Kings Article: NBC Ignores the Kings

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/2/...gs-may-have-accused-the-red-wings-of-cheating

While "ignoring " isn't the word I would have chosen, I did laugh at the features for the same reason...

"First off, NBC chose to spend intermission with their usual segment devoted to hockey issues and highlights from the weekend in the studio, but also showed two feature stories on Red Wings players. It's kind of disappointing that the Kings, in their first NBC Game of the Week ever (regional broadcasts don't count) didn't get a feature treatment on any of their players (come on, Kopitar, Brown, Carter, Richards, Doughty, Quick... even Jordan Nolan is semi-interesting, anybody?).

In the meantime, the two pre-taped segments NBC did use were on... Henrik Zetterberg and Nick Lidstrom. Look, full respect to both players, but in the 30 or 40 times that the Red Wings have been on NBC in the past 7-8 years, I'm pretty sure I've seen a pre-recorded segment with him before.

Also, I have to question the necessity of the Lidstrom segment right there. Sure, you could say it was appropriate since it was the first time Detroit had been on national television this season. But, NBC Sports Network is televising the Red Wings game on Wednesday with a one-hour pre-game show beforehand. I think it would've been better served there."

Of course, when the team you're televising nationally has only had a lead after 1 period in 1 of their last 11 games, I'd probably be "ignoring" them too.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I can't recall how the Kings 2nd goal was called, but go back and listen to the calls on the three goals in the 1st period. Pay attention to the level of excitement in Emrick's call for the Detroit goals as opposed to the Kopitar goal. What a joke....

Ron*

I can't recall how the Kings 2nd goal was called, but go back and listen to the calls on the three goals in the 1st period. Pay attention to the level of excitement in Emrick's call for the Detroit goals as opposed to the Kopitar goal. What a joke....

He's ok. He called the King goals in game 6 with legitimate excitement.

xavi4life

Mr. Irreverent
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles
Why all the butt hurt? Why the need to be validated? That's part of the charm of being a Kings fan IMO. Just because they won a cup shouldn't take that away. Besides, Zetterberg and Detroit have years of being in the elite. The Kings, not so much.

SLang

Nov 29, 2005
Huntington Beach, CA
Why all the butt hurt? Why the need to be validated? That's part of the charm of being a Kings fan IMO. Just because they won a cup shouldn't take that away. Besides, Zetterberg and Detroit have years of being in the elite. The Kings, not so much.

Great point. I embrace it as well. Was laughing when the pre game interview was Zetterberg and the mid-period coach interview was Babcock. I mean, come on, at least mix it up a little.

West coast hockey will allways be the red-headed stepchild. Accept it or forever live a life of hockey-inferiority-complex.

The best revenge was taking their Cup. Let's hope we get out of this current funk and take a few more.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Great point. I embrace it as well. Was laughing when the pre game interview was Zetterberg and the mid-period coach interview was Babcock. I mean, come on, at least mix it up a little.

West coast hockey will allways be the red-headed stepchild. Accept it or forever live a life of hockey-inferiority-complex.

The best revenge was taking their Cup. Let's hope we get out of this current funk and take a few more.

Yeah, I'm thinking just be happy the Kings forced themselves into a regular season national game, on the main network. To break through the Big 7(Philly, NYR, Pittsburgh, Washington, Boston, Detroit, Chicago) is sort of amazing.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Pay attention to the level of excitement in Emrick's call for the Detroit goals as opposed to the Kopitar goal. What a joke....

Emrick generally reserves enthusiasm for the home team. He tries to get his calls to mirror the levels of the crowd.

SCARFACE909

Feb 20, 2012

I don't see your point, they interviewed Sutter as well..... And they always interview the home player, did same thing with kings in playoffs etc.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
They're not the team they wanted to win the cup. Why would they change their attitude and approach now?

Kings are a misfit team. An old misfit team, but still a misfit team. They're not Original 6, they're not east coast, and they're not based in Canada.

I'm fine with it. Charm of being a Kings fan is essentially to be forever underestimated.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, I'm thinking just be happy the Kings forced themselves into a regular season national game, on the main network. To break through the Big 7(Philly, NYR, Pittsburgh, Washington, Boston, Detroit, Chicago) is sort of amazing.

Completely agree. 1st time ever is a big deal, and it's happening again next weekend.

Aug 6, 2012
I wouldn't worry much about it. Being a Wings fan, I notice a lot of stuff like this. The Wings have like 20-or-so nationally televised games this year.

The reason they put so much attention towards the Wings is because of the large fan base and the tradition. Not to mention its a very interesting year being without Lidstrom for the first time.

Its just the way it is.

King RAZZ

Los Cucarachas
Apr 26, 2007
The Roach Motel
razzilla.multiply.com
How many times have the Kings won a regular season broadcast on NBC??? I think I can only count those wins on one hand and have at least three or four fingers left over...

I believe the same thing went to any Kings broadcast that didn't start after 4PM...at least over the last ten years...

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
They're not the team they wanted to win the cup. Why would they change their attitude and approach now?

Kings are a misfit team. An old misfit team, but still a misfit team. They're not Original 6, they're not east coast, and they're not based in Canada.

I'm fine with it. Charm of being a Kings fan is essentially to be forever underestimated.

Yeah, I don't want the attention. Would rather stay underrated. Besides, when the media starts to focus on teams/players, they are more likely to choke.

Besides, the way our guys are playing, they don't need to be pointed at more for their losses. It will just lead to more nervous brand of hockey (Randy Jones style).

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
I wish the Kings were NEVER shown on NBC, NBC SP, NHL Network or played afternoon games. I'd rather watch FSW/Prime, other teams RSNs or the Canadian networks. As an east coast, non-hockey market Kings fan, being near the bottom of the sports coverage pecking order is a permanent way of life. I'm sure few people would agree with such an extreme attitude, but I'd rather be completely ignored by the mainstream and instead have an alternative that caters to hockey fans.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I could care less, what those idiots think.

They have the worst broadcasting crew anyway, why would anyone want to hear those idiots talk about hockey.

Give me Jim and Bob for 82 games + playoff's any day.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
I could care less, what those idiots think.

They have the worst broadcasting crew anyway, why would anyone want to hear those idiots talk about hockey.

Give me Jim and Bob for 82 games + playoff's any day.

I'd definitely vote for Bob and Jim all season. At least tonight, the Blues broadcast isn't bad, but generally I don't enjoy the other teams' broadcasts nor do I like the national Canadian broadcasts.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity

Ed Olyczk actually said "hockey luck" on A Mart's game tying goal...

I had to rewind the DVR to hear it again to hear if he actually said it.

:deadhorse

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I like the anonymity, for the most part. It allows for much crow to be eaten.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad