OT: NCAA Football 2016 Season

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I'm a huge NCAA football fan, always have been. I'm sure there are other NCAA fans here too.

#3 Oklahoma getting rocked by #15 Houston right now. This Houston team looks damn strong.

#5 LSU v Wisconsin coming up at Lambeau, can't wait. Fournette is a beast, LSU is my team. Go Tigers!!

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
This atmosphere at Lambeau is hyped right now.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
My condolences snipes.

I'm starting to get into NCAA football as a long time NFL fan. I don't know who to cheer for. My frustration with NCAA is that you end up with games that are complete runaways. For example, if I was a Michigan Wolverines fan I would be watching a one sided 63-3 game. That's pretty lame. However, it's also hard to get into watching a bunch of games without any rooting interest.

So what's the deal? Do I just watch the big matchups week to week? I'm confused. :laugh:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
My condolences snipes.

I'm starting to get into NCAA football as a long time NFL fan. I don't know who to cheer for. My frustration with NCAA is that you end up with games that are complete runaways. For example, if I was a Michigan Wolverines fan I would be watching a one sided 63-3 game. That's pretty lame. However, it's also hard to get into watching a bunch of games without any rooting interest.

So what's the deal? Do I just watch the big matchups week to week? I'm confused. :laugh:

I was pissed. But that's college football my beloved LSU Tigers now are out of the playoff running after one week.

Michigan looks to be dominant. Just watch some teams and figure out who you like, Alabama/USC/Notre Dame/Florida State/Ohio State are all likeable teams and popular.

Maybe Stanford is a good option. That's my #2 team, they are awesome and have the extra academic requirements giving them a disadvantage. They play big boy smash mouth football.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Thanks for starting this thread, Snipes! I've been following NCAA football (serious observer) for about 15 years now. I rarely watch NFL since I got into the college game and find the NFL quite boring to be honest. I got into it by playing EA Sports NCAA football game in about 2003 or 2004. I created a player and blindly selected a team by closing my eyes and scrolling through the teams. I landed on the Oregon Ducks and started following them in real life since then, so I can say I'm not a bandwagon jumper when they were a top ranked team under Chip Kelly a few years back. I've also been a big fan of the Florida Gators too, I like the style of game the Pac-12 and SEC play. So if anyone is in Med Hat and sees some dude wearing an Oregon Ducks hoody or a ratty old Florida Gators hat it's me lol.

Fixed to Ruin...that is the one downside to NCAA, is you get Division II teams scheduled to play Division I teams and it's usually over sometime shortly after the coin toss. I'd hate to be the coaching staff or players on a Division II team playing a top 25 Division I team because you know you are being fed to the wolves. Sometimes you get a huge upset like when Appalachian State (Division II) beat the Michigan Wolverines in Michigan a few years back. The two divisions I mentioned above are pretty good, as is the Big 10 conference (Ohio State Buckeyes, Michigan, Michigan State Spartans, Nebraska Corrnhuskers, etc). I also follow the Notre Dame Fighting Irish but not as close as the other two I mentioned. If you are looking for a school to folllow, Alabama Crimson Tide have been the best team for probably the past three seasons. The LSU Tigers are right up there too. They're both pretty strong and play in the SEC (South Eastern Conference). The Clemson Tigers and Florida State Seminoles play in the ACC (Atlantic Coast Conference) and have been pretty good as of late too. Basically, unless your team is playing, watch teams in the top 25 play each other if you're looking to kill a Saturday afternoon or evening, especially if they're both ranked in the top 10.

I'm still confused by the ranking system, but basically if you are top 10 and lose to anyone above you, you might slide 2-3 spots. If you lose to a school that is below you 10 spots or unranked, you will drop 10 spots or so in the rankings, at least from what I observe anyways. If you're a top 5 ranked team, you're better off losing a game near the start of the season so you can recover for a chance at the playoff round for the national title. If you lose near the end of the season, with 1-3 games left, you're done and you'll be playing in one of the many many bowl games around Christmas through New Years.

I feel like I've rambled on, hopefully this helps a bit. If you like CFL football, I think you'll like NCAA-lots of passing and tomfoolery with trick plays lol.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Thanks for starting this thread, Snipes! I've been following NCAA football (serious observer) for about 15 years now.

I feel like I've rambled on, hopefully this helps a bit. If you like CFL football, I think you'll like NCAA-lots of passing and tomfoolery with trick plays lol.

No problem buddy, glad there are other fans out there! I've always loved NCAA football. Hopefully you're a regular in this thread, we've got another exciting year ahead of us. The drama is unmatched in NCAA football, every week matters.

Alabama is looking strong again. Playing USC tough 17-3 right now. Definitely agree, if you like the CFL, you will be an NCAA fan.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Thanks for the responses so far.

My bad though, I should have explained myself a little better. I'm not a complete noob to NCAA football. I watch many of the marquee matchups over the years. I know who the top programs are and all that stuff i just don't follow a particular team enough to start becoming a fan.

I tried following Auburn a few years ago since I like cheering against Alabama but I find it difficult to watch their games on TV week to week

Do you guys have a go-to channel to follow your favorite teams are you just picking up the games where you can find them (ie, ABC, NBC, TSN, CBS, ect)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Thanks for the responses so far.

My bad though, I should have explained myself a little better. I'm not a complete noob to NCAA football. I watch many of the marquee matchups over the years. I know who the top programs are and all that stuff i just don't follow a particular team enough to start becoming a fan.

I tried following Auburn a few years ago since I like cheering against Alabama but I find it difficult to watch their games on TV week to week

Do you guys have a go-to channel to follow your favorite teams are you just picking up the games where you can find them (ie, ABC, NBC, TSN, CBS, ect)

I personally like ABCs coverage the best, but I'll watch whatever is the best game on or flip back and forth between games.

Teams playing drives the channel I watch.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Bama rolled USC tonight 52-6. More of a blowout than expected.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
No problem buddy, glad there are other fans out there! I've always loved NCAA football. Hopefully you're a regular in this thread, we've got another exciting year ahead of us. The drama is unmatched in NCAA football, every week matters.

Alabama is looking strong again. Playing USC tough 17-3 right now. Definitely agree, if you like the CFL, you will be an NCAA fan.

This is my thought exactly, I enjoy watching NCAA football more than both the CFL and NFL.

If you ever get a chance to goto a NCAA game, you should check it out, such a surreal experience.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Oh for sure I'll be in this thread on Saturdays. I still follow college football closely, but I've resorted to mostly score board watching as my kids are 6 & 4 so they take up a lot of my attention on weekends. I'll PVR a Ducks or Gators game, which seem to be few and far between on tv up here and I try to watch some of the higher tiered bowl games or top ranked match ups through the regular season.

You got that right about the drama though, every week there is an upset. I see App. State just about knocked off #9 Tennessee on Thursday night as Tennessee needed OT to beat them. Some big upsets today already (sorry to hear about your Tigers) with Texas A&M beating #16 UCLA being another one not mentioned already. The Monday night game between FSU and Ole Miss should be a pretty good game.

When I am able to watch a game and it's not one of my teams playing, I also let the teams playing dictate what channel I watch. I can't stand Ohio State but love Urban Meyer...he has such a great mind for the college game and he just wins no matter where he goes. I could see them and 'Bama in the championship game this year. They have a pretty cake schedule until their last two games of the season against Michigan and Mich. State. This is where Michigan loses and slides out of playoff contention.

Just as a side note it's crazy how many successful Division I QBs that had tremendous college careers couldn't make the adjustment to the NFL and become successful starting QBs in the league. JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Tim Tebow, Matt Leinart, Mark Sanchez (I think he wasn't developed properly with the NYJ), Colton McCoy, just to name a few all had success at the college level. I have high hopes for Marcus Mariotta with the Titans, but time will only tell if he can translate his game to the pros. That happens in every sport, I just notice it more with college QBs is all.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
This is my thought exactly, I enjoy watching NCAA football more than both the CFL and NFL.

If you ever get a chance to goto a NCAA game, you should check it out, such a surreal experience.

I've been to a couple. Seen a game in the Rose Bowl, it was amazing.

Oregon has an awesome stadium too, definitely worth checking it out.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Oh for sure I'll be in this thread on Saturdays. I still follow college football closely, but I've resorted to mostly score board watching as my kids are 6 & 4 so they take up a lot of my attention on weekends. I'll PVR a Ducks or Gators game, which seem to be few and far between on tv up here and I try to watch some of the higher tiered bowl games or top ranked match ups through the regular season.

You got that right about the drama though, every week there is an upset. I see App. State just about knocked off #9 Tennessee on Thursday night as Tennessee needed OT to beat them. Some big upsets today already (sorry to hear about your Tigers) with Texas A&M beating #16 UCLA being another one not mentioned already. The Monday night game between FSU and Ole Miss should be a pretty good game.

When I am able to watch a game and it's not one of my teams playing, I also let the teams playing dictate what channel I watch. I can't stand Ohio State but love Urban Meyer...he has such a great mind for the college game and he just wins no matter where he goes. I could see them and 'Bama in the championship game this year. They have a pretty cake schedule until their last two games of the season against Michigan and Mich. State. This is where Michigan loses and slides out of playoff contention.

Just as a side note it's crazy how many successful Division I QBs that had tremendous college careers couldn't make the adjustment to the NFL and become successful starting QBs in the league. JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Tim Tebow, Matt Leinart, Mark Sanchez (I think he wasn't developed properly with the NYJ), Colton McCoy, just to name a few all had success at the college level. I have high hopes for Marcus Marietta with the Titans, but time will only tell if he can translate his game to the pros. That happens in every sport, I just notice it more with college QBs is all.

Funny how that works with the QBs. Going back further Oklahoma QB Jason White. Wins the Heisman, goes undrafted and could barely receive a tryout. Johnny Manziel another example. Mariota and Winston look to be fine and should be good NFL QBs for years to come.

My Tigers losing today is part of the excitement. Every week is unpredictable.

I just love the exuberance and energy at the college level. The passion is always there, seeing moments like small conference Boise State beat Oklahoma at the 2007 Fiesta Bowl in overtime on a crazy 2-point convert are moments you never forget.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Funny how that works with the QBs. Going back further Oklahoma QB Jason White. Wins the Heisman, goes undrafted and could barely receive a tryout. Johnny Manziel another example. Mariota and Winston look to be fine and should be good NFL QBs for years to come.

My Tigers losing today is part of the excitement. Every week is unpredictable.

I just love the exuberance and energy at the college level. The passion is always there, seeing moments like small conference Boise State beat Oklahoma at the 2007 Fiesta Bowl in overtime on a crazy 2-point convert are moments you never forget.

I think its because these are kids that are playing for college pride, and not big salaries. 2007 was a wild year. I cant believe its been almost 10 years since App. State beat #5 Michigan (I didnt realise App State joined the FBS in 2014), that awesome game between Boise and Oklahoma and the curb stomping the Gators gave Ohio State, when everyone was giving Florida the "thanks for coming out" participant ribbon leading up to that game. Boise-Oklahoma though....that OC for Boise put his balls on the table that game.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I think its because these are kids that are playing for college pride, and not big salaries. 2007 was a wild year. I cant believe its been almost 10 years since App. State beat #5 Michigan (I didnt realise App State joined the FBS in 2014), that awesome game between Boise and Oklahoma and the curb stomping the Gators gave Ohio State, when everyone was giving Florida the "thanks for coming out" participant ribbon leading up to that game. Boise-Oklahoma though....that OC for Boise put his balls on the table that game.

It's been that long? :amazed:

Double checked, yup 9 years ago. Time flies.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
As a non-fan I have a question that's bothered me. A friend is a Bama fan; he lives there. Why is Bama always so good? Is it because players want to play there?

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
As a non-fan I have a question that's bothered me. A friend is a Bama fan; he lives there. Why is Bama always so good? Is it because players want to play there?

Nick Saban is a damn good college football coach. They also have a strong recruitment program for 4 and 5 star high school prospects. Their winning tradition and successful program results in these players committing to Alabama. Unlike junior hockey where teams draft bantam players, the players get their say which school to attend and commit too (kind of like free agency-lol). They churn out a lot of future NFL'ers as well.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Nick Saban is a damn good college football coach. They also have a strong recruitment program for 4 and 5 star high school prospects. Their winning tradition and successful program results in these players committing to Alabama. Unlike junior hockey where teams draft bantam players, the players get their say which school to attend and commit too (kind of like free agency-lol). They churn out a lot of future NFL'ers as well.

bama has something like 20+ 5 star recruits in their 2-deep.... that is INSANE... it would be the equivalent of having nothing but top-5 draft picks for 80% of your hockey team

there are only about 25-30 recruits that get a 5 star ranking each year... bama pulls in about 5-6 of them each and every year.... so of the top 30 recruits in the country, they generally get about 1/5th of them.... seriously, stop and think about that for a second.... in a league with around 120 FBS schools, and about 15-25 that are considered "blue bloods" (depending on your criteria), bama pulls in about 20% of the best recruits... its crazy

i'm a huge michigan fan, and we are one of the most "blue blood" programs there is.... biggest stadium, most wins overall in history, crazy good academic school, 7th most national championships, churn out a lot of NFL players, etc etc etc.... we have it better than 90% of other football programs, maybe 95%.... although we do really good in recruiting, almost always in the top 10-15, we only get around 1-2 5 star recruits each year.... bama gets 2-3 TIMES as many as we do.... its beyond crazy

recruiting, recruiting is the reason they are so good

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I've been to a couple. Seen a game in the Rose Bowl, it was amazing.

Oregon has an awesome stadium too, definitely worth checking it out.

Thats pretty sweet! Was it an actual Rose Bowl game or a regale season game?

I'd love to see a game in Autzen Stadium and at Griffin Stadium in Florida someday. That's more bucket list stuff, like seeing a Cubs game in Wrigley some day too.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
bama has something like 20+ 5 star recruits in their 2-deep.... that is INSANE... it would be the equivalent of having nothing but top-5 draft picks for 80% of your hockey team

there are only about 25-30 recruits that get a 5 star ranking each year... bama pulls in about 5-6 of them each and every year.... so of the top 30 recruits in the country, they generally get about 1/5th of them.... seriously, stop and think about that for a second.... in a league with around 120 FBS schools, and about 15-25 that are considered "blue bloods" (depending on your criteria), bama pulls in about 20% of the best recruits... its crazy

i'm a huge michigan fan, and we are one of the most "blue blood" programs there is.... biggest stadium, most wins overall in history, crazy good academic school, 7th most national championships, churn out a lot of NFL players, etc etc etc.... we have it better than 90% of other football programs, maybe 95%.... although we do really good in recruiting, almost always in the top 10-15, we only get around 1-2 5 star recruits each year.... bama gets 2-3 TIMES as many as we do.... its beyond crazy

recruiting, recruiting is the reason they are so good

Thanks for the in-depth info. I knew Alabama had awesome recruiting but didn't realize they attracted that much of the small percentage of 5 star recruits.

Hopefully your boys in blue to beat Ohio State in November. I predicted OSU to beat them a few posts up, but that doesn't mean I'm cheering against Michigan. I'd like to see Michigan make the playoffs this year and they will climb a few spots this week with OU losing and if Ole Miss can take out FSU on Monday. That will be a HUGE game in November if both teams are undefeated at that point. That'll be one game I will try to watch or PVR.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Thats pretty sweet! Was it an actual Rose Bowl game or a regale season game?

I'd love to see a game in Autzen Stadium and at Griffin Stadium in Florida someday. That's more bucket list stuff, like seeing a Cubs game in Wrigley some day too.

It was a regular season game saw UCLA play, amazing atmosphere.

Exactly, I really want to check out a game in the Big House in Michigan and of course next up on my bucket list is Death Valley. Now I need to convince Mrs. snipes that going to Louisiana is a fun vacation :laugh:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The Notre Dame v Texas game going on right now is lit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad