NCAA Basketball - Offseason Thread

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Either he was pushed out or violations are coming.

He was pushed out, his recruiting classes we're getting worse and worse and couldn't keep the top talent in Ohio in state along with being out recruited by Xavier and Cincinnati.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ire-coach-chris-holtmann-away-butler-bulldogs

Chris Holtmann will leave Butler to become the next men's basketball coach at Ohio State, agreeing to an eight-year deal with the Buckeyes, sources confirmed to ESPN on Friday.

Holtmann, 45, will receive $3 million per season as the replacement for Thad Matta, sources told ESPN. The Columbus Dispatch first reported that Holtmann had accepted the position.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ire-coach-chris-holtmann-away-butler-bulldogs

Chris Holtmann will leave Butler to become the next men's basketball coach at Ohio State, agreeing to an eight-year deal with the Buckeyes, sources confirmed to ESPN on Friday.

Holtmann, 45, will receive $3 million per season as the replacement for Thad Matta, sources told ESPN. The Columbus Dispatch first reported that Holtmann had accepted the position.

Great hire

Sep 19, 2008
Pitino a good guy. Basically got similar to the Boeheim treatment. Most stunning punishment was NCAA telling Louisville to vacate their title which is kind of dumb. We all know they won the title.

https://sports.yahoo.com/louisville...unishment-prostitution-scandal-202121796.html

Tuesday, April 9, 2013, was a day of unbridled joy in this city – maybe collectively the happiest I’ve seen people in 30 years living here.

Red-and-black car flags were everywhere. Brand-new championship T-shirts covered puffed-out chests. Smiles spread across faces all around town. The communal giddiness was palpable.

The night before in Atlanta, Louisville basketball got back into the championship game and took it all. A fan base that for generations has lived and died with the Cardinals was on top of the world. They had won their third national title, 27 years after the last one, and many years after some people said it could never happen again at an urban school.

Thursday, four years and two months later, that fan base has been flattened by an unprecedented penalty handed down by the NCAA. The worst fear that sprang from the tawdry story Yahoo Sports broke in October 2015 has come to fruition.

For the first time, the NCAA has vacated a Division I men’s basketball national championship. Not yet officially, because the NCAA is such an obtuse, protocol-shackled organization that it is waiting for Louisville to send in the names of players who received impermissible benefits – stripper shows and sex acts paid for by former staffer Andre McGee, one of the most embarrassing scandals in a sport that routinely wallows in corruption.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
As a UK fan its some sweet irony that the Cards got slammed by the NCAA :laugh:

If it meant Carolina finally getting their comeuppance, I'd be fine letting Louisville walk on 1000 violations.

While strippers and sex are certainly more tawdry, blatant academic fraud must be punished if the NCAA intends to stick to their "student athlete model"

if they aren't going to punish UNC then screw it, let college hoops players who aren't interested in a degree just not bother going to class

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
If it meant Carolina finally getting their comeuppance, I'd be fine letting Louisville walk on 1000 violations.

While strippers and sex are certainly more tawdry, blatant academic fraud must be punished if the NCAA intends to stick to their "student athlete model"

if they aren't going to punish UNC then screw it, let college hoops players who aren't interested in a degree just not bother going to class

Yep. Hell the cult that's built around UNC basketball feels just as bad as the cult that was (and still is to a large extent) built around Ped State Football. You'd think a WVU guy like me would have someone like Pitt, Cuse, Georgetown, or the like as my most hated college basketball team. Nope, I hate the hypocrites in Chapel Hill that brag about doing things "the right way, the Carolina way" more then anyone else. ****, I have more respect for teams like UNLV or Michigan when they were blatantly cheating, because it least they weren't going around lying about it after the fact pretending they did nothing wrong and that it was all the fault of programs like Women's Tennis or some other ********.

Sep 19, 2008
Duke boy

I tell you this man I admire Coach K for adjusting. He was initially against One and Done but adopted the ways. Cal was the originator of one and done and these days in the NCAA you have to adapt to that rule or get left behind. Duke has always been a monster recruiting wise.

Sep 19, 2008
Rollie Massamino was a titan of basketball at Villanova and the old school Big East. Very sad to learn of his passing today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad