NBC Sports market research panel

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Anyone else get an email like this?

"The NHL would like to offer you the opportunity, exclusive for the top NHL fans, to become a member of an online consumer research panel called the NBC Sports Game Changers. Those who join will receive online surveys and have the chance to share their opinions on a variety of sports topics. By joining the panel, you will…

BE HEARD
By providing your opinions on a variety of sports-related topics, including programming

BE IN THE KNOW
By seeing how your feedback impacts real business decisions and how other sports fans answered

BE REWARDED
By receiving entry into quarterly drawings for Amazon.com gift cards"

Seems like general market research stuff. Any experience with it or is it new? I'm thinking about doing it but wondering if it's more fake-feedback designed just to get you to look at advertisements (by asking you if they FEEL like advertisments) like Facebook does.

/yeah, lame topic. It's summer waddayawant.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
eh, clicking through it now and it seems like typical market research and data collection so far. Maybe the hard-hitting questions will come later. Pumping up hockey and hoping there's a comments section to blast the NBC NHL crew.

Here's the link if you want to try and snake an amazon gift card:

https://www.nbcsportsgamechangers.com/R.aspx?a=354

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Got to take an NHL survey for the first time. Here's one of my replies:

Doc "DRIIIIIVE!" Emrick is annoying as hell. Enough with the shrieking. Pierre "Have Some Fun Out There" McGuire is a jock-sniffing Penguins homer who slobbers endlessly over any guy he thinks "gets it". I don't know if you get much feedback like this but I suspect you do because in all the hockey circles I frequent nobody likes these guys one bit. They frequently ruin entire telecasts. I know plenty of fans from many different fanbases who will mute the television or listen to the radio broadcast rather than put up with these boot-licking jersey salesmen.

I also took note of your question that asked "NBC Sports’ coverage of NHL features the game’s biggest stars and personalities." I'm sure your marketing staff and producers are of the same philosophy as ESPN in this regard, as evidenced by the constant blather from guys like Emrick and McGuire and the feature player focus in ads and in-game promos/shorts. I know you're going for the "casual" fan with this approach while assuming the diehard will watch his/her team anyway. Is it working? Is the NHL a top TV sport in America again, or still bringing up the rear? Probably not working as much as its annoying those who can be relied on most to consider tuning in.

On the plus side, keep the Rivalry Night. Nice idea, just get better talent. It makes me miss the nights of ESPN2 hockey all the time in the 90s, and the great crews they had. Well, better than Screamy and Sid's Creepy Bald Uncle, anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad