NCAA capping bowl games(until 2019 anyway)

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I like the bowls, I don't know why, maybe it's nostalgia, but I do like them. But there definitely is at least 10-15 too many.

In the past 2 years alone they've added 7 new ones. That's asinine.
80 teams teams are going to bowls out what 120? Didn't a 5-7 and team play in a bowl this year? That should never happen. And there should be as little 6-6 teams as possible.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Good.

New eliminate about 25 of them.

Or better yet, institute an actual playoff system like the FCS.

People always complain its about money. I don't understand that argument. I've watched these bowls, some are poorly attended. I get that you'd have to find venues but it could be done. What they should do is use the BCS bowls for like the Quarterfinals. Maybe the first round games can be on site. I know that they will never wanna kill something like the Rose Bowl so including it is important.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Where in the bloody hell were the powers that be play a bowl game in Myrtle Beach? Coastal Carolina?

He'll why not have at Dolly wood while we're at it.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Didn't a 5-7 and team play in a bowl this year?

Three of them. Nebraska, Minnesota and San Jose State... and they all won!

Because of that fact, the NCAA will add more bowls after 2019 because 5-7 teams are undefeated in bowl games. :sarcasm:

I enjoy watching bowl games. It gives me a chance to see teams that I normally wouldn't watch. But yeah, there are way too many.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
BC wasn't winless, they had 3 on the season, they just went 0fer in the ACC.

You know, THAT's what they should do for these bottom tier bowls. Kansas vs UCF would have been one of the years must-watch games.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
At this point, they should add bowls for the worst of the worst teams, like a 0-10 team vs 0-11...as for all the bowl games, it's beyond the tipping point when over half the FBS makes it in, and sub-.500 teams are making it to them because some of them are big enough schools.

It dilutes the end product, and Shreveport, Boise, Mobile, etc, aren't on my hotspot travel destinations either. (well, actually I would go to Boise, just not for a bowl game).

Why not give the players "good sport, thanks for your participation!" trophies after each regular season game too?

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
BC wasn't winless, they had 3 on the season, they just went 0fer in the ACC.

You know, THAT's what they should do for these bottom tier bowls. Kansas vs UCF would have been one of the years must-watch games.

That's a new thought. Never thought about that idea. The prize for the winner has to be good though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad