NBA in Vancouver, could we see another Canadian franchise being feasible?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Man, so you really don't know the first thing about Montreal. Why even post then?

You absolutely do not need to speak French to live in Montreal. That's absurd. There's a lot of locals who never learn it either.

I know.

But fair or not the dual language thing is going to be used as a deterrent for players. Also, is the QC media going to be OK with players, coaches, GMs etc not speaking French?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I know.

But fair or not the dual language thing is going to be used as a deterrent for players. Also, is the QC media going to be OK with players, coaches, GMs etc not speaking French?

Yeah, just like they were for the Habs, Expos, CF Montreal and CFL, etc. etc. What in the world are you on about? Also, the league is getting more European than ever.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Man, so you really don't know the first thing about Montreal. Why even post then?

You absolutely do not need to speak French to live in Montreal. That's absurd. There's a lot of locals who never learn it either.
All the rich neighborhoods are mostly English and no NBA player will live in the East End :laugh:

I agree that it should not be an issue. Not being in the USA and climate are bigger issues.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
All the rich neighborhoods are mostly English and no NBA player will live in the East End :laugh:

I agree that it should not be an issue. Not being in the USA and climate are bigger issues.

I live in Plateau Mont-Royal (which seems to have more people from France than Quebecois at this point and they're worse speakers of English than the Quebecois) married to a woman from London, ON who's been living here for 10 years and whose french is limited. Granted, the borough is a massive tourist attraction but she gets by perfectly. I work for an American tech company that has English locals who grew up here and can barely string five words in French. If it's not an issue for them, it's not going to be an issue for a millionaire athlete playing/living downtown. It's just not a thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scandale du Jour

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's going to be Seattle and Vegas as the next two expansion teams. Im sure Seattle will be the SuperSonics and they will keep their history and the Thunder would have only have started in 2008.
Given the price tag of recent sales an expansion price tag is going to run close to $4 billion USD. Not sure who would be the owner for another Canadian market. Charlotte for $3 bill, Milwaukee for $3.5 bill and Phoenix for $4 bill are your 3 most recent sales within the past 2 years.

Reactions: Voight

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
T
Culture, language are the two big ones. Montreal is technically bilingual yes but I dont see guys wanting to communicate in two different languages nor have their wives & kids dealing with that. I dont think any of them care enough to learn French either.

Toronto and to an extent Vancouver are Americanized in a way which really helps when retaining players. Out of all cities in Canada, they are the most "American" in some ways which is key when most of the leagues players come from the US. Its still an adjustment when guys nice to Toronto but its less of a adjustment compared to other Canadian cities.
Toronto is the biggest American city in Canada.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
A hypothetical Vancouver franchise would do better today business wise and fan support but the price tag just too much I think.... even the Toronto market in the past wasn't a sure thing but they owned by Rogers/Bell

Plus being a small market you'd have to be able to constantly build through the draft because free agents just won't come... look at Toronto 5th largest city in North America and players still brush them off.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
A hypothetical Vancouver franchise would do better today business wise and fan support but the price tag just too much I think.... even the Toronto market in the past wasn't a sure thing but they owned by Rogers/Bell

Plus being a small market you'd have to be able to constantly build through the draft because free agents just won't come... look at Toronto 5th largest city in North America and players still brush them off.

Rogers/Bell have only owned for the Raptors for a decade. Raps were doing fine before then. Yes, the years under the OTPP helped tremendously because the Leafs make so much money they could cover any losses the Raps had but having Vince Carter is arguably the main reason why they succeeded.

John Bitove, the founder of team, has said as much himself.

Reactions: torontoblood

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Rogers/Bell have only owned for the Raptors for a decade. Raps were doing fine before then. Yes, the years under the OTPP helped tremendously because the Leafs make so much money they could cover any losses the Raps had but having Vince Carter is arguably the main reason why they succeeded.

John Bitove, the founder of team, has said as much himself.

Oh yeah, Raps were doing fine before Bell/Rogers but there were a few years where fan support did fall after Vince and I believe they were middle pack of attendance.

Fun little what if had Vince been drafted by Vancouver instead he would eventually force his way out but Grizzles probably survive in Vancouver with the recovered Loonie.

It too bad for Canada as I just can't see any other sports franchises coming.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Just look at the recent 3 sales. Suns $4 bill, Bucks $3.5 bill, Hornets $3 bill. All USD. The Aquillinis own Rogers Arena. Thus barring someone else being ok with a Celtics/Bruins & Sixers/Flyers arrangement of just being a tenant, that's just too much money for the Aquillinis. The explosion in valuation over the past 7/8 years has been insane. Suns sold for double what Clippers did and what the Rockets did like 2 years after the Clippers.

And now the Sixers are looking to build their own arena after 30 years of being a tenant to the Flyers. And land in Vancouver is insanely expensive. No clue where someone would build another arena.

Only chance of it ever happening is for the Aquillinis to sell the Canucks to someone much wealthier to pay the price tag.

Reactions: torontoblood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad