NBC Sports Philadelphia Lays Off 17 Employees

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Derrick Gunn chumming it up with Brandon Graham and reporting on the obvious was only going to keep around for so long.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Gunn seemed like a nice guy, but his chumminess with the players wore thin for a supposed journalist.

Barkann is a smart guy with quick wit. Never understood the dislike many have for him. Probably because he could be critical of non-approved whipping boys. I loved when he’d flip out after Eagles losses.

Reactions: tucson83

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Gunn seemed like a nice guy, but his chumminess with the players wore thin for a supposed journalist.

Barkann is a smart guy with quick wit. Never understood the dislike many have for him. Probably because he could be critical of non-approved whipping boys. I loved when he’d flip out after Eagles losses.

You really have taken this constant talking point to conspiracy-theory levels.

Reactions: kudymen

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
You really have taken this constant talking point to conspiracy-theory levels.
It’s no conspiracy theory to observe that fans bristle at anyone who criticizes hometown players who aren’t on the approved list of fan whipping boys.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
For me, the Barkann hate is centered around the fact that he comes off as really dumb on screen. He can be funny at times, but not enough to save face.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
No list exists. The cabal you're convinced exists does not.
Every single fanbase has a few consensus whipping boys. It’s as old as time. Similarly, every single fanbase is sensitive to criticism about its players who aren’t one of those whipping boys. These are eternal, universal truths.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Every single fanbase has a few consensus whipping boys. It’s as old as time. Similarly, every single fanbase is sensitive to criticism about its players who aren’t one of those whipping boys. These are eternal, universal truths.

So, in short, every team has bad players and defending those bad players as if they aren't bad is unpopular, and instead focusing on the players who are worthwhile and lashing them is unpopular? Because it's nakedly stupid?

How is that a problem? Most people think assigning credit and blame correctly is a good thing.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
So, in short, every team has bad players and defending those bad players as if they aren't bad is unpopular, and instead focusing on the players who are worthwhile and lashing them is unpopular? Because it's nakedly stupid?

How is that a problem? Most people think assigning credit and blame correctly is a good thing.

Fascist

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
Taryn has been doing the 10 min sports updates in the AM. It helps me get ...up... in the AM. Glad she is being kept in some role.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
No list exists. The cabal you're convinced exists does not.

Just trust him. It couldn't be deserved, it must be some kind of conspiracy. He has an eye for intelligence, after all.

53c50ea87c1d68430fddd5fe8dc0fedc.png

93314b5c8b3fcbf13fb6a81f553203c1.png

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Is Capn Dave happy or aggrieved

I'm almost always a little ... "solemn" I think is the most appropriate word, when people lose their jobs, especially in this industry. Beyond that, it doesn't really affect me. Nothing wrong with Taryn, but she's not a "goddess" or something. I wouldn't normally give a shit, but I am trying to raise standards. Tilting at windmills right now, but no one else is doing it, so I must.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I mean, look, im never going to be happy about people losing their jobs. Let's make that very clear.

But Barkann could have gone yesterday(year) and no one would have shed a tear.

Barkann can be annoying but I like the way he runs his post game shows. He gets into discussions with the people about the game that are authentic...Emmer just asks Therian rehearsed puff ball questions like "so and so made their way back into the line up today...what did you see from them?. There is literally no analysis of the game just talking points. I dont blame her for that... it is clearly the way they want it produced... but it is unwatchable. Even the post game interviews... they cut to them for like 40 seconds and then cut away and change the topic.

I look forward to Barkann and Ricky after a Phillies game... I don't even watch the Flyers post game show anymore.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Barkann can be annoying but I like the way he runs his post game shows. He gets into discussions with the people about the game that are authentic...Emmer just asks Therian rehearsed puff ball questions like "so and so made their way back into the line up today...what did you see from them?. There is literally no analysis of the game just talking points. I dont blame her for that... it is clearly the way they want it produced... but it is unwatchable. Even the post game interviews... they cut to them for like 40 seconds and then cut away and change the topic.

I look forward to Barkann and Ricky after a Phillies game... I don't even watch the Flyers post game show anymore.

Yeah, the post games are awful either way, I dont watch any of them because I dont need Therien or Morganti (though not anymore I guess) and their washed up Dino thoughts about a game.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm almost always a little ... "solemn" I think is the most appropriate word, when people lose their jobs, especially in this industry. Beyond that, it doesn't really affect me. Nothing wrong with Taryn, but she's not a "goddess" or something. I wouldn't normally give a shit, but I am trying to raise standards. Tilting at windmills right now, but no one else is doing it, so I must.

"This futile fight won't fight itself" is a noble mantra

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad