NBC annouces first weekend of playoff schedule

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
I assume this will be similar to last year, with games most weekends that don't interfere with prior commitments like the Preakness.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I assume this will be similar to last year, with games most weekends that don't interfere with prior commitments like the Preakness.

Preakness, Derby coverage starts ~5pm ET.

What they'll probably do is do the full 3 hours or so on NBC and then go over to Versus (at the 4th intermission) if there's a second period of overtime.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
They do, but they actually... you know... pay the NHL real money.

haha I like that. and I agree.

But they're trying to grow the game and doing whatever they can to make that happen....and if that makes it like they're treating other fans as 2nd class citizens...oh well.

Just be thankful that NBC doesn't like showing Canadian teams and if I was CBC/TSN/RDS/CTV/Sportsnet or any of the large Canadian media I would tell Bettman that under no circumstances are any Canadian teams home games to be played in the afternoon.

What's good for NBC should be good for others as well.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They do, but they actually... you know... pay the NHL real money.

They're the ones who are in agreements to bend over for NBC.

And hockey should be played when people want to watch it. Who cares if it's in the afternoon? It doesn't not make it hockey. Just like it doesn't not make it hockey because the calendar says June.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
They're the ones who are in agreements to bend over for NBC.

And hockey should be played when people want to watch it. Who cares if it's in the afternoon? It doesn't not make it hockey. Just like it doesn't not make it hockey because the calendar says June.

Never heard that any Canadian media agree to be "bent over" for NBC

You're right. Hockey should be played when people want to watch it.

So if some want to watch it in the afternoon, let their teams play in the afternoon.

If some prefer at night, then allow those teams to play at night.

Doesn't Gary say we're here for the fans....I guess just certain fans are important for Gary.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I'd rather watch in the evening. Funny how Bettman thinks he'll get a big U S tv deal. When the network doesn't believe playoff games are primetime worthy.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I'd rather watch in the evening. Funny how Bettman thinks he'll get a big U S tv deal. When the network doesn't believe playoff games are primetime worthy.

Yeah, Hockey Night in Canada just doesn't seem right at 1pm.:laugh:

here's hoping all afternoon games go to 3 or 4 OT periods just to screw up NBC

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
You all are acting like there won't be 7pm and 10pm games that night.

And don't worry, I'm sure the Leaf playoff gam ... :laugh:, sorry, I couldn't finish that sentence with a straight face.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
A few years ago their was maybe the odd afternoon playoff game and now every weekend there is one. My question is what is with the NBC and the NHL obsession with playing afternoon games?

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
A few years ago their was maybe the odd afternoon playoff game and now every weekend there is one. My question is what is with the NBC and the NHL obsession with playing afternoon games?
Allows kids to see the whole game.

It's sort of funny, because baseball fans ***** about the playoffs the exact OPPOSITE way ... that TV doesn't put the weekend WS games in the afternoon.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Allows kids to see the whole game.

It's sort of funny, because baseball fans ***** about the playoffs the exact OPPOSITE way ... that TV doesn't put the weekend WS games in the afternoon.

Well, baseball is a traditional daytime sport, hockey fans have grown up with Hockey Night In Canada and 90% of games in general being 7 pm starts. People generally prefer to stick with what they are used to.

And let's be honest, there is something special and unique to sitting there at 1 am watching 3rd overtime.

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
Well, baseball is a traditional daytime sport, hockey fans have grown up with Hockey Night In Canada and 90% of games in general being 7 pm starts. People generally prefer to stick with what they are used to.

And let's be honest, there is something special and unique to sitting there at 1 am watching 3rd overtime.
No doubt. I'm always kind of sad for OT games that end in the first 30 minutes or so (if it's not a Philly goal.)

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
The NBA has game 7's on during the day for them to be on ABC. It isn't something unique to hockey.

The NBC timeslots are set months in advance. CBC and TSN aren't timeslot based, they are series based. Thus NBC ends up getting priority.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Doesn't Gary say we're here for the fans....I guess just certain fans are important for Gary.

If one honestly believes Gary is in it for the fans, my next question would be about whether or not they still leave cookies out for Santa Claus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad