NBC announces coverage details for the US

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

NBC Sports has announced details for its commentary and production plans ahead of the NHL’s Return to Play this week, leading into the 2020 Stanley Cup Qualifiers that begin on Saturday, August 1, with five games across NBC and NBCSN.

NBC Sports’ game commentary and studio teams will feature a combination of nearly 20 on-air announcers providing coverage from the NHL hub cities of Toronto and Edmonton, as well as remote locations, including NBC Sports’ International Broadcast Center in Stamford, Conn. NBC Sports will provide the world feed production from Toronto.

In addition, coverage throughout the Qualifiers and Playoffs will feature enhanced natural sounds from ice level, as well as additional camera angles to enhance the viewing experience.

Seven-time Emmy Award-winner Mike ‘Doc’ Emrick headlines NBC Sports’ roster of play-by-play commentators for the Stanley Cup Qualifiers and Playoffs, along with Mike Tirico, John Forslund, Kenny Albert, Brendan Burke, and Gord Miller.

Eddie Olczyk, Mike Milbury, and AJ Mleczko will serve as game analysts, while Pierre McGuire and Brian Boucher will provide insights from their customary ‘Inside-the-Glass’ roles.

Liam McHugh, Kathryn Tappen and Tirico will anchor NBC Sports’ studio coverage alongside Patrick Sharp, Keith Jones, and Anson Carter. Olczyk, Jones and Carter will contribute to both studio and game coverage.

Forslund, Milbury and Boucher will be on-site in Toronto, while McGuire will be based in Edmonton.

Emrick will provide commentary from a home studio in Michigan. All other game and studio commentary will originate from NBC Sports’ studios in Stamford, Conn.

ENHANCED AUDIO ELEMENTS AND CAMERA ANGLES

NBC Sports’ coverage of the NHL’ Return to Play will feature enhanced audio elements and camera angles to provide the best viewing experience for fans at home. Natural sounds of the game, from the stopping of skates to slap shots and collisions into the boards, will be more pronounced and audible for fans throughout NBC Sports’ game broadcasts. In addition, broadcasts will feature artificial crowd noise supplied by EA Sports.

NBC Sports will also utilize additional camera angles to provide viewers with different perspectives and replays of the action. All of the action on the ice will be surrounded by a made-for-TV set designed by the NHL, utilizing videoboards with replays and graphics to enhance the viewing experience for fans at home.​

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
Edmonton games gets Pierre McGuire between the benches for their games But Toronto gets Mike Milbury

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Any word on if Sportsnet is doing piped in EA crowd noise? I f***ing can't stand it, sounds ridiculous in MLB games and EA is also terrible at everything they do.

RIP people who have to listen to Pierre "can I get in just a little closer" McGuire.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Any word on if Sportsnet is doing piped in EA crowd noise? I f***ing can't stand it, sounds ridiculous in MLB games and EA is also terrible at everything they do.

RIP people who have to listen to Pierre "can I get in just a little closer" McGuire.
They need to do it or else you'd hear everything the players were saying which would obviously not be suitable for TV

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
They need to do it or else you'd hear everything the players were saying which would obviously not be suitable for TV

My friend was saying that they were showing it with a 5 second delay to mitigate the language, which I'll take, but piped in crowd noise is stupid.

They need to have a 18+ channel where we can watch the games uncut with full hard language.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
My friend was saying that they were showing it with a 5 second delay to mitigate the language, which I'll take, but piped in crowd noise is stupid.

They need to have a 18+ channel where we can watch the games uncut with full hard language.

The problem with the delay is back to back to back (etc) cursing.

HBO needs to get involved.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
TRANSCRIPT - 2020 STANLEY CUP QUALIFIERS - NBC Sports Pressbox

NBC's producer answers questions

SAM FLOOD:
We are very excited about this opportunity to cover one of the greatest spectacles in sports, the Stanley Cup Playoffs, and this unique way and the wonderful plan that Gary Bettman and the NHL have put together to allow this season to continue.
The effort that they have put into creating the two bubble cities and creating an opportunity for the season to come to its rightful conclusion with the raising of the Stanley Cup, big tip of the cap to Gary and Bill Daly and the rest of the league leadership. They have done a wonderful job.

Our job now is to tell this great story and to let the world know how much fun it’s going to be to have these teams battling it out inside these buildings.

And with the two locations in Toronto and Edmonton, I will just give you a quick overview of how we are doing this. For the first time ever, there will be a host feed from each building, so in Edmonton, Rogers will produce the host feed that other broadcasters, particularly through the first round, will lay their own commentary on top of.

And in Toronto, we’ve got some NBC producers and directors who will be producing the host feed from there, and back in our Stamford building, we will be adding commentary, graphics and unique elements that make it an NBC show. So we will be doing that to both the feed coming out of Toronto and the host feed coming out of Edmonton.

And then in terms of our announcers, we’ve got them spread around. We have got talent on site in Toronto, Pierre McGuire is about to arrive in Edmonton. Doc Emrick has got the best studio ever created outside Detroit. We can’t tell you the exact location; that remains secret. Stamford will have the core of our group, play-by-play and game analysts which will be calling some of the early games from there.

Eventually the majority of the calls will come from inside the buildings. We will have a complete broadcast team in Toronto. We’ve got Gord Miller there. John Forslund is on site there. Mike Milbury is traveling in, and he will be on site in Toronto inside the bubble, as will Brian Boucher, and Brian will be inside the glass for a number of games.

We consider it similar to an Olympic experience; that you’re all-in. This is a little bit longer than the 17 or 16 days of an Olympics, but the talent group and the production team is ready for an incredible job experience.

Once the second round of the playoffs ends and the entire event moves to Edmonton for the conference finals and finals, we will park a truck from NBC Sports next to the Rogers host feed and supplement that coverage and originate the entire telecast from out of Rogers Place out there in Edmonton.

I know everyone is going to ask about audio, so I’ll get ahead of that. The audio, we will be experimenting as we progress. We think there is incredible sound inside the glass around the boards of a hockey rink. We think there’s some colorful language, so the NHL has decided to rightfully put the games on a five-second delay.

But we will be taking advantage of all that incredible audio that comes with hockey; and probably have learned an awful lot watching the Stadium Series and Winter Classic Games with the ice surface isolated from the fans. We realize there’s some unique audio we can play with during that, and that gives us a good test of what we can get out of these games.

So the enhanced audio from inside the glass can be supplemented by some audio EA SPORTS has that we will mix in as needed. But we are going to really test and find out what the best balance is and what the best experience is for the viewers as we evolve through this.

Visually, we have got a lot of cameras in these host feeds. There will be up to 30 cameras including a really cool JitaCam that hangs beneath the scoreboard at center ice and gives you a 360-degree view. It can swoop in behind the power play, and there’s nothing better than to look at that top of the point position of the power position, and looking in at the goalie, trying to figure out where the puck is going to go in the net. We think that it will be a unique way to look at certain part of the game, and it will also be a fun camera to use in transition.

So our directors are excited to have that opportunity to execute with this JitaCam; that along with the audio, and along with what Steve Mayer and the NHL group has done to turn these hockey arenas, which are usually filled with 18- to 20,000 screaming, lunatic passionate hockey fans, they have created a set and a content and a structure that’s going to have a feel for each team that’s playing in the game.

The audio in terms of PA and in terms of music on goals, the celebrations, will make you feel like you’re in the building of a home team that’s just scored. So hats off to Steve and his team for making the buildings look remarkable.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

It's not the cursing they're worried about, it's the cancel culture

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

I don't know about that. The world today loves to create scandals. If you hear the players unscripted itll create a nightmare of a distraction imo.

Crosby goes "f you loser you suck!" In a shuffle.

Next day - articles all over "wow Crosby should lead by example, lost a lot of class, he should be ashamed etc".

And f you is probably some of the nicer language they use at times.

Will be fascinating to see

Reactions: VanillaCoke

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Ive been yearning for an uncensored feed for years, but the reality is some people would get their pant(ies) full of sand at the first instance a player says something slanderous.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
EA does a great job authenticating crowd noice, unique chants etc.

tenor.gif

EA is trash, nothing they do is great.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
DateCoverageNetworkTime (ET)Commentators
Sat., August 1Game 1 – N.Y. Rangers vs. CarolinaNBCSN12 p.m.John Forslund, Mike Milbury, Brian Boucher
Game 1 – Chicago vs. EdmontonNBC3 p.m.Mike ‘Doc’ Emrick, Eddie Olczyk, Pierre McGuire
Game 1 – Florida vs. N.Y. IslandersNBCSN4 p.m.Gord Miller, AJ Mleczko
Game 1 – Montreal vs. PittsburghNBC8 p.m.John Forslund, Mike Milbury, Brian Boucher
Game 1 – Winnipeg vs. CalgaryNBCSN10:30 p.m.Kenny Albert, Pierre McGuire
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Sun., August 2Game 1 – Arizona vs. NashvilleUSA Network2 p.m.Kenny Albert, Pierre McGuire
Round Robin – Philadelphia vs. BostonNBC3 p.m.John Forslund, Mike Milbury, Brian Boucher
Round Robin – St. Louis vs. ColoradoNBCSN6:30 p.m.Kenny Albert, Eddie
Olczyk, Pierre McGuire
Game 1 – Columbus vs. TorontoNBCSN9 p.m.Jim Hughson, Craig Simpson
Game 1 – Minnesota vs. VancouverNBCSN10:30 p.m.Brendan Burke, AJ
Mleczko, Pierre McGuire
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
STAMFORD, Conn. – July 31, 2020 – NBC Sports will celebrate the NHL’s return to play tomorrow by giving one lucky fan a chance to get their very own visit with the Stanley Cup through its “Drop the Puck” contest.

At a set outside NBC Sports headquarters in Stamford, Conn., a 600-pound block of ice is set to melt in the summer heat with a larger-than-life NHL puck set inside. Whichever lucky fan goes to NBCSports.com/DropThePuck and is the first to guess the exact time it takes for the puck to drop out of the ice wins their very own personal visit with the Stanley Cup. Fans can begin guessing now.

Starting tomorrow, the ice block will be set to melt with an official clock and a livestream hosted on the website. “Drop the Puck” updates will also be integrated within the TV coverage of the Stanley Cup Qualifiers on NBC and NBCSN.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
Who is aj mleczko I am not familiar with this person?

Like him or not pierre mcguire is work horse. I cant imagine a commenter doing 3 nhl games especially with the chance of 2 of them going multiple overtimes. Its nice to see 1 of the games gets Canadian broadcasters whether you are or are not a hughson fan (im neutral on him myself)

It is also a plus to get forslund twice on day one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad