Year’s Eve. They’ll screw with the schedule after that.
Specifically, Week 0 will be moved up to the Saturday that falls between August 16 and August 22, conference championship games will be played Thanksgiving weekend, and Army-Navy the first Saturday of December.

This would allow the first round of the CFP to be staged on the second or third Saturday of December depending on how many Saturdays are in December in a given year, the quarterfinals the week after that, and the time frame for the semifinals would return to where it is now, as well as what the time frame is for the NCG.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Specifically, Week 0 will be moved up to the Saturday that falls between August 16 and August 22, conference championship games will be played Thanksgiving weekend, and Army-Navy the first Saturday of December.

This would allow the first round of the CFP to be staged on the second or third Saturday of December depending on how many Saturdays are in December in a given year, the quarterfinals the week after that, and the time frame for the semifinals would return to where it is now, as well as what the time frame is for the NCG.
I actually think they will do that with Army/Navy since CBS doesn’t have the SEC conference championship game that would be the same weekend.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
I actually think they will do that with Army/Navy since CBS doesn’t have the SEC conference championship game that would be the same weekend.
That part won’t happen. Z’s theory makes sense, but Army and Navy want that standalone weekend. They will always be the bye week between the CCGs and the first round.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
As well, I expect the CFP to be exclusive to ESPN networks in the first two years of the 12-team playoff, with the possibility of some games on ABC.

I would like more of the CFP, if not all, on broadcast TV starting in 2026. Each of the Big 4 networks could air one game in each of the first two rounds, with Fox never airing on Fridays due to Smackdown.

The semifinals and NCG could rotate among the four networks too, with the last two rounds always airing on the same network. It hasn't been since 1997 that the iconic CBS CFB theme be used on a major bowl game.

It's been over a decade that major bowls have been exclusive to cable, time to reverse that trend in stages.

That part won’t happen. Z’s theory makes sense, but Army and Navy want that standalone weekend. They will always be the bye week between the CCGs and the first round.
And if Navy qualifies for the CCG of The American, that would take precedence over playing Army on Thanksgiving week. So that game has to be a week after the CCGs.

Furthermore, if the Rose and Sugar Bowls are the semis in a season Fox has them and January 1 is a Friday, the games get moved to January 2 to accommodate Smackdown. Likewise, the Tournament of Roses Parade gets moved to January 2.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Fox, I think, is not going to keep Smackdown anyways.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Under this proposal, the Friday CFP games in the first two rounds can air on ABC, with CBS, Fox and NBC airing the Saturday games. Any other sports events on those networks on those Saturdays would have to be scheduled in a manner that they can't overlap with the start of the CFP game. ABC would be free to air non-CFP bowl games on quarterfinal Saturday, which would fall during the weekend that bowl season currently starts.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I think the "fantastic" the article is referring to is the reaction by the betting companies.

"Tired of waiting until the weekend to lose money on football? The NCAA has fixed that!"

Reactions: Reaser

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad