NBA Expansion!

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Seattle should top the list but they need to get the arena deal finalized first. That happens and they'll probably get their team back.

It would be cool to see the Grizzlies return as well. Basketball is much bigger in Canada now and hopefully the team wouldn't be mismanaged like they were before.

Just look at their draft history:

1995 - Bryant Reeves (6th overall)
1996 - Shareef Abdur-Rahim (3rd overall)
1997 - Antonio Daniels (4th overall)
1998 - Mike Bibby (2nd overall)
1999 - Steve Francis (2nd overall)
2000 - Stromile Swift (2nd overall)

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Well Chris Hansen (Seattle) is likely stilll interested in a team should the NBA grant him one. Then he'll build that arena he made plans for 5 years ago.

I think VAN would be a great choice for another team. Charlotte got a second chance (just a few seasons after their team left too), New Orleans got a second chance etc. They have an arena that can work right away and their old logo was awesome.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Seattle should top the list but they need to get the arena deal finalized first. That happens and they'll probably get their team back.

It would be cool to see the Grizzlies return as well. Basketball is much bigger in Canada now and hopefully the team wouldn't be mismanaged like they were before.

They also drafted Shane Battier (6th) in 2001 & traded Rahim for Gasol right after the draft that year.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Lol Big Country. Now that's a blast from the past.

Just look at that core!

images

Shareef was actually good and Bibby wasn't bad but they missed on so many better players with those picks. Raptors drafted Stoudamire, McGrady, and Carter after the Grizzlies picked in three of those drafts.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Its already hard enough for smaller markets to retain talent or attract talent

Omaha and Louisville will struggle mightily in that aspect

And Mexico City is a pipedream ,, Many players wont want to go there and move/relocate families if traded

I bet we would see endless amount of players involved in deals with Mexico City not reporting after trade

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
If Pittsburgh gets a team, is it a guarantee that their colors would be black and gold?

It has to be. All other pro teams has those colors. No way a Pitt NBA team will combobreak the trend.

As much as I like a Vancouver team, I tried doing both Seattle and Vancouver in the same league, and I couldn't manage the divisions. Seattle is the obvious first expansion team choice. I think the 2nd expansion team would have to be on the eastern US. Pittsburgh, while small, has the most modern arena that can house an NBA team. Louisville is the next best choice. Baltimore could be an option if they would build a modern arena. The Hampton Roads is a pipe dreams even in my expansion idea. I really doubt the NBA will go the NHL ways and add the teams 1 at a time.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Louisville is an intriguing option. Kentucky has no major league sports at this time and Basketball is huge in the state. You would have a team that U of L and U of Kentucky fans can root for together. Maybe a little too close for the Indiana Pacers comfort, but having an entire state to draw from helps their case. The KFC Yum! Center would probably have some scheduling conflicts though, but probably not a big deal.

Pittsburgh, I'm sure the residents would support a team but it seems to me the city is fine as a 3 sport town. Ditto Vegas being right now a one-sport town w/ the NFL possibly on the horizon.

Not sure about Vancouver, probably would be a better draw for free agents now than it was 15-20 years ago so that should help their case, but is it enough? I doubt it.

Forget Omaha and Mexico City.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Just look at that core!

images

Shareef was actually good and Bibby wasn't bad but they missed on so many better players with those picks. Raptors drafted Stoudamire, McGrady, and Carter after the Grizzlies picked in three of those drafts.

False, the Raptors did not draft Carter. The Warriors did. Then the Warriors shipped Carter to the Raptors for the player they drafted: Antawn Jamison.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
False, the Raptors did not draft Carter. The Warriors did. Then the Warriors shipped Carter to the Raptors for the player they drafted: Antawn Jamison.

NBA has weird rules about trading picks on draft day. Most of the time teams already have a trade agreed to and are picking for each other. So while the Warriors technically drafted Carter, it's almost a certainty they were picking him for Toronto.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
NBA has weird rules about trading picks on draft day. Most of the time teams already have a trade agreed to and are picking for each other. So while the Warriors technically drafted Carter, it's almost a certainty they were picking him for Toronto.

True, but technically the Warriors drafted him.

I was just being a stickler. :sarcasm:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
If they think small markets that currently exist have issues retaining/attracting free agents, what hope would an Omaha NBA team have?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

They weren't allowed to get the first overall for 3 years. That's what killed the team more than anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad