NBA Hints at Future Expansion

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
I'm quite optimistic of the NBA returning to Vancouver.

Even when they were the worst team of all time they were still averaging 14k to a game (compared to the Clippers 10k at the same time), the citys population is larger today by around 700,000, and it has a massive Asian population which the league has wanted to branch out to.

Also, and I could be wrong, but the way the articles have been written it sounds like while Montreal has been going to the NBA with interest, it's the NBA (Silver specifically) that has been going to Vancouver.

Interesting note, in an interview a few years back Adam Silver stated that he has family in Vancouver.

The only real concern is that while players seem more willing to play in Canada, it still may be a tough obstacle.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm quite optimistic of the NBA returning to Vancouver.

Even when they were the worst team of all time they were still averaging 14k to a game (compared to the Clippers 10k at the same time), the citys population is larger today by around 700,000, and it has a massive Asian population which the league has wanted to branch out to.

Also, and I could be wrong, but the way the articles have been written it sounds like while Montreal has been going to the NBA with interest, it's the NBA (Silver specifically) that has been going to Vancouver.

Interesting note, in an interview a few years back Adam Silver stated that he has family in Vancouver.

The only real concern is that while players seem more willing to play in Canada, it still may be a tough obstacle.
I think it will happen eventually, just not immediately. Vancouver may not be the biggest market, but they are a city in high global standing.

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think it will happen eventually, just not immediately. Vancouver may not be the biggest market, but they are a city in high global standing.
But absolutely requires a much wealthier owner than Aquilini. I don’t think they could pay the current $4 billion expected price. I’m using the valuation of the Suns sale as the benchmark that LV and Sea are likely to pay.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
But absolutely requires a much wealthier owner than Aquilini. I don’t think they could pay the current $4 billion expected price. I’m using the valuation of the Suns sale as the benchmark that LV and Sea are likely to pay.
Billionaires want to own teams. They will get there.

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
I think there's a certain sentiment within the NBA that they gave up on the Grizzlies in Vancouver too quickly. I remember reading that David Stern expressed that sentiment when looking back on his tenure. If they are thinking along the lines of having a two rounds of expansion and getting to 34 teams sooner than later, I could see Vancouver being one of those teams. But not until after Seattle and Vegas. They know that the Sonics were not handled in good faith and that needs to be rectified. The arena is (outside the roof) brand new and well within standards, so there is zero excuse. And they know it. If expansion does not include a rebirth of the Seattle SuperSonics, then the league will be destroyed in the court of public opinion.

And all the leagues want Vegas. There's just too much money there. And the NBA is likely a good fit. The only real concern there is if anyone will be left in the area in 20 years if and when they run out of water.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I can see a Steve Nash/Ryan Reynolds collaboration
Nash and Reynolds only so much net worth. Minority owners. Going to be a while anyways since Sea and LV are at the top. It would have to be a relocation if it’s returning before 2030. Don’t think the nba expands past 32 that quickly.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Steve Francis really f***ed over the NBA in Vancouver. They very well may have eventually moved but he could have been the star they needed.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
The purchase price for Wrexham was $2.5 million. I suspect a Ryan Reynolds involvement in any team in the big 5 in North America is a 1% investment.

LeBron James has more scratch and wants Vegas. I wouldn’t do Vegas- and I’d love a more sane NBA Northwest Division- but the tea leaves aren’t a hard read.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Steve Francis really f***ed over the NBA in Vancouver. They very well may have eventually moved but he could have been the star they needed.
Francis wasn’t even much of a star, while he f***ed them, he would’ve underdelivered that expectation. He was washed after like 6 years.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
For Vancouver to get another NBA team, they would require an Owner much wealthier than the Aquillinis. Vancouver has expensive and limited land, so I don't see the city greenlighting land to be zoned for another arena. Only need 1 in the downtown area.

The going rate for an NBA team now is likely going to be $4 billion for LV and Seattle based on the sale of the Suns and Bucks and Hornets. Each was a difference of $500 mill with the Suns at $4 bill down to the Hornets which is rated a bottom 2-3 valued team at $3 billion.

If the NBA is thinking Montreal, is that price something that the Molson family can pay?

No chance. They are worth less than $2bn (about $1.8bn Canadian), with a lot of that tied into their ownership of the Habs.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
I think urban Vancouver is ripe to support an NBA team. Lots of new money, northern tech hub, culturally forward people etc. And basketball is HUGE with the Asian population (of which there is a very significant amount, especially in Richmond etc--go to any rec centre and you'll see full courts of primarily Asian-descent kids playing).

Doesn't mean it will happen though, at least not for a while.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think urban Vancouver is ripe to support an NBA team. Lots of new money, northern tech hub, culturally forward people etc. And basketball is HUGE with the Asian population (of which there is a very significant amount, especially in Richmond etc--go to any rec centre and you'll see full courts of primarily Asian-descent kids playing).

Doesn't mean it will happen though, at least not for a while.
In the end, will come down to the owner. Aquillinis don't have the money to pay the price tag. Either need a big time partner or they sell the arena/Canucks to someone with the deep pockets to do it.

Timeline will be a while.

As for getting players to play in Canada, there is a much more international flavor to the NBA now. Europeans, not much issue in playing in Canada. Even in the USA, you don't have that rough tough in the paint style that was the norm of the 90's. Now, much more a shooting game. Different type of player is succeeding in the NBA these days. Think that helps a Canadian market.

Reactions: many76

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Sonics leaving Seattle was a near carbon copy of the Grizzlies leaving Vancouver. Both cities should still have NBA but will be a tougher to get the NBA back to Vancouver as outlined by many posts with respect to expansion fees and Canadian dollar.

Lest we forget the "wonderful" 1st round picks by the Vancouver Grizzlies. Historically the worst team ever in a 6 year span it existed. The NBA also restricted the Grizzlies from picking #1 overall.
1995 - #6 Bryant Reeves, - the face of mediocrity the franchise will live by
1996 - #3 Shareef Abdur-Raheem - probably the best draft pick but not Ray Allen, Kobe Bryant or local legend Steve Nash
1997 - #4 Antonio Daniels - shitty draft overall, could have been Tracy McGrady.
1998 - #2 Mike Bibby - decent pick but could have been Vince Carter, Dirk Nowitzki or Paul Pierce.
1999 - #2 Steve Francis - franchise altering pick where Francis said he would not play in Vancouver and didnt. Resulting trade was not great for Vancouver. Could have had Baron Davis, Wally Szerbiak, Richard Hamilton,Shawn Marion or Ron Artest.
2000 - #2 Stromile Swift - another shitty draft and shitty player for the last 1st rounder for Vancouver.

Reactions: mouser

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sonics leaving Seattle was a near carbon copy of the Grizzlies leaving Vancouver. Both cities should still have NBA but will be a tougher to get the NBA back to Vancouver as outlined by many posts with respect to expansion fees and Canadian dollar.

Lest we forget the "wonderful" 1st round picks by the Vancouver Grizzlies. Historically the worst team ever in a 6 year span it existed. The NBA also restricted the Grizzlies from picking #1 overall.
1995 - #6 Bryant Reeves, - the face of mediocrity the franchise will live by
1996 - #3 Shareef Abdur-Raheem - probably the best draft pick but not Ray Allen, Kobe Bryant or local legend Steve Nash
1997 - #4 Antonio Daniels - shitty draft overall, could have been Tracy McGrady.
1998 - #2 Mike Bibby - decent pick but could have been Vince Carter, Dirk Nowitzki or Paul Pierce.
1999 - #2 Steve Francis - franchise altering pick where Francis said he would not play in Vancouver and didnt. Resulting trade was not great for Vancouver. Could have had Baron Davis, Wally Szerbiak, Richard Hamilton,Shawn Marion or Ron Artest.
2000 - #2 Stromile Swift - another shitty draft and shitty player for the last 1st rounder for Vancouver.
Kind of also the era when guys right out of HS were joining the NBA. So many young kids either HS or one and done. Not ready to carry/lead a team. I mean, in today's NBA which isn't as physical, how many of the top 3 picks lead their team on a rookie contract?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad